How-To: NEO iON iPod '03 Cobra adapter install

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
these devices apparently only work with the 2003 stereo. the 2004 unit has different connectors.

On the Mp3YourCar.com site, the 2004 Mustang is listed on there product list. So is their list not correct?

slammed

Established Member
lafave said:
On the Mp3YourCar.com site, the 2004 Mustang is listed on there product list. So is their list not correct?

From what I know they keep that site updated. I would just call if you do not see it one there or want to be 100% sure. They did say something to me about it not working if you have an in dash cd changer.

03SBGT

Established Member
Thanks for the great write up. I may do this on my 03.

Question - You stated this used the line level output. Does anyone know if there are two in the mach460 head unit?

I would like to do the iPod mod, and run a sub in the trunk using the stock head unit. Wouldnt I need to line level outs to accomplish this?

Thanks for any feedback :-D

Medic

Here is a response from an e-mail i sent.

I (like alot of people) have an 04 mach1 with the in dash changer.

Dear Tim,

From the data we have and feedback from customers is that the mustang
in-dash doesn't work. If you find message boards that it does, try to
contact them directly and see if they have the same head unit you do. Also
if you'd like to send me pictures of the back of the head unit, please do
so. But for now I would say its not until we can see otherwise.

Best Regards,

Logan Fox
Sales Manager
Phone: 858-689-4141
www.neocaraudio.com
www.mp3yourcar.com Check your Make/Model/Year product compatibility and
availability. Is your car not compatible? Sign up on the waiting list so we
can contact you when it is!

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
take your radio out, and look at the back (it takes 2 minutes, working slow). does it have a 20pin connector? (the one with "20" in the top left corner). this thread is about a device that uses the 20 pin connector on a ford 6disc in-dash mach460 head unit.

radioconnectors.jpg

Last edited:

slammed

Established Member
Has anyone else done this? Seems like a cool set up.

Cobra Chick

This is something that I was planning on looking into down the road after I'd had my car for a while... But this has a lot of really good info and I may have to start looking into it...

Has anyone looked into or tried doing this on an '04 yet? Cuz that's what I'm getting and I'd love to be able to do this with my iPOD.

Shanezam203

Established Member
ShelbyGuy great writeup. I got the PIE aux converter a few months back and that was working out great for my first mp3 player. Now I have an ipod mini and an itrip (fm transmitter) and unlike any other transmitter I've used in the past, this one sounds great. I would say 100% like a cd. Anyone else have any success with the itrip?
Anyway I'm giving this product a thought. The names of the songs (from the ipod) don't run across the Mac stereo in dash head unit right? All you can do is adjust the volume, and change tracks? You cant move around folders, playlists or anything else? Can you play and pause? How is the sound, pry pretty good...
Will that white box plug into this? Or do I not even need that???
converter-vi.jpg

Thanks a lot, Shane

Last edited:

whtsnake03

Established Member
slammed said:
I wonder if it will work with 04+ 6 disc in-dash?

I'm pretty sure Ford changed the radio in the 04's. They don't have the proper connector so this won't work. You will need to pull the radio out and check the back to be certain.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
this device does not put the ipod info on the display of your mach460 head unit. what it does do is:
allow volume control from the mach460 head
allow fwd/rev control from the mach460 head
allow seek control from the mach460 head (only in current ipod playlist)
allows charging of the ipod
allows line out of the ipod instead of headphone out

you still need to pick the playlist via the ipod

does it work on an '04? i dont know. i doubt it. maybe. try it for yourself and post your results here.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
Thanks Shelby Guy, I've got a question or two, I still haven't tried this.
Instead I bought a $55 FM transmitter by Monster, the iCarPlay Wireless. It is pretty cool, it charges and uses the line out, but I think I am losing some sound quality with it. It has 8 different frequencies to choose from to play on, so I am happy about that. But it does not sound quite as good as I was hoping.
How does the NEO iON sound compared to CD's in the Mach 460 unit?
Also, is the volume level comparable to CD's or the radio? On the Monster iCarPlay I have to turn up the volume pretty significantly on the Mach 460 when I use the iPod to get it to a normal listening level.
Thanks.

Shanezam203

Established Member
Thanks again shelbyguy for answering my questions. How much was the thing $185? Ill have to try to figure out a place where I can mount the ipod in the mustang and make it work. Right now i just use the belt clip the mini came with and an itrip. (i put it on my visor) and it sounds great.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
With my iCarPlay Wireless, I just plug it into the power port in the arm rest and let the ipod sit in one of the cup holders. That would probably work pretty well with the NEO too.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Installed today. Piece of cake. Only problem I see is I have to also turn off the ipod after turning the car off.

Currently keep it in the glove box for easy reach. Until I get more used to it, I'll find a permanent home for it.

Great write up. Used it instead of the directions.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
shelby guy, thanks for the writer up. did it this weekend. Love the functionality. I thought the line in volume (input) would be louder. You have to crank the radio volume higher than for CD or FM Radio input.

I used your flawless instructions vs. neo's generic. Saved me a ton of time, thanks!

slammed

Established Member
This is a really good write up - wish I had a better digital camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread