How to tell if the 2003 Terminator I'm looking at getting is in fact stock.

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
I'm new into cars and what not but have been looking for a while and found a great deal on a 2003 Mustang Cobra. I'm really interested in getting it so that me and my brother can mod it and spend time working on it together. However I would very much prefer that the car be as stock as possible so that we can do the mods ourselves and enjoy the whole process of modding a car. I found a car at a dealer and they said it is suppose to be stock and the previous owner has done very little to it if in fact nothing. So this weekend me and my brother are going to go out and look at it and if its what they say I'm going to buy it. However I was wondering if I could get some tips for what to look at to make sure I'm getting a good deal and that it's in indeed stock. I saw the pictures of it and it still has the pony in the grill which I read is the first thing everyone always changes. It also has the original CD player it looks like. Also still has the original Eaton SC from what it looks like. But I'm not a car guy and I'm not 100% what to look for. My brother is a certified mechanic so I'm sure he will help a lot but was just looking for some advice.

EDIT: Pictures

Album of pics. Didn't have a lot of good ones and I'm not home at the moment. These should suffice though I hope. Some of um I didn't take to so sorry if they are bad quality
! She still looks beautiful though.
http://imgur.com/a/OuP9b

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
There are a few things to keep and eye out for: Supercharger pulley cover should still be on, and original air cleaner. Here is a pic of my car, it is all stock. Should look like this.

11025634_10152665029786121_492030166513059828_n_zpsphvbtm0e.jpg

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Also the exhaust tips are real small from the factory, so if it has large shiny tips it probably has an aftermarket exhaust.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you should check the eaton for signs of having a pulley swap. sometimes right behind the pulley there are tool marks from the process.

take pics and post them up here.

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
This is great thank you! I'll be sure to print off /save your pic on my phone and use it for reference when we get there.

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
you should check the eaton for signs of having a pulley swap. sometimes right behind the pulley there are tool marks from the process.

take pics and post them up here.

I asked for some pictures and hopefully I get them soon and when I do I'll be sure to post them.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Sometimes it can be very hard to tell if the car was once modded and returned back to stock. At least if the previous owner was very smart at doing so.

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
Sometimes it can be very hard to tell if the car was once modded and returned back to stock. At least if the previous owner was very smart at doing so.

I think I'd be fine with that if someone did in fact do it. However from what the dealer told me the previous owner was an older man ini his 80s who had two Terminators and a 2003 mach 1 I think. And he took good care of them and kept them in his garage a lot. So even if they are in half the shape they say they are in they should still be ok I would think. We will have to see when we get there.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Don't always believe what the dealer says check the snout on the blower for marks as stated.

evolve

Established Member
Not that far crom my story. Bought mine from a 50yr old lady. Car was mint and 11k miles for 20k.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks super clean! What's the mileage?

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
the biggest thing you need to careful with "Stock" cars at a dealership is de-modifying.

All to often people will put the cars back into stock like condition, trade em in and move on.

The car in questions, if that's it in the pictures, does appear to be very stock. Alot of those bolts don't look like they have ever had a socket on em. Just look for signs of obvious wrenching.

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
the biggest thing you need to careful with "Stock" cars at a dealership is de-modifying.

All to often people will put the cars back into stock like condition, trade em in and move on.

The car in questions, if that's it in the pictures, does appear to be very stock. Alot of those bolts don't look like they have ever had a socket on em. Just look for signs of obvious wrenching.

Ill keep that in mind for tomorrow. It makes me happy to hear people say the car looks good :). Thanks for the advice as well!

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Check to make sure the pulley under the cover is the stock 3.65" one, some people change the pulley and put the cover back on. You should be able to see it through the groves and measure it.

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
Check to make sure the pulley under the cover is the stock 3.65" one, some people change the pulley and put the cover back on. You should be able to see it through the groves and measure it.

I made a special note to check the size of it. Thats the one everyone has said to check and what I've read is a very easy mod. Hopefully we can measure it when we get there

Users who are viewing this thread