I checked out an SRT-4

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Kenosha Chris
I just would have a hard time buying a MOPAR. They have had quality problems since the 60's. One of my drivers has had 2 new Ram pickups and they spent a ton of time trying to fix them both.

Mopars changed quite a bit in the last 5 years with Dhimalers intervention. "Its still the same old dodge" expression, for once in the history of Chrysler, is not true anymore.

Last edited:

svo_dave

Established Member
The torque is whats really impressive... upwards of 270lbs and thats out of an I4

If you think thats impressive you should check out the ford 2.3, I have seen those through down some huge torque numbers.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by svo_dave
If you think thats impressive you should check out the ford 2.3, I have seen those through down some huge torque numbers.

Now which cars bare the 2.3? (so I can check em out)

svo_dave

Established Member
Mustang SVO, thunderchicken turbocoupe, mercury couger xr something I think, and merkur xr4ti. The 85.5 and 86 svo's had the best variants of the 2.3's, though the number's weren't the best stock, through on a exhaust and bleeder valve, maybe k&n and you could see 225 whp and 300+ torque easy.

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by svo_dave
Yup. I've heard of several running low 10s/high 9s

JoeJoe

Established Member
Well, sounds like the SRT-4 is a hot little number anyways. The look of the car just didn't grow on me. It looks like a teenager car to me, whereas the Focus is more Euro looking or something..better for us old farts.....lol

Joe

1stSVT

Established Member
You really cant complain for 21 thousand though... Thats a real bargain for turbocharged intercooled engine.

I agree wholeheartedly! Both companies obviously went for two different purposes. We all know if SVT wanted to make the SVTF with 250 ponies then it would, but my opinion and this is only my opinion here, Ford wanted to show they could build a car that was affordable and have tons of ammenities while still be very respectable in it's I-4 world. Hell Ford proved they can build vehicles that can go 12's stock, 03' Cobra and Lightning, but with the Foci it went a different route. Now they are looking at SC the Foci to build upon its short, but respectable history.
Think about it SVT could have put the Terminator together alot sooner than they did.
My $.02
DS :p

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
the standard neons eat trannys and have head problems, my brothers daily driver knocked like bitch when you started it after 20k miles. Give them a year and see what breaks. SVT focis can be fussy too, but dodges flat out break shit.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by 1stSVT
I agree wholeheartedly! Both companies obviously went for two different purposes. We all know if SVT wanted to make the SVTF with 250 ponies then it would, but my opinion and this is only my opinion here, Ford wanted to show they could build a car that was affordable and have tons of ammenities while still be very respectable in it's I-4 world. Hell Ford proved they can build vehicles that can go 12's stock, 03' Cobra and Lightning, but with the Foci it went a different route. Now they are looking at SC the Foci to build upon its short, but respectable history.
Think about it SVT could have put the Terminator together alot sooner than they did.
My $.02
DS :p

The suspension on the svt foci is very sophisticated and it drives with a lot of finesse. Its not always about the drag strip, the little foci beats the Z06 on the slalom by more then 2mph with half the tire, i cant wait to autocross it againt my mustang breatheren at the club meets next season:thumbsup:

1stSVT

Established Member
The suspension on the svt foci is very sophisticated and it drives with a lot of finesse. Its not always about the drag strip, the little foci beats the Z06 on the slalom by more then 2mph with half the tire, i cant wait to autocross it againt my mustang breatheren at the club meets next season

I agree. They are a blast to fly down twisty country roads. I can see my wifes face now.

:eek:

I also like that it can beat a Porsche Boxster on the slalom.:thumbsup:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
the standard neons eat trannys and have head problems, my brothers daily driver knocked like bitch when you started it after 20k miles. Give them a year and see what breaks. SVT focis can be fussy too, but dodges flat out break shit.

I cant speak on behalf of the transmissions, but the SRT-4 2.4liter I4 does have alot of stronger engine components than the standard neon.

CanadaSVT

Torque Inspector
Established Member
When you get down to the nitty-gritty, the srt4 is still a stinking DODGE, just like the viper! in less than 5 years it will be a pile of junk!

CanadaSVT

Torque Inspector
Established Member
If I had to choose a small, econobox, fast, fun car for FREE, it would be the COOPER S for sure. BUT I really love my SVTFocus for what I paid for it! Can't compare anything for the price.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by CanadaSVT
When you get down to the nitty-gritty, the srt4 is still a stinking DODGE, just like the viper! in less than 5 years it will be a pile of junk!

Since a good majority of Chrysler cars are designed, or given the OK by its german counterpart... the days of dodges being piles of junk within 5 years are over.

cincySVTfocus

Established Member
I owned a 2002 WRX brand new in May 2001. What a great car. I thought it was awesome.....until.....I bought my 2003 SVT Focus 3 weeks ago.

It lacks the low end kick the WRX's turbo afforded, but in the higher RPM, it pulls!

The all wheel drive is NOT all it is cracked up to be. The SVT Focus is a much better dancer, hands down.

My father in law works for Chrysler and I could have gottent he SRT 4 cheaper, but eventhough it has the muscle..the looks suck as well as the interior....

The only things I can find wrong with the SVTF are:

1. CD player does not play CD-R.
2. No lock on the glovebox
3. Lack of interior console storage.....

What is the cheapest way to add low end torque to the SVTF?

Barracuda

Established Member
I currently own both the SVT Focus and a WRX. Stock for stock the SVT Focus out handles the WRX. In defense of the WRX though, I have to say the RE92 tires are complete crap. Now that I have better tires on it, I'd have to say it's a much closer comparison with the SVT still doing a little better. As soon as I upgrade the suspension on the WRX, it won't be close. Though there is a lot of hype concerning AWD, it's pretty freaking nice. I don't see a whole lot of people going 65 mph around a 30 mph turn and going sideways. I've done it. It's freaking sweet. I'd take AWD anyday over FWD or RWD. I wouldn't have a WRX if they'd sell an AWD SVT Focus in the states.

Though I like the SVT Focus (it's interior is wonderful equaling that of $30,000+ cars) it is severly underpowered. The WRX will eat it alive at any speed even from a roll.

If you want to add more low end torque to your SVT Focus, the BEST way is to do the V8 swap out ;-) Other than that, get nitrous or the Jackson racing supercharger.

As far as the SRT-4 goes, I've already raced one in my WRX and beat it (from a roll no less). I'm pretty sure he was stock (I'm not). I think it's a great car for the money, but I'm just not a Dodge fan. To each their own.

Barracuda

Established Member
LOL, I have a hard time when WRC comes on. I want to cheer on Subaru AND Ford! However, I usually want Ford to win since I've been a Ford guy for years, starting with my 67 Mustang.

JoeJoe

Established Member
Ford vs Suburu Vs Dodge

the thing that is tough about this discussion is that all the cars are different or unique at the same time. I mean cmon the Subaru should out handle and out run both the SVTF and the SRT-4 with its AWD and Turbo. I mean, how can you debate that traction at all 4 tires is not better, and how can you debate that a Turbo won't give you more power...........you can't.

What I like though, is that SVTF is a nice looking and comfortable car that has decent HP and drives good and is still NA. Dodge seems to have given up interior comfort and quality for a Turbo, and Subaru...is still ugly.....lol.....So take an SVTF make it AWD and put a Turbo on it and then where would this dicussion go?...hehe

Joe

:burnout:

Barracuda

Established Member
Even with a turbo or s/c, I think the SVT Focus would have a hard time beating either the Dodge or the Suby. As far as handling goes, the Focus is tuned by SVT. Mine is just the regular WRX, not the STi. If we were comparing top of the line models, I think the STi would win in every category between these three cars. It's apples and oranges, but I like both! As far as looks go, I have to admit the Focus looks much better than the WRX or Neon though I think the WRBlue is a better looking color than Sonic Blue (both of mine are blue).

Users who are viewing this thread