I checked out an SRT-4

1stSVT

Established Member
Well my Foci friends I checked out an SRT-4 today and here are my findings:
1. The engine note is awesome.
2. The engine bay is stuffed.
3. The seats are really good.
4. The clutch felt good, but the boot and the knob felt and looked cheap. (stay with me here, feel and look cheap will come up often)
5. $21,500 sticker----Then it had a sticker beside it in the window with the letters "LOA" and $3,000. I asked what that was for-"Lack of availability". So, $24,500 for this thing.
6. Power windows up front but, manual windows in the rear. WTF
7. The dash was cheap looking-real "plasticky" feeling.
8. Rear seats didn't have 60/40
9. The emergency brake lever didn't have leather grip or a leather bag. It was cheap and plastic feeling.
10. Big sunroof, but the button looked out of place and cheap looking.
11. No cruise control!!! WTF

Overall it was a cool car. Obviously all the money was put into the engine and suspension, nothing else. Well the boost gauge was cool looking. The wheel package was ok. The wheels looked dull, but the tires were grippy!!
I just think for the money I would still buy the SVTF. We have more for the money. Cruise, 4 power windows, HID lights, 6 disc in dash, radio and cruise buttons on the wheel, 60/40 rear seats, so on and so on. Like the car but I was a little disapointed with some of the ammenities.

Let me know if you guys have looked at one.
Also, who would win---WRX vs SRT-4 in the quarter and SVTF vs SRT-4 in the twisties??

Thanks DS:-D

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Pretty good commentary :thumbsup:

Id say the WRX will wax the SRT off the Line & Cross the Line 1st.
Off the Line the WRX cannot loss grip :eek:

As for the Twisties....sorry i have a Focus Daily Driver but the way it feels :nonono: Im sure the SVTF feels 1000000% better.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Pretty good commentary :thumbsup:

Id say the WRX will wax the SRT off the Line & Cross the Line 1st.
Off the Line the WRX cannot loss grip :eek:

As for the Twisties....sorry i have a Focus Daily Driver but the way it feels :nonono: Im sure the SVTF feels 1000000% better.

ive scared the shit out of several of my mustang bretheren around turns with mine :p

quivvy

Whaaaaack.....
Established Member
wrx would take Srt 4 off the line. think the srt4 may win top end speed tho? we can take a fricken WRX top end. or be damned closed. my first time up at a track event i was right behind 3. passed em all :) raped em in the corners, and stayed on em in the straights. they pulled a little better. but we have better brakes, better handling, and nicer ameneties(sp?). and SRT4 vs SVTF in twisties.... close.

SilverOH3SVT

Jettai Master/Texas LEO
Established Member
Originally posted by svo_dave
The new SRT-4 will outhandle svt focus, you know why, 2 words, limited slip!

Are you serious?:nonono:

The SRT/4 has nothing on the SVTF on the Auto-X or Road Race. I know because I drove an SRT/4 for a good while. And I drov the hell outta it. I'm not saying the SVTF is better because I own one, hell, the SRT/4 owns the SVTF in the straightaways. But take it to the curves and......Well, need I say more?:shrug:

The SVTF is a better toy IMHO.:thumbsup:

svo_dave

Established Member
Beleieve what you want, but stats don't lie. The srt-4 will out accelerate, out braek, and now with the addition of limited slip, outhande the svt.

JoeJoe

Established Member
Ford vs Dodge

thanks for this thread 1stsvtf. I was tempted when I went to drive the SVTF to go next door and drive the SRT-4 but decided to stay a loyal Ford person. My dad has had a few Dodge trucks in previous years and I was not impressed like I wanted to be with the Dodges. I just think, for the money, the SVTF is hard to beat.

Joe:beer:

Dino S.

Established Member
Originally posted by ZX2Down
srt-4 is known for not so great handling, the srt4 is 1/4 car the svtF is a autocross car

Not that i necessarily disagree with that statement, but ZX2Down is a ricer and a moron, don't listen to anything he says.

1stSVT

Established Member
Keep it coming guys!!:beer: This is great to get some real opinions and some real life experiences out there on here. Not too many people around here own SRT-4's or WRX's for that matter, let alone the few that I do see keep them looking nice.

wrx would take Srt 4 off the line. think the srt4 may win top end speed tho? we can take a fricken WRX top end. or be damned closed. my first time up at a track event i was right behind 3. passed em all raped em in the corners, and stayed on em in the straights. they pulled a little better. but we have better brakes, better handling, and nicer ameneties(sp?). and SRT4 vs SVTF in twisties.... close.

Quivvy--are you serious? That is cool. Other than the annoying little things that people have talked about on here this car is a real fun ride!:) If they would just put some more balls under the hood.

Oh yeah I forgot a couple of other things: We also have the cold weather package (heated seats, heated mirrors, and engine block heater) (Trust me I live in Columbus Ohio and the winter can be a pain in the a$$ at times), we have a power up/down driver seat, and the FU%$#@! traction control.

I know what you guys are thinking: once your in position you never move the seat, so who needs a power seat---Me because I want as much goodies for the least amount of money! Plus, I have a wife who likes to move the seat sometimes.:rockon: Also, the TC drives me NUTS, but try pulling out in front of someone w/o it and all you do is look like an A$$ peeling out---been there done that. You guys will like TC in the winter b/c it keeps you from over accelerating and just sitting there spinning (trust me on this my VW Passat had this and it saved me last winter)

So, I get all these fun goodies for the same price as an SRT-4 would cost me. No little things that keep you loving your car after the newness wears off. The dumba$$ salesman said "If I can get that LOA (lack of availability $3,000) can we put some numbers together?" So, are they saying the loa is a joke or what? Morons!!:nono: Damn STEALERSHIPS are so rigged it ain't funny.
I on the other hand will be smiling with my $18,000 SVTF fully loaded "rig" cruising down I-70 with a grin from ear to ear.
I will now step down from my soapbox. Comments are welcome.:rockon:

Primaris

Established Member
Originally posted by svo_dave
Beleieve what you want, but stats don't lie. The srt-4 will out accelerate, out braek, and now with the addition of limited slip, outhande the svt.

If this was true how come I smoked one today on the autocross course? :beer:

svo_dave

Established Member
Congrats, but in auto-x alot depends on driver, alot. Just look at the numbers of the new SRT-4, does outbrake svt 60-0, does out accelerate (a given), and it handled almost as good as svt before, and know with limited slip it handles better. Numbers don't lie.

ZX2Down

Established Member
Originally posted by Dino S.
Not that i necessarily disagree with that statement, but ZX2Down is a ricer and a moron, don't listen to anything he says.

your a dick and an ignorant ass hole u dont see me bitching, and his definition of rice is anyone who would rather make a low 1/4 i4 than buy a low 1/4 v8

1stSVT

Established Member
So svo-dave which would you rather have? The SRT-4 or the SVTF? I only ask b/c you seem to not like the SVTF.
Think about it, you can get a base SVTF for about $18,500 then get the Vortech for, I think $4,500, then smoke the SRT-4 for a grand total of about $23,000. I may be wrong and I am definetly not that savvy about all the numbers, but I have seen articles with the SVTF with the Vortech somewhere around 240-250hp. Correct me if I'm wrong.:shrug:

svo_dave

Established Member
NO, I would never own SRT-4, I love the SVT Focus, and I own a SVT Focus. The new SRT-4 is simply a better performing car out of the box.

As far as Vortech SVTF beating SRT-4, I don't know, but I doubt it. One guy who has vortech claims to have beaton one, but also stated that he really hasn't rodded his car yet, and I know you couldn't beat a SRT-4 without rodding it. He pulled like 235hp and I am thinking 190 torque, were as the new neon should pull close to 250 whp and a little more than that torque, stock, so I think the neon would still have the advantage, it does weigh more, but all that torque, and it comes in at very low rpm.

Last edited:

svo_dave

Established Member
Well I wanted to check numbers to make sure the new neon was dynoing that high of number stock, and I was wrong. The 04 neon ((the one with limited slip)not sure if the 03's had it) dyno'd 248 Peak hp amd 278 lb-ft of torque, bone stock on a dynojet. Thats pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread