I decided to cut open a Fl820s & a Amsoil eao11

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
its not about surface area, its about the filters actual filtration properties.

that being said, im not a believer in the crazy expensive oil filters. I buy Fram ToughGuard :shrug:

Fram makes truly terrible filters.

I always put in a new FL820S every time I change my oil. It's only a few bucks. :shrug:

Nothing wrong with a stock Motorcraft. I use Wix (Napa Gold) on the L and my Jeep. If I were going to use one of the more expensive aftermarket filters it would be a Royal Purple. I really like the filter medium they use.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Ive seen several fram filters get sucked closed or come apart..and not on high hp cars either. I have always run Motorcraft filters..or a Napa gold when i couldnt get to the dealer.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Fram makes truly terrible filters.

. If I were going to use one of the more expensive aftermarket filters it would be a Royal Purple. I really like the filter medium they use.

Interesting I have never seen a Royal P oil filter, what kind of media do they use?
synthetic, cellulose , a combo of both?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree about Fram filters. They're junk. I used one once and actually ended up with a ticking noise. Removed the Fram filter and went back to a Motorcraft filter and the noise was gone. IMO use any high quality filter (including the Motorcraft) and you're fine. I, too, changed my filter (and oil) every 5-6K miles.

RussZTT

Established Member
Before using Amsoil filters, I have always used Frame filters. Never ever had a problem with them.

GraphicNature

Viewer Discretion Advised
Established Member
I use Motorcraft filters and Shell oil... Always! Rotella T in the F150 right now and Pennzoil in the Mustang. If its good enough for Ferrari and Audi to win championships on, then its good enough for my Fords.

WIX are good filters also. Stay away from Fram.

Last edited:

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
I just started using amsoil (with 100k on the car) after I found out a family friend was a supplier. Seems like decent stuff. I always used Mobil1 before.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Wow you guys are looking at the filters all wrong. The Amsoil has superior filtration compared to Motorcraft despite how big the filter looks. There is nothing wrong running with Motorcraft filters, just that anti-drain back ring is small, and has a tin foil spring thingy ftl.

The Amsoil has synthetic media filtering vs the Motorcraft paper filtering. It's clear, cut and dry to me.

Plus, the Amsoil filter has a better micron rating then the Motorcraft. It will literally keep your oil clean for a very long time.

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Ive seen several fram filters get sucked closed or come apart..and not on high hp cars either. I have always run Motorcraft filters..or a Napa gold when i couldnt get to the dealer.

Both myself and my father-in-law have had this happen. It is scary going down the road and the filter splits and starts spewing oil. Thank goodness it was in my Bronco so all I had to do was slide under it and put a new one on and add more oil. The same thing happen to my father-in-laws pickup and we had to do the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread