I checked out an SRT-4

Barracuda

Established Member
I'm very hopeful that the SVT Focus gets a s/c or tubro in a couple of years with AWD to boot. I think it'll be one sweet ride. I'll probably trade the 2002 in on it.

1stSVT

Established Member
Barracuda, My argument is not with you. It is for Beecha. Sorry I didn't put quotes with my rant.
I know you own your SVTF and like it still, but Beecha sounds like he is mad about his purchase of the SVTF. I just wanted to know why he got a 170HP car when he likes to "drag race at heart,?"

Nothing against you Barracuda. Really nothing against Beecha either just wanted to ask him questions about his replies.

Barracuda

Established Member
It's cool dude. But I don't like my SVT Focus...I love it! It's a great car and I love the interior better than my WRX (though the WRX seats hold you in better). It basically comes down to preference and what you want to do with both cars. That's why I own both! (Plus a 1967 Mustang coupe) :D

beecha91

Established Member
Originally posted by 1stSVT
Barracuda, My argument is not with you. It is for Beecha. Sorry I didn't put quotes with my rant.
I know you own your SVTF and like it still, but Beecha sounds like he is mad about his purchase of the SVTF. I just wanted to know why he got a 170HP car when he likes to "drag race at heart,?"

Nothing against you Barracuda. Really nothing against Beecha either just wanted to ask him questions about his replies.

Well, When the SVTF was first coming out back in 02', everyone EVERYONE wanted one. You had to fight just to find one to buy when they first came out. Along with waiting forever for them to start making them again after the several recalls and mishaps. Me being a diehard Ford freak, I wanted a fun daily driver over my ranger also put less miles on the stang. When the SVTF first was coming out no one really knew the car or what it was like. Hell I had to buy the car before I even got to really drive it. I thought with the 6spd, 170 hp the car would be quicker than it really was. I was really shocked with the handling dont get me wrong. So after a year of using the car for what it was made for, taking corners at will and eating up cloverleafs at 80mph. It was fun, I slowly did mods along the way, thinking itd get faster. It didnt, and I got bored of the car. So I traded it in.. ;-)

1stSVT

Established Member
Damn that sucks you didn't get what you wanted. At least you traded it in and got what ya wanted.

Controversey = fun thread:beer:

cmezip

Established Member
If I was gonna spend that much I would get a WRX, just looking at the engine bay is enough to make me not want it.:xpl:

Frangipannee

Established Member
The SRT-4 looks pretty cool from the front and side, but what's with that jacked-up look to the rear end(on ALL Neons)and the dumb-looking, oversize spoiler? A smaller, flatter spoiler would really compliment the car, though the one Dodge uses would be handy for pulling an SRT-4 out of a ditch at the side of the road!

1stSVT

Established Member
The srt-4 wing is just a way of saying "Look at me!", where as the styling of the SVTF is more of a suttle racer style. I like the srt-4 style though. Pulling it out of ditches with its wing was a funny point though. :lol:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by cmezip
If I was gonna spend that much I would get a WRX, just looking at the engine bay is enough to make me not want it.:xpl:

But thats the thing... you wouldnt be spending that much on an SRT-4. Between a WRX and an SRT-4 there is about a 8 to 10 thousand dollar difference after you get done adding all the options to a WRX. Thats why the SRT-4 is such a great buy. You get everything for your 19,995$. As far as options go, the only thing the WRX has on the SRT-4 is AWD.

To be perfectly honest, if I had 28 grand to spend, you better beleive I'd be buying a Mach1 before that WRX.

With ford offering 3000 dollar rebates on Mustang GT's and Mach1's, you'ed almost have to be out of your mind not to choose either of those cars over a WRX.

Last edited:

Primaris

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
With ford offering 3000 dollar rebates on Mustang GT's and Mach1's, you'ed almost have to be out of your mind not to choose either of those cars over a WRX.

Except for the fact that a WRX out handles a mustang.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Primaris
Except for the fact that a WRX out handles a mustang.

I mentioned the WRX had AWD.

Bottom line is your getting more car with the Mustang for your money. Especially when you compare a 28 thousand dollar WRX to the 24 thousand you'll end up spending on a Mach1.

Its easier to soup up a suspension than keep a 4 cylinder engine that has to be launched at nearly 6 grand, to acheive its optimal performance, maintained. Besides that... I dont care if I was driving around in a Cobra with a 12,000 dollar Kenny brown tuned suspension package that would enable me to run with a 360 around a road course. What good will that do me at a stop light or racing from a roll on the interstate? (AWD is great for launching yes, but since the standard WRX is only good for a low 14 I dont think a Mach1 owner has too much to worry about)

Also, keep in mind were talking about the standard WRX, not the STI. The standard WRX retaining the punier 1.9 liter, which makes it all the more difficult for it to bare the strain of a launch at 6000RPMs.

Last edited:

Primaris

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
I mentioned the WRX had AWD.

AWD does not equal better handleing. The WRX has a better suspension than the Mustang. 90% of the cars on the road have a better suspension than a mustang.

Besides that... I dont care if I was driving around in a Cobra with a 12,000 dollar Kenny brown tuned suspension package that would enable me to run with a 360 around a road course. What good will that do me at a stop light or racing from a roll on the interstate? (AWD is great for launching yes, but since the standard WRX is only good for a low 14 I dont think a Mach1 owner has too much to worry about)

Well drag racing is for people who can't drive. But, if that is your thing why waste money on a stang? Buy a used camero and you have a much better platform for building up. Plus, it can turn and go fast too. Not trying to dis Ford engines but the SB Chevy is almost unlimited in what you can do and parts are cheaper.

1stSVT

Established Member
Well first of all the WRX and the Mustang are 2 completly different cars. Road course car=WRX Drag racing=Mustang.
So, it really depends on what your looking for in a car.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Yea, i could give two shits if the wrx ran 11's. If i were to buy another japaneese car again it would be a 94 miata to put a blown V8 in. I loved my 93 rx7 tt, except for the whole electical-total failure-and fire part:whine:

Not too crazy about being a subaru owner. I already know my next car is going to be an 06 cobra monster. I just bought this to have fun and stop spending more money on my GT for now.

svt73

Established Member
well guys evrything its about rhit but here are some facts i have 02 SVTF 10 psi VORTECH SCTtuning dyno 247, WHP 201 TRQ.. and i bit srt-4 whit boost control and stock , and my dayno i did on mustang dayno ( they said that this dyno is lower then the dyno jet , so i have more power,
the fact is srt-4 stage one turbo up grade its very tide race ,
srt-4 stage 2 he will take u down......cars that I bit ..
350 z
mazda 6
04 mustang GT stock

Last edited:

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
svt73 said:
well guys evrything its about rhit but here are some facts i have 02 SVTF 10 psi VORTECH SCTtuning dyno 247, WHP 201 TRQ.. and i bit srt-4 whit boost control and stock , and my dayno i did on mustang dayno ( they said that this dyno is lower then the dyno jet , so i have more power,
350 z
mazda 6
04 mustang GT stock

rhit? bit? tide? you mean right, beat, and tied? and talk about back from the dead. They are uncomparable in price range and power wise. Turbo'd 4 for 24 or N/A 4 for 18-19. I would never drive a Mopar. My friends SRT4 constantly has wiring and electrical problems, along with his dad's Chrylser and Dodge P/U. The electrical systems on Mopars are always F***ing up! I would rather take Ford's mechanical problems (cause Im handy with wrenches) over wiring electrical bugs that are near impossible to track down.

FBMphil

Established Member
svt73 said:
350 z
mazda 6
04 mustang GT stock
Holy shit, are you 6 years old? Incomprehensible man.

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
From personal experience I can say that Chrysler products are the most horendously un-reliable products ever. MY friend had a 97 Intrepid and it whiped two engines out within the first 100k. The transmission was on it's way out too, and the brakes never lasted very long either. We had a Dodge pickup at one point for light duty work and it died after a few years. My brother has had three Jeeps, all of them had nightmare cooling problems and wiring gremlins, not to mention one complete engine failure.

I would never buy a Dodge, and I think that the SRT-4 is an absolute horrific creation from a styling perspective. I definitely have to tip my hat to it's performance specs though.

Users who are viewing this thread