How to remove starter with kooks long tubes?

jblood37

Established Member
How are people removing the starter if they have kooks long tubes installed? One tube of the headers runs directly in front of the starter. All other possible angles of getting to starter are blocked by the stock k member. One bolt from starter can be removed by using an extension from the front of the car and snaking it through stock k. The other two are impossible to get to. I'm removing it in order to remove bellhousing and look at my clutch. I've had one suggestion to loosen motor mounts and jack up the engine on the passenger side. Anyone else had experience with this? I'm not sure that all long tubes fit this way, so I made it more specific with brand.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
How are people removing the starter if they have kooks long tubes installed? One tube of the headers runs directly in front of the starter. One bolt from starter can be removed by using an extension from the front of the car. The other two are impossible to get to. I'm removing it in order to remove bellhousing and look at my clutch. I've had one suggestion to loosen motor mounts and jack up the engine on the passenger side. Anyone else had experience with this? I'm not sure that all long tubes fit this way, so I made it more specific with brand.

How will jacking up the motor help? Header is attached to the motor, starter is attached to the motor, as the motor goes up the header and starter follow right along.:??:

jblood37

Established Member
How will jacking up the motor help? Header is attached to the motor, starter is attached to the motor, as the motor goes up the header and starter follow right along.:??:

I believe the thinking was that I would be able to get a wrench in there after jacking because it would then hopefully be clear of the stock k member. I'll add the fact that I have stock k to original post.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Are you having a hard time gaining access to the top bolt on the starter? I have read of a few people leaving that top bolr out of the starter because it is near impossible to get at with LT's on the car. Goodluck in getting it removed. If you drop the K you should have way easier access to it. Just a lot of work to do to get to a few bolts.

TRBO VNM

Yeah, I mentioned raising motor. In some cases this works and did for me last time with bbk headers. It gives more room between K and motor allowing easier access. But I said that might be enough. Dropping or lowering the K might be needed

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I just use an assortment of long 3/8" drive extensions and two swivel joints. It takes a few minutes to line up and get the socket on the nut but I've had to take my starter off a few times.... After a few times taking off/putting it back on I opt'd out putting the third *itch bolt back in! Iv'e been running only 2 bolts for quit a bit now without issues

Last edited:

JDUB348

Established Member
I just use an assortment of long 3/8" drive extensions and two swivel joints. It take a few minutes to to line up and get the socket on nut but I've had to take my starter off a few times.... After a few times taking off/putting it back on i opt'd out putting the third *itch bolt back in! Iv'e been running only 2 bolts for quit a bit now without issues

X2.. leave the PITA bolt out when you go to reinstall.. exactly what i have done.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Shame on you guys for leaving that 3rd bolt out. Lol

I don't even want to hear it Jason, screw that bolt. I had to have taken off my alternator 5 times while I was trying to determine what my intermittent start issue was which ended up being that ghetto rigged power cable!

bubblehead93

Established Member
far too OCD to leave a bolt out, similar thread a while back, same answers... if you are paying someone to do it, leave it out, if you are doing it yourself and suffer from OCD issues... you will get very proficient at some combo of loosening the motor mounts, jacking the motor, or dropping the k-member combined with some collection of 3/8" sockets, extensions, swivels, and tape (to hold the bolt in the socket)... therapy and counseling for the OCD issues may be more cost/time effective...

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I don't do much of anything half-ass my friend. I've spent more money an time fixing/replacing/upgrading stuff because of my OCD issues. Needless to say my car has been down over a year now an I still don't have everything how I want it. Do whatever floats your boat, I left it out.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
2" hole saw,drill hole in k-member right above the lca mounting points centered up
can be done without taking tire off

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Getting to the starter is even more difficult with the Quick Time bellhousing .... I'll be installing a UPR k member very soon ~ should make life easier!

GL OP

jblood37

Established Member
Well, I'll be loosening motor mounts and jacking the motor up first then go to more dramatic steps if necessary. They is no way to get to the bolts as the car sits with any combination of extensions and swivels. I hope I do not have to drop the k-member. I believe I will be going with an aftermarket k as soon as I can. Lol.

2" hole saw,drill hole in k-member right above the lca mounting points centered up
can be done without taking tire off

You've done this?

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Sure did,for the exact reason that you are.Very simple to do,Is hidden from view,works like a charm.You still cant remove the starter ,but you can now pull the bell housing and service inside.Starter can be removed after the flywheel is out. If u put the car up ,you can get under it and see where I am talking about.Very self explanatory once u look at the k-member.Cant post pics,but cant send u a pic by text if need be.

Well, I'll be loosening motor mounts and jacking the motor up first then go to more dramatic steps if necessary. They is no way to get to the bolts as the car sits with any combination of extensions and swivels. I hope I do not have to drop the k-member. I believe I will be going with an aftermarket k as soon as I can. Lol.

You've done this?

Users who are viewing this thread