Hurricane Florence

Dimitri318

Established Member
Wow, I didn't realize there were so many evacuation centers. I was mainly just curious about how that mass of people just "funnels" through to evac centers. Seems like it'd be chaotic

What restaurant, if I may ask? I only have a 3 mile commute so I can avoid the traffic insanity and Jay Gilstrap commercials. I don't get to see much of the outside world (by choice) so I had no idea the gas frenzy was going on. One tank of gas lasts me close to a month.

Jay Gilstrap, holy hell I literally just lmao. I own the Clock on Cedar Lane, the one with the big fried chicken sign on the building. I posted in a fried chicken thread here a couple weeks ago and told any svt members I would take care of their meal any time or to stop by on the way to Mustang Week but I haven’t seen anyone, I guess no one likes fried chicken lol. And we have the best gyros in down, i guarantee it. Sorry to derail thread, I’ll shut up now

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Jay Gilstrap, holy hell I literally just lmao. I own the Clock on Cedar Lane, the one with the big fried chicken sign on the building. I posted in a fried chicken thread here a couple weeks ago and told any svt members I would take care of their meal any time or to stop by on the way to Mustang Week but I haven’t seen anyone, I guess no one likes fried chicken lol. And we have the best gyros in down, i guarantee it. Sorry to derail thread, I’ll shut up now

lets be clear, I want some of that chicken its just a seriously long ass way away lol

Down here a lot of schools become storm shelters as well which opens up a lot of capacity. It can be a pain to get it but usually there are reimbursement programs to help with expenses of evacuating, replacing spoiled food etc...

Remember the danger isnt over just because the storm is gone - we see people get electrocuted because theyre out wandering around in the water and a downed power line goes live. Snakes and shit are everywhere looking for dry land and who knows wtf might be in the water (sewage etc...) when theres that much of it.

For God's sake if you use a generator keep it outside, I dunno how many people die every storm because they run it in a guest room with towels around the door or in the garage.

Thats a big ass storm, be smart and stay safe guys

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Remember the danger isnt over just because the storm is gone - we see people get electrocuted because theyre out wandering around in the water and a downed power line goes live
A local utility worker was killed last year when he was walking around after a storm on the job. He was with the natural gas company. A live line fell from a tree and hit him in back the head. He was a family from of my inlaws.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
A local utility worker was killed last year when he was walking around after a storm on the job. He was with the natural gas company. A live line fell from a tree and hit him in back the head. He was a family from of my inlaws.

thats some final destination type shit.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
My son's teacher died after a storm because a line had falling down in his yard 50 feet away. He didn't see it or didn't think nothing of it, as soon as he stepped off his sidewalk onto the grass, he fried.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
My son's teacher died after a storm because a line had falling down in his yard 50 feet away. He didn't see it or didn't think nothing of it, as soon as he stepped off his sidewalk onto the grass, he fried.

"thats some final destination type shit." x2

Which is why it's always best to stay inside as long as possible. That sucks.

Survive the storm, die due to a downed power line or generator fumes. Very unfortunate but preventable in most cases.
[bcolor=rgb(7, 7, 7)][/bcolor]

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Do not consider the GFS when it comes to intensity. The gfs is not an air-sea coupled model like the ECMWF is so it does not account for the upwelling (leads to colder SSTs) caused by the storm. This is why the gfs had Irma making landfall as a sub-900mb (insanely strong) storm last year.

The overall size and relatively slow speed are what are going to weaken the storm. The strong winds ahead of the eye cause more upwelling than if it was a smaller/weaker storm which causes the SSTs to be cooler by the time the eye gets there. Then, once the eye is actually there, it sits over the upwelled area longer because it is moving more slowly, causing even more upwelling and even cooler SSTs. This upwelling will occur pretty quickly because of how shallow the water is over the shelf.

As of right now, I think it's safe to say that there's no chance of Florence making a run for cat5. Expecting a cat3 or maybe even a cat2 storm force winds ahead of eye landfall. RULE OF THUMB - ALWAYS PLAN FOR 1 CATEGORY ABOVE WHAT IS FORECASTED.

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member

Oh geez! I go by there all the time- need to stop in and say hi sometime.

As for Jay Gilstrap and his constant audio-abuse of the entire upstate... My sister sent me pic related last night. I nearly died.

Attachments

• dealerforthepeople.jpg
    dealerforthepeople.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Well I’m eastbound towards the storm. I’ll keep a better eye out for downed lines this time....

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CV355

_
Established Member
The hurricane was just renamed to JEB due to its SURGING and TOUGH power.

Jeb.png

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
As of right now, I think it's safe to say that there's no chance of Florence making a run for cat5. Expecting a cat3 or maybe even a cat2 storm force winds ahead of eye landfall. RULE OF THUMB - ALWAYS PLAN FOR 1 CATEGORY ABOVE WHAT IS FORECASTED.
The rating is based on sustained wind speed. It's the rainfall that can end up being a huge factor and that is dependent on the category it is. Although im not saying ignore a possible gain in sustained wind strength.

Last edited:

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
It will make a mess. A stalled hurricane is a flood maker.

The panicked people will do the rest. They will empty gas stations and grocery stores.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app
Went through Fran and Floyd in North Carolina, yesterday's path had me worried. This one is much better due the the forecast drop in intensity before coming onshore. I feel for South Carolina, the flooding is going to be very bad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Inland hurricane prep. I have all of my normal camping equipment nearby.

Smoker is ready to go. Propane lanterns and stove have been pulled out. Flashlights have batteries. Water is stored.

I'm expecting power outages. Tree trimmers have been extremely busy today.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Inland hurricane prep. I have all of my normal camping equipment nearby.
Smoker is ready to go. Propane lanterns and stove have been pulled out. Flashlights have batteries. Water is stored.
I'm expecting power outages. Tree trimmers have been extremely busy today.
That's right. Atlanta is going to get some of this storm too, right??
Stay safe brother!

Users who are viewing this thread