Huff...Here goes..

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I'd rather not due to extreme fear of backlash.. :)

Oh alright..

It is a street legal 93 1.6 Miata with a Chris Howard cage, SCCA inspected with a current log book. At Com it is an ST4/SPC car which owns the ST4 class records at almost all the tracks that Com visits. The car has a hard top bolted on, A/C removed, fire system, kill switch, Momo seat and wheel, and has ultra shield harnesses.

To do 7 away events....this is what I can afford in terms of spares, fuel and consumables. Plus...if I ball it up...it won't break my heart...or the bank. I'm probably going for my competition lic in April so I'll need something that qualifies..

All the decals have been removed, but this is a fairly current photo.

st4.gif

steve121

Established Member
The car looks clean and will definitly be cheaper to feed than the Cobra. I've been at track events with some pretty fast Miata's. Good luck!

TroyV

Established Member
Thanks. I'm going for this one because I know the history of it, have shared the track with it, and it is completely sorted out. It has some very trick JIC coil overs and a bunch of other goodies.

It is a little tricky getting in and out with the cage. The car weighs 2370 with a full tank and no driver. I plan to drive it as it sits for the coming season, then decide what changes, if any I want to make. The class records this car owns are on RA-1's. It is going to be nice to see what the car can do on a real tire. I'm going to run hoosier R's for practice and A's for the TT days.

I'm looking forward to seeing what driving 10/10ths is like....what with all the good safety gear in place.

BlackStripes

Established Member
wow JIC coilovers are not cheap! Congrats.. .yeah yeah.. i have a sweet spot for Miata's. I own one now and i had a Mazdaspeed for a year.

One of the most difference i noticed turning-wise was when i got my 6UL wheels.. and 225 tires: 6UL WHEELS . You can get 15x9's and put some 275x15 hoosiers :) , of course you will need some power to move them :) . I'd assume that tires/grip is proportional to the weight of the car (i might be way off on this simple math) : A 225 tire in a 2400 car is a 318mm tire in a 3400lb car ... or a 275 tire in a 2400 car is a 389mm tire in a 3400lb car :D

TroyV

Established Member
The only thing not coming with the car is the wheels. I already have 6ul's picked out, but to stay with the ST4 rules regarding no fender flairing, I'm going to run 8's with 225/45/15's

BlackStripes

Established Member
that's what i've got. Believe me... you will push it and push it every time more and more in the turns and the little miata will keep turning and turning :D

TroyV

Established Member
I hope so. The cash I'm saving along with money my spares are bringing in will allow me to buy a hans, and new helmet......probably going for a new suit too... my current stuff is so ratty...

TroyV

Established Member
Wait a minute BlackStripes..

Are you the guy with the silver car that was at SP shen last year with SVTOA?

TroyV

Established Member
Yeah.. I'll be ordering a set of those for the street. The stock wheels for this thing have got to be the boney-est things I've ever seen.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Sale pending.

Great. So now we don't even get to see your awesome car anymore in your avitar. :bored:

Troy, a big step and I think a great choice. Have lots of fun with it.
But what will you do this May 2-3?

Wait a minute BlackStripes..

Are you the guy with the silver car that was at SP shen last year with SVTOA?

That was Harry Meise.

TroyV

Established Member
Great. So now we don't even get to see your awesome car anymore in your avitar. :bored:

Troy, a big step and I think a great choice. Have lots of fun with it.
But what will you do this May 2-3?

That was Harry Meise.

Nope, once I pulled the hitch bar out of the car and packed it for Adam, I considered the car no longer mine.

Ok...Harry Meise.... That dude seriously has balls of steel... I followed him around for awhile to see what he was doing. We was taking the bowl with very little brake....literally slamming the car down into it... ballsy..

Edit: I plan on coming for the SP event plus the full day invite only thing at the main course on the monday. I'm bringing a few friends, but I doubt I can muster the 25-26 car groups I have done the last four seasons.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Nope, once I pulled the hitch bar out of the car and packed it for Adam, I considered the car no longer mine.

Ok...Harry Meise.... That dude seriously has balls of steel... I followed him around for awhile to see what he was doing. We was taking the bowl with very little brake....literally slamming the car down into it... ballsy..

Harry is the smoothest driver in our group. We call him "Ice Man".

Here's Harry following me at a NASA SP last fall. Catch what happens to him at 7:10. NASA HPDE3 from an '03 Cobra at Summit Point 10/08 on Vimeo

And you didn't answer my question. Any chance I'll get to see that little beauty at SP in May? It is street legal, and you northern guys can endure a 12 hour ride in one, right?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Yes, its too bad he won't be at VIR with the rest of us. But he has a prior commitment that precludes him from going. :nonono:

TroyV

Established Member
Sorry Greg... I actually edited my earlier post to answer that.

TroyV

Established Member
It does, but i suspect I'll be pretty slow for the first couple of months while I figure out how to rock out with my c*ck out in the turns..

Users who are viewing this thread