how to make 700hp on a budget

froush

Established Member
A built long lock with stage 3 PI heads, custom cams, new timing chains and valve train components, windage tray, gaskets and new fasteners eat up all of that 7k and may even cost more depending if you are paying labor as well!

Then the transmission issue and that leads to differential and axle issues.

Not to mention safety equipment. Upgrade brakes and suspension is a must with that kind of power...

Im sorry but there is no way in hell it would cost 7k to hit that number. You can easily find decent deals. If he can work on his own stuff and already has a kb 2.6. then a decent shortblock, trans, and rearend would not cost 7k. I could get all that built for 700 for less than 5k. Like i said, i will be a pulley away for less than 13k. That includes my entire v8 swap, suspension, built drivetrain, kb, body kit, paint, wheels.....i mean everything. Including what i bought the car for

Stanger00

Established Member
I am speaking from retail prices not second, third or forth hand items bought in the classifieds, junkyards or Craigslist.

And labor. Not everyone is handy nor do they have the time to throw any hours at building a car up to handle that sort of power.

Stock PI heads and cams will not get to 700. Unless you put a pulley on it to run over 25psi.

Last edited:

tobynt

Established Member
nope....700 hp is not going to happen with 7 grand. I don't care if you take a V6 and convert it over to a V8 with forged internals....7 grand will not hit 700 hp at the tires on a dyno. Just isn't going to happen for 7 grand.

Kenne Bell 2.6L at 20 psi will yield around 650 hp. At that number, you damn well better have on your big boy paints with deep pockets. Lets remember....650 is not 700.

We can talk about pulleys all day long. Everyone on this forum that has any type of belt driven blower is only a pulley away from bumping up more power....Hell, even I am a pulley away from 26 psi on my blower. But again, I am also a trans and bottom end away from being able to hold it together. And that my dear....is about 8-10 grand away.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
But again, I am also a trans and bottom end away from being able to hold it together. And that my dear....is about 8-10 grand away.

Story of my life! We can sit on the Internet and talk about how we could possibly squeeze 7k dollars to the penny to buy lots of things. But when you start actually putting your project together it's just the little nickle and dime things that end up getting you and adding up to more than you expected.

froush

Established Member
nope....700 hp is not going to happen with 7 grand. I don't care if you take a V6 and convert it over to a V8 with forged internals....7 grand will not hit 700 hp at the tires on a dyno. Just isn't going to happen for 7 grand.

Kenne Bell 2.6L at 20 psi will yield around 650 hp. At that number, you damn well better have on your big boy paints with deep pockets. Lets remember....650 is not 700.

We can talk about pulleys all day long. Everyone on this forum that has any type of belt driven blower is only a pulley away from bumping up more power....Hell, even I am a pulley away from 26 psi on my blower. But again, I am also a trans and bottom end away from being able to hold it together. And that my dear....is about 8-10 grand away.

Well turns out im doing it for around that. Like i said. I do have a built engine, trans, and rear end. Went from v6 to v8. Think im bs'ing go ahead and think that. But i have been really lucky with getting things at really good deals. Buying new, i agree...... that there is no way in hell that you could do it. My gt "parts/donor" car had $16k worth of reciepts that came with it so yes i know it is expensive

Stanger00

Established Member
Now you're saying you need another 7k ontop of the 16k that was put into a car to make 700hp, lol. Just because it wasn't your 16k doesn't mean it wasn't invested into the car.

froush

Established Member
True. But i redid some stuff. Plus the guy before me didnt do and of his own work. I myself have only paid a fraction of the cost

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
We understand that, but beside the situation of a freak good deal like you got it can 99% of the time not be done for such a small amount. I have around 13k in my car total. And a couple thousand more dollars worth of parts sitting around/getting ready to be purchased and I'll only be shooting for 400 to the tire. Just from the point I'm at now it'll take well past 7k to make 700. Fuel system, trans, bottom end, bigger blower, supporting mods etc.

tobynt

Established Member
I'm not trying to beat you up "Froush". I'm just trying to state that 700 hp isn't going to happen for 7 grand. It's not going to happen for anything near 7 grand.

In your case, we also have to remember that you haven't done it yet either. A Kenne Bell 2.1 will be screaming for mercy around 600-635. Again, 600 is not 700 hp. Saying you will be close to 700 hp when your at 600-635 is the same as saying my 5 hp lawn mower is close to 50-75 hp. Its just not the same.

I will be more then happy to give you props for hitting 700 hp for 7 grand when you are able to do it. That statement is not to take away from the fact....you have already done something very impressive. You have the recipes to make a lot of power and you did it on a shoe string budget. But, again....yours isn't done yet.

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
Man.. this thread is depressing. Guess ill keep my slow stock loud old 5.0 the way it is.

Hehehehehe..

froush

Established Member
Turns out i have a 2.2 not a 2.1. And yes, that alone WILL NOT get me there. But just so happens i have a wet nitrous kit in the garage that i had hooked up once upon a time. I would say i could hit well over 700 but i dont trust my clutch much past that. Im saving the nitrous for whenever i get bored with it anyways. Im just stating, i absolutely can make 700 for around 7k. Im not gonna restate previous post but if you shop around, you can get great deals. These cars are 10 years old and there are a lot of of parts out there. Just gotta be patient

Last edited:

tobynt

Established Member
Make sure you get a vid of the NOS and a 2.2 Kenne Bell making 700 hp on the rollers with a total budget of 7 grand. I would dare say its going to make for a very good ending.

froush

Established Member
Im not planning on hooking it up right now. But i guarantee if i do, id will make over 700. I honestly havent heard of a centerforce df clutch making much past 600 though so i doubt it will.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
700hp not gonna happen on that budget...
image_zps67695626.jpg

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
A well built mod motor with heads and cams will cost you $7k alone. Mine was $9k but that was on the higher side since I went with a very well known shop to make sure it was built well. Best bet to hit 700hp efficiently is go turbo, you can assemble a solid turbo kit for around $4500 I would say using the CGFab hot side, then get a nice turbo (precision, turbonetics, etc.) not that chinese ON3 crap. Fuel system will range from $1200 to $2500 depending on how well you want it built. Built rear will be around $1500 (trutrac, axles, gears, etc.), then the built trans if done correctly will be in the range of $2k to $4k depending on what you choose to go with.

Before the cheap guys come in saying that you can build it for much less than what I listed, I referred to building it CORRECTLY. I'm not factoring in using cheap ass turbo kits or components I am talking all name brand stuff that is known to last (Precision, Tial, Treadstone, etc.). Mod motors are not cheap to build and built drivetrains can be equally expensive when we are talking about building a 700hp car that is RELIABLE.

To those coming in saying they built their setup for much cheaper even though they bought a car that was 70% there already you have to understand that your comments really mean nothing. This guy wants a ground up build for 700hp, your experience really means squat when you didn't go through the process of gathering every last tiny detail of a full on build. You would be very surprised to see how quickly a budget gets absolutely obliterated.

froush

Established Member
Im done talking about it but my car was built correctly. Used parts dont always mean they are bad. I paid roughly $400 for my fuel system and all parts were either new or basically new. Thats including injectors. I also bought a "used" blower that had zero miles on it. Guy blew his engine on the dyno. Doesnt mean its not quality and that it wasnt done correctly. I know what i have and how much ive spent. And thats the end of me chiming in on this thread. Good luck with your build op

Last edited:

saleensonoma

Established Member
long block will be lil over 7 for me. Thats new crate long block w/stg3 heads and stg3 turbo grinds also and 5.0L. Im sure once im done all the lil piddly stuff will jack total up to mid8-9g. seting my bullitt engine aside bc I dont want to risk destroying originality from the car plus I have plenty of room to store it. built motor and 76mm should only net me 450hp.... well thats my story and sticking to it :p

Users who are viewing this thread