how to make 700hp on a budget

tobynt

Established Member
??????

LS1 cams=$360 before shipping
T76 Turbo Kit good to 700 rwhp for an LS1 = $6,495.00
Mustang 4.6/LS1 Swap Chrome Moly K Member Kit = $798.99
LS1 donor Motor, ECU, Wiring harness and Trans = $?????
Custom drive shaft = ??????

Tune & Dyno time = $500-$750 Possibly more

4K for an LS1 Turbo at 700 rwhp is a wet dream.

Stanger00

Established Member
Low blow I know but I couldn't resist, haha.

You're lucky to only have to finish off someone else's build and ultimately make it your own.

froush

Established Member
Heres a quick rundown for all you ignorant assholes not including paint and body. I can prove everything bought and most things sold with reciepts

purchase
99 gt donor with vt 302 stroker, wet nos kit, promotion t45, built rear with 4.10s and 35 spline axles, full susp. $3500(guy thought trans went out but it was only the tob)
Kenne bell 2.2 $1500 shipped
Kb front drive plate and alt. mounts $250
Innovators west 15% od damper $400
Brand new "used" 60 sd injectors $180
Tune ~ $450
Mph kb cams $350
3.55 gears with install kit $120 installed by me
Aeroforce interceptor gauge and wideband $413
Roush boost gauge $81
Afco dual pass h/e $350
Brokedickracing ic tank $130
Belt $26
Another belt because i bought the wrong size $28

parts sold
Donor car body $500
Ho fibertrends hood that came with donor car $350
V6 engine $400
Cms stg 2 n/a cams $350
Donor car trunk $60
Donor car front bumper $75
Set of bullitt rims that came with donor car $300
V6 trans $250
Donor car headlights/tailights $100
Also sold a bunch of little things but i cant think of them at the moment.

I have reciepts for everything i bought if you really want proof. Good deals will come if you wait long enough. The donor car i bought was originally marked for 7k then went down to 4 over a couple months. I picked it up for $3500 cash. Comes to a little over 5k for a potential 700 hp car when i decide to hook up the nitrous. Then add another $450 for tunes. and now im out again. Ill stick to my other forums before i post useful info over here.

Last edited:

serb82

Established Member
His name Froush?

Nope, easy run down of build

5.3 with harness and CPU, (500) hp tuners to tune(100) turbo off semi (250) cam and springs (350) used k member for 302 modified to fit 5.3 (free had scrap laying around). Turbo wastage and blowoff valve(500) piping using stock 5.3 manifold and fittings, clamps, silicone ends, (800) majority of shit built not purchased from a catalog

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Nope, easy run down of build

5.3 with harness and CPU, (500) hp tuners to tune(100) turbo off semi (250) cam and springs (350) used k member for 302 modified to fit 5.3 (free had scrap laying around). Turbo wastage and blowoff valve(500) piping using stock 5.3 manifold and fittings, clamps, silicone ends, (800) majority of shit built not purchased from a catalog

This one time I was on a mustang forum but used the same logic of that from a Honda civic owners mind.

You can sit there and talk about the cheap route and this piece and that piece but when you hear about people putting together a "cheap" build that's when you hear about people's cars not running right/blowing up. I'm not being a dick, but I've watched it happen and this just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

And to Froush, some of us don't have a laundry list of things to sell to offset the cost of some parts. That's great that you got a deal, but physically ordering EVERY piece to your build I strongly disagree with it being able to be done for 7k. I'm not knocking you, but you're finishing what someone else once started, which is great, but someone else already put the money into it. The money may not be from your pocket, but it's still there, whether you care to admit that or not there's much more than 7k in the parts you have there.

Last edited:

froush

Established Member
I completely agree kleech. But you have to realize these cars are becoming a thing of the past these days. Parts are easy to come by if you know what you are looking for

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
And I completely agree, there old news. People trash them then throw them away and some don't even know what they have. I was just saying that typically a deal like yours doesn't come up very often. I don't think you can dispute the fact that purchasing each piece individually you could do it for under 7k, but finding big groups of parts and getting solid deals, I agree then it may be done. It'll be a stretch when the cars getting buttoned up, and it all depends on how many snags you run into.

Don't get upset man, I know I'm just here to hear the differences in options and others thoughts. Sometimes it's refereshing for more insight, if you can pull yours off with that tight budget then that will be awesome! Ill be excited to see a thread about it when it's all done!:beer:

dfresh2

Established Member
700hp

$7000.00 on USED PARTS to get 700 hp, my question is what is it going to cost if you blow the car up because you of used parts, do you really want to take that chance??? :)

froush

Established Member
$7000.00 on USED PARTS to get 700 hp, my question is what is it going to cost if you blow the car up because you of used parts, do you really want to take that chance??? :)

Like i said, used parts arent bad if you know what to look for. I trust my engine/trans/rear because i went through them. Only thing im skeptical about is my input shaft and it being forged. Seeing the the guy had a 250 shot on it i think it will be ok

700hp on a stock tranny and suspension should be funny
good luck on that budget

If this was directed towards me you need to re-read what i wrote

spike_africa

Established Member
You could get their with good deals from online. A used On3 Turbo kit, a used short block, used fuel pumps and injectors and maf. I'm sure its doable if you search around. But you won't be able to get the rest of the drivetrain up to the task also which won't be fun when the axles let go or the diff blows apart on a pull. I've done it with my lowly 400rwhp nitrous car. Granted nitrous hits alot harder.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
If this was directed towards me you need to re-read what i wrote

never read what you wrote, nor do i plan on it
simply saying 7k isnt even enough to make that power realibily nevermind supporting mods

sure 7k can get you a shitty motor thrown togther and a blower/n20 kit but will it last? will it hook? will the tranny/rear live? will it run 9s like it should or 11s?

i spent over 7k on just my blower/bottom end with no labor in the mix
plus the blower was used

Last edited:

Gravik

Established Member
If you want a more budget blower than a KB, you could look into a Vortech YSI.

hollowdweller

Established Member
Hey guys I'm going to be picking up a immaculate 98gt with 118k miles and has a 100 shot and a PI head and intake swap. I'm wondering what is the best way to get 650-700 wheel horsepower. I have 7k to do it. I do not like nitrous so I will be getting rid of that once I pick up the car

If your goal is to get 650-700hp on a dyno and your not concerned about your tranny, rearend, clutch, etc holding up, this is JUST MY OPINION on one way to reach your goals. All prices are rough estimates and what its cost me to have stuff done. Total price is with you doing all labor except longblock rebuild.

Sell KB and buy On3performance turbo kit=cost neutral
Tubular K-member=$650

Forge motor rebuild (parts, labor, machine work, etc)=$3000 (is what it cost me)
Cams and springs=$700
Ported heads=$450

Fuel E85
2 FPDM's=$70
BAP=$150
Pumps=$350
Injectors=$350
MAM=$250

Exhaust
o/r midpipe=$170
Catback=$600

Tune=$350(if you already have programmer/chip)

Total=$7090

I personally would add $1000 to total for misc BS.
This is my OPINION on one way to accomplish your goals. Im sure there are better ways to attempt to accomplish your goals, this is just how I'd attempt it. IN MY OPINION your budget and goals are reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread