How to replace the rubber grommets on the exhaust hangers?

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Is there a simple way to replace these grommets? They dont want to come off easily and I have a feeling they won't want to go back on any easier. Is there a secret to get these damn hangers on? WD40 and they still are not cooperating. I am on my back though so maybe that is why it's such a pita :shrug:

Also any good way of keeping an exhaust leak from coming back? Without welding?

Thanks

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I use a small thin screwdriver to get a little room betweeen the rubber hanger and the metal. Then spray the WD-40 while moving the screwdriver around a little to work it in.

If you have trouble getting it off then, you could use a small pry bar or a large screwdriver to help.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i don't think it is too too difficult getting them on...

but getting them off is a different story, especially if your catback has those extra large nipples on the hangers (like borla stinger)

there is a special tool that i am going to get that looks like a pliers but has a three part prong to push it out

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Im not referring to taking them off the hagers on the exhaust i'm talking about where the grommet mounts to the actual car. Is it pretty difficult to get them off of there? Best or easiest way to get them off?

Thanks

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
So is wd40 the best to get those grommets off the actual car hangers? Not the ones on the catback

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Hand soap is the best. The soap won't hurt anything. Something like Dawn.

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
Are you replacing the hanger b/c it's broke? If so, then I would be curious of 2 things: 1) why did it break, and 2) where is the exhaust leak? Is it on the same side of the broken hanger?

Users who are viewing this thread