How'd you end up with a Terminator?

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Well MGC's thread on "What cobra vids got you into cobras" made me think of this.

So guys, how'd you end up getting a cobra? Why'd you want one?

My short story:

I always liked mustangs and have had a few since I started driving, switched gears for awhile and had a lightning, which I might add was a BLAST! I missed having a mustang and shifting gears but loved the eaton on the lightning. So I started talking to guys that had 03/04 cobras, test drove one and that was it, I was hooked! My mother threatened my father and told him if he let me get a 03/04 cobra she'd never forgive him, 2 weeks later dad and I signed paperwork on one:). I had just turned 18 when I got the car, needless to say I got in a lot of trouble with it, hence why mom did not want me to have one. I've never kept any car longer then 2 years. I'll have had the cobra 6 years this august. Hands down i've had more fun in the cobra then anything i've owned to date.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Read an article in 5.0 mag back in late 02.Found closest SVT dealer told them I want a redfire one...Done!

fast ford brian

Established Member
After building more than a few fast foxes and some sick new edge Saleen's it was time to get my dream car . Hopefully after 4 years of owning it I will get my Whipple on this month .

dwish

Established Member
Saw her for sale on autotrader at a local Infinity dealership, they didn't even get the chance to post pictures up.

I needed a car, and wanted something I would love. Being obsessed with cars since I was a kid, I always had a rough idea of what Cobras were...it was on the test drive and going through third gear when the realization hit me. The low miles and the female one owner (she left behind makeup and No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom"...possible tranny?) made all the paint chips and bumper cover faults go away. 1 year and 6,000 miles later, the only issue I have is a thirsty right foot.

wudy

Established Member
After i read about them in MM FF I knew one day I would have one. So, I was at a local speed shop in the summer of 08 getting my 89 fox tuned and dynoed when a 04 Mystic vert pulls in the shop. While im talking to the owner about his car, the machanic does his thing and pulls the car out and says to the owner let go for a test drive. The owner refuses. I asked him do you mind if I go with him as i have not been in one yet. Go ahead he says.

So I later found out this beast has a wipple on it. I swear I didnt even get a chance to pull my belt on when he just nails it. Ths car just jumps out of the hole. First gear gone. Second f-n movin. Third pullin like a freight train. I swear I thought I was going to die we were going so fast so quickly.

Finally he lets off to turn around. He asks me if i felt a heasitation in the top end. Told him the only thing i felt was my life flashing before my eyes. But lets try that again.

A week later my car was for sale. I was lucky enough to find a local Cobra owner lookin for a Fox and some cash.

So a week later I had my dream car in my garage. A mint 18k bone stock 04 Cobra vert.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
A buddy of mine had a 1990 5.0 in high school, so naturally after high school I decided to buy an 03 GT. Traded in the GT and not a few months later drove by the local Ford dealership and found an 04 Mystichrome with 1,800 miles on the clock. Stopped in to check it out, and later that afternoon took her home. Many mods later, I have still have it and love it

jdgt03

Established Member
In Oct 02 I was at the NMRA finals in Ky and was in line to get in on Fri and there was a Sonic blue 03 coupe in front of me, that got my eye then I seen them go down the track and I was sold. Too bad I was 19yrs old and not wealthy lol. Waited till 2010 and bought one outright with no payments! It was worth the pain of waiting though.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Been a Mustang guy since my first ride in a '86. My first car was a 1993 Calypso Green LX hatchback 5.0 with all the good ole bolt on goodies. Saw the 03 Cobra in 2002 as a senior in high school and instantly fell in love. Joined the Army at 19, saved what i could, got my small sign on bonus. put 5000 down as a down payment. Got the car shipped from Chicago to Kansas(where i was stationed) through CarMax and I was on my way driving the fastest car I've been in yet. 2nd and last owner thats for sure.

gabe1530

Banned
my father and i have restored a couple 65/66 coupes and fastbacks when i was younger. i think thats where it started. my buddy had an 03 10th anni in his garage and couldnt make the payments and offered it to me as he knew i would take care of it. i bought it outright and have been modding it ever since. i dont think i will ever sell it.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I have always been into them, I think the original snakebite video is what got me into them. Turned 16 and wanted to get one, but they were just too expensive and the insurance was too expensive for my age. Fast forward 4 years(now) and I am ready to go buy a slightly used 2011 5.0(hence the screen name) but they were just a few thousand more than I was looking to spend so I decided, hell with it, I'm getting a terminator. Had to be sonic blue with relatively low miles. Found one about 20 minutes away from me and bought it the day I went to look at it.

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
Found mine on here, called navy federal, after I just got a loan for my 97 cobra, got approved, flew to Ohio from mass, picked it up and drove home and parked the black 03 next to my black 97 cobra! Sold the 97 cobra that week.

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member
The first car I bought, a white 97 GT, came with chipped paint, a dented door and some primer starting to rust. I pretty much drove her to the end of her life and figured it was either time to fix her up or sell her and get a new car - I chose the latter.

I started looking at cars for sale online and saw a couple that interested me, the 03-04 Cobra was what I really wanted - I just knew it was too far out of my price range and that I would probably have to settle for a Mach1 and maybe throw a supercharger on it. I found a Mach1 at a dealership in LA, but they never followed up with me. So one night browsing on Craigslist I came across this one pretty local and figured I'd try my luck. After puling enough strings and only by a miracle I had my dream car (and then some) sitting in my driveway a week later. I'll never forget how great it was to get behind the wheel of her because it's still there every time I get in! :banana:

03cobraracer

Established Member
i was a senior in high school when they came out and i first saw pictures of one. i had a 89 gt 5spd with H/C/I and a vortech on it at the time. Then that summer a friend of mine rolled up in his brand new sonic blue 03 cobra coupe. i was done for after that, i had to have one. Took me about another year and test driving a 04 screaming yellow coupe at the dealer to completely seal the deal. A different friend was selling his SB cobra coupe at this time and i took out the loan and bought it at 20 yrs old. i had the car a long time now and i plan to never sell it. best money i ever spent

badboysbailagnt

Established Member
I was in the market for either a c6 or cobra. Test drove a c6 auto, it was nice and was a auto that would have been good for drag racing. Then I test drove a 640rwhp cobra and blew the tires off in 3rd and said I got to have it!

damien256

Established Member
Why I bought my Termi

Having had the Mustang virus very early in life, (17 y.o.), I owned several over the years, I was feeling "ANOTHER" midlife crisis. I say another because after selling my ERA cobra that I built from parts and pieces I swore I was done with Hotrods.
Well..... I had an itch and my Wife said "go scratch it", that's all I needed to hear. The search began. I opted for a Cobra because I longed for the feeling of driving my various droptop stangs of years gone by. So, I knew it was gonna be a convertible. I also knew that I wanted something unique and upgradeable. Along comes a coworker and we start shooting the sh.. and he says, "Why not look at a Cobra? Did you know they make one with a Supercharger?", Need I say more?
BTW, I bought the car off of a SVTP member and havent looked back since.
Absolutely in Love with my Termi Vert.
Peace

MGC

Established Member
I watched a lot of video's but always thought they were out of my price league, so I looked intently on getting a black on black GTO, LS2, 6 speed with black leather but always found them with red leather! (not something I like personally) so after searching for a long time and not finding anything, I went with my brother to get his new truck, drive past a dealership and there was a MG cobra sitting there..

Completly stock, 46k miles, and was a california car up until the coast guard transferred the previous owner.

When I drove it I knew I had to have it. I totally forgot about the GTO and never looked back!

MysticRob

Established Member
Being a car guy, and especially a Mustang fan, I always paid attention to whatever new Cobra was coming out and I remember seeing all the new magazine covers and articles on new supercharged Cobra, and just absolutely loved every angle (thanks Camilo Pardo). When the Mystichrome versions came out in late 2003 I vowed to get one. They were way out of my price range new so I waited till I could afford one and flew to Las Vegas to purchase mine. She sits comfortably in my garage now after having been not exactly abused over 78k miles, but not extactly well cared for either. She's now been detailed with Simple Green, a 3M paint restoration kit, and every conceivable Meguiar's product I could think of, along with the usual H&R springs, spacers, and soon-to-be bolt-ons. I'll likely never sell it, unless I can afford and find one with less miles, and in better shape.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been a foxbody guy since high school. Being a Ford salesman when these were coming out I knew a little bit about them. However the dealership I worked for wasn't a SVT dealer, but got to see the mach 1's in person. After watching plenty of them doing work on youtube and the whine of the blower made up my decision!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Ever since I first saw one I knew I had to have one. I came very close to picking one up back in 2008 but picked up a 04 Z06 instead. I just picked my Cobra back in November and im glad I finally ended up with one. Even after 10 years of production whenever I see one go down the road it catches my eye and I find myself smiling.

Users who are viewing this thread