How-To: NEO iON iPod '03 Cobra adapter install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Thanks to Dave99GT for turning me on to this product. :pepper:

The people at NEO were very helpful and friendly. If this didnt work for me, they were happy to take it back. They even went so far as to telephone me to make sure it was what I wanted - like with other gizmos that do this, they say its not supposed to work with the 6disc in-dash head unit. but it does, on a 2003.

The NEO iON consists of three parts - the pigtail, the protocol converter box, and the ipod cable.
pigtail.jpg

converterbox.jpg

ipodcable.jpg

The following tools are needed for this job
1/4" drive ratchet
1/4" drive extension
8mm 6point 1/4" drive socket
7mm 6point 1/4" drive socket
electrical connector crimpers (lineman's pliers?)

The following supplies are needed for this job:
2 wire taps (t-tap/scotch-lok)

3rd/4th generation iPod not included.

1. with the 8mm wrench, disconnect the ground side of the battery.

2. put the car in 2nd gear. grab and yank the shift boot bezel off the console (it is held on with clips). dont yank too hard, you still need to unplug the cigarette lighter. i pull the boot inside out over the shift knob and work around it. a person could also remove the knob and take the boot+bezel assembly off altogether.

3. grab and yank off the bezel for the heater controls/radio/vents. it too is clipped on. and as with the shift boot bezel, there are electrical connections. unclip the wires from the rear defroster, traction control, and driving lamp switches.

4. with the 7mm socket and extension, remove the two outside bolts holding the radio in (the ones over the shiny metal). the center bolts hold the radio guide in and need not be removed. grab radio and pull towards you. pop out the antenna lead so you have a little more room to work. remove the other connections from the rear of the radio. set radio aside.

5. crimp the connections on the end of the iON pigtail (yellow and black wires). the power lead is the violet-with-light-blue-tracer wire on the j1 plug (pin 9), and the ground is the black-with-green-tracer wire (pin 11).

wiretaps.jpg

6. set the dip switches on the protocol converter box. switch 2 and switch 8 should be on, with all others off.

dipswitches.jpg

7. find a nice home inside the dashboard for the protocol converter box and run your wires. i ran the ipod cable under the console so it comes out near the seat belt anchor on the seat.

installed.jpg

8. plug all connectors back in, put radio back on radio guide and slide back in dash. reinstall radio bezel and shift boot bezel

9. reconnect battery, connect ipod to cable, and press cd button on head unit until it says "dj" (it will toggle between dj, which is your ipod, and cd which are whatever you have loaded in the 6disc changer) and enjoy! :rockon:

ipod.jpg

lucafu1

Established Member
Where did you buy this? I searched for it but it doesnt look like what you are using. Thanks.

vipergts281

Established Member
So basically this just allows you to hook up an ipod to our 6 disc cd player?

Where are you going to mount your ipod?

Thanks.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
yes, sir. its specific to 3rd/4th generation iPods with the dock connector. it give you charging and line level out capabilities, as well as allows the head unit to flip through songs and playlists so you dont have to fumble with the ipod so much while driving.

so far, i'm leaving it loose in the cupholder or on my lap.

i haven't worked it all out yet :D

vipergts281 said:
So basically this just allows you to hook up an ipod to our 6 disc cd player?

Where are you going to mount your ipod?

Thanks.

vipergts281

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
as well as allows the head unit to flip through songs and playlists so you dont have to fumble with the ipod so much while driving.
So you can still use your stock 460 head unit to change tunes and all. Basically, it is pretty much the stock system......with an ipod added to hold more songs. Correct?

Thanks. :beer:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
correct. the frdn-aux is more flexible because its rca/composite jacks and the head unit doesnt control anything, it just allows for an external player (ipod with 1/8" stereo-->rca cable, satellite radio head unit, whatever)

the neo ion thingy allows an ipod to play with line level out instead of headphone output, charge while playing, and flip through songs from the in-dash factory head unit, using only one cable. these devices apparently only work with the 2003 stereo. the 2004 unit has different connectors.

vipergts281 said:
So you can still use your stock 460 head unit to change tunes and all. Basically, it is pretty much the stock system......with an ipod added to hold more songs. Correct?

Thanks. :beer:

vipergts281

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
correct. the frdn-aux is more flexible because its rca/composite jacks and the head unit doesnt control anything, it just allows for an external player (ipod with 1/8" stereo-->rca cable, satellite radio head unit, whatever)

the neo ion thingy allows an ipod to play with line level out instead of headphone output, charge while playing, and flip through songs from the in-dash factory head unit, using only one cable. these devices apparently only work with the 2003 stereo. the 2004 unit has different connectors.
Thanks for all of the info. I may have to do this. Would cost me though being as I don't even own an ipod.

But knowing that I can have my whole music collection at my finger tips is amazing.

Thanks again.

TK Doom

Established Member
Link?

I emailed a similar company, as I want to get something like that for the wife-unit's Aviator...

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
http://www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html
i purchased mine from one of the vendors on their dealers link.

wasnt exactly cheap, but i'm happy with the product.

pop the aviator radio out and see if it has the square 20pin connector on the back.

TK Doom said:
Link?

I emailed a similar company, as I want to get something like that for the wife-unit's Aviator...

4.6speed

Established Member
Thanks for the write up Shelbyguy. I am going to have to do this, and you are saying you can flip through the songs that you have on your ipod by using your car stereo cd controlls?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
yeah but on the current playlist. you still use the ipod to flip through the oodles of music you have. it also behaves differently under different circumstances. i havent worked it all out yet. but, yes, you can flip between songs at least the same way you do with a cd.

4.6speed said:
Thanks for the write up Shelbyguy. I am going to have to do this, and you are saying you can flip through the songs that you have on your ipod by using your car stereo cd controlls?

slammed

Established Member
Looks really good - nice write up. I have one in my car also and love it. www.mp3yourcar.com is their web site. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

slammed

Established Member
adamb258 said:
how much $$$$$

It goes for $189 and includes everything you need. It uses the iPods interface and you still have controls on your deck and steering wheel. :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread