Hydrogen - Please Lord

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL, this guy knows everything. Governments can incentivize and make mandates, its the people that are in control. Will the people trade vehicles that have zero restrictions for a vehicle that takes hours to charge? Time will tell.
People like to talk a good game but when PCTS they value convenience.

Far too many uncertainties and unanswered questions still hover around electric vehicles.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Feds are encouraging us to switch from CNG to hydrogen on our next bus purchase. Hydrogen will come from....natural gas leaving CO and CO2 as waste. Turns out our electric grid can't handle us going electric.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
we bought a hybrid pacifica late last year. about two months ago, when the morning temp dipped to high 30s/40. we noticed the range on all electric dropped quite a bit. the service advisor said that happens when its cold. i cant imagine how it would be for people where its actually cold. i was just reading this morning about someone with a tesla in canada where they lost about 30% of their range due to how cold it was outside. and i believe they said it takes longer to charge (i think they said that).

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Hydrogen cars already exist and are on sale today. See Toyota Mirai

While the government may want to try to mandate EV's, the overwhelming majority of consumers do not want them.

Also there are those pesky little things like energy production capacity and the transmission of that energy.

Any considerable increase of the current fleet to EV's is a dream that's decades off at best.

So unless there is a bunch of new nuclear plants coming online soon, and a massive expansion of the current grid. Or they can somehow get rid of the little people owning cars. It's all just vaporware.

right now toyota is practically begging people to grab those certified mirais coming off of lease. i talked to my daughter about it as her college commuter car but i think she would end up putting herself into situations where she would run out of fuel. and the fuel stations shut down at a certain time at night... toyota is offering 0% financing and a $16k fuel gift card.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
we bought a hybrid pacifica late last year. about two months ago, when the morning temp dipped to high 30s/40. we noticed the range on all electric dropped quite a bit. the service advisor said that happens when its cold. i cant imagine how it would be for people where its actually cold. i was just reading this morning about someone with a tesla in canada where they lost about 30% of their range due to how cold it was outside. and i believe they said it takes longer to charge (i think they said that).

30% is nothing.

Last year we got in a Mach E with the extended battery. It was 50 or so. The charge went to right at 305 miles.

The next week, it was -15 or so.

Full charge was 125 miles.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL, this guy knows everything. Governments can incentivize and make mandates, its the people that are in control. Will the people trade vehicles that have zero restrictions for a vehicle that takes hours to charge? Time will tell.

The government took us from energy independence to dependence. It is now attacking E85 calling it more harmful just a few years after praising how clean it is. Governments are banning ICE vehicles, governments are going after aftermarket vehicles. You don’t think they will make it impossible for companies to keep ICE parts on shelves? Or regulate shops to death?

Mavericks and Ridgelines are for guys that have joint FB accounts and tailgate before Curling matches.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No, they won't do it.

Government has already gone past the PONR on the demolishing of ICE.
Agreed! And Ford has made it obvious they are moving faster to all EV. There's no turning back. EV is way past being a new and developing technology. It's a wave that is moving too fast to stop or slow down. So, no, I don't see a hydrogen ICE engine pushing forward to production at this point. JMO.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
we bought a hybrid pacifica late last year. about two months ago, when the morning temp dipped to high 30s/40. we noticed the range on all electric dropped quite a bit. the service advisor said that happens when its cold.

Notice such a thing is rarely (if ever) mentioned which should be addressed. Everyone knows temp effects battery charge but it seems quite hush hush when dealing with electric cars.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Hydrogen Infrastructure is being planned and built to supply long haul trucking fuel cells. Does that imply enough to support auto's? I agree it is a long shot. But I also think hydrogen issues are more easily solved than increasing battery density, urban no inside parking and rare earth mining issues for full scale EV production. Many countries and locations have declined the honor of strip mining their landscape and current mining location are cutting back, not expanding.

@James Snover Good and valid comments however, engineering fiddly bits! :)

I merely posit that a twelve-cylinder Ferrari running on hydrogen will be a LOT more desirable than the EV version.
Yeah, but another name for "engineering fiddly bits," is: "that which explodes if you don't get it figured out."

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Notice such a thing is rarely (if ever) mentioned which should be addressed. Everyone knows temp effects battery charge but it seems quite hush hush when dealing with electric cars.
I realize there may be design differences between the two. However I’ve seen rechargeable batteries for power tools delay charging for up to 2 hours because the pack was either 2 warm or to cold. Then once they do start charging they take forever. I will never own an electric only vehicle. Hybrid maybe but I will never put myself in a situation where I could be stuck with no way to get anywhere or stuck on the road because of a dead EV battery.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Certainly there are differences but the principal remains constant: Temperature has THE greatest impact on charge/discharge of batteries.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Agreed! And Ford has made it obvious they are moving faster to all EV. There's no turning back. EV is way past being a new and developing technology. It's a wave that is moving too fast to stop or slow down. So, no, I don't see a hydrogen ICE engine pushing forward to production at this point. JMO.
They are installing a "quick charger" at the Dealership I work at. A "quick charger" needs 440 volts and pulls over 130 amps.
The electrician installing the unit said that if the 6 Dealerships on the road that this Dealership is on all have a car on a "quick charger" at the same time the grid would go down. There is not enough capacity to feed that much demand, and still provide for the rest of the load on the system.
You can't just flip a switch and provide more capacity to the grid. It takes a major overhaul to the system to feed the demand.
It is only going to get worse.

mariusvt

Established Member
How about in 8 years when the car is worth less than zero?
Have no fear, after you've paid that 7-8 year loan you took to buy it, you'll be ready for the 5-7 year note to replace the 20-25k battery pack.

Even if the grid is figured out, charging is figured out, OEM better cover that battery no questions asked for 10-15 years(a pipe dream)

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Can’t imagine what a person’s electric bill will look like charging their car every night plus doing a quick charge if needed.

rborden

Established Member
Back in the early 2000’s there was a website called

switch2hydrogen dot com that uses 4 scuba style sized hydrogen tanks and powered a 90’s vette for 650 miles. It included a conversion kit and worked on any 70’s+ ICE.

That project mysteriously disappeared in 2009 I think.

The internet is indeed forever lol.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Yes, because people are stupid and don't think long term.

When they can't charge their cars on certain days or the grid lacks evergy for everyone, they won't have the cranial capacity to think back to their choices. It'll be "oh well this is still fine at least I still have such and such" to try to justify it.

EVs are a honeypot, like expensive smartphones free with two year contracts. Getting everyone hooked then they'll change the rules.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Yes, because people are stupid and don't think long term.

When they can't charge their cars on certain days or the grid lacks evergy for everyone, they won't have the cranial capacity to think back to their choices. It'll be "oh well this is still fine at least I still have such and such" to try to justify it.

EVs are a honeypot, like expensive smartphones free with two year contracts. Getting everyone hooked then they'll change the rules.

And not to mention if these mandates kicked in the cost of Lithium would increase substantially and we would be dependent on who ever produces it.

As demand for electric goes up so will the price of electric, it's simple supply and demand.

To put the reality of EV's cars on our grid in simple terms. Have you ever had one too many things plugged into an outlet and then turn one of them on and the lights flicker, or used a power saw and and had the same result. That's the initial draw of power for the device to start up.

When you plug in an EV it is pulling that full power the whole time, not just on start up.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
What joy it will be to come home every night to the quiet roar of diesel generators charging peoples cars because it's 90 degrees and the smart meter won't let you charge your car and run your a/c.

Users who are viewing this thread