how to make 700hp on a budget

Andrew1021

Established Member
Hey guys I'm going to be picking up a immaculate 98gt with 118k miles and has a 100 shot and a PI head and intake swap. I'm wondering what is the best way to get 650-700 wheel horsepower. I have 7k to do it. I do not like nitrous so I will be getting rid of that once I pick up the car

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
700hp and budget don't belong in the same sentence...do you just want that hp for the dyno or do you want a track car?

Andrew1021

Established Member
I just want the HP...well.... to have it. I like cruising but knowing that I have a lot of power on tap. And I'm going to tx2k13 so Id like it for that as well

tobynt

Established Member
700hp and budget don't belong in the same sentence...do you just want that hp for the dyno or do you want a track car?

+1 to this!

7 grand is just about enough scratch to get you started in the 450hp range. after that...along with the blower you just spent about 7 grand on. you will need a stronger short block, ditch the stock PI heads and also plan on a bigger fuel system.....you will also want to invest in a stronger trans.

You might be able to hit 700 hp with 18-20 grand.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
+1 to this!

7 grand is just about enough scratch to get you started in the 450hp range. after that...along with the blower you just spent about 7 grand on. you will need a stronger short block, ditch the stock PI heads and also plan on a bigger fuel system.....you will also want to invest in a stronger trans.

You might be able to hit 700 hp with 18-20 grand.

Quoted for truth, 7k gets the blower and supporting mods on your car. There you're going to be at the limits of the stock shortblock as far as power. Then the t-45 isnt going to last very long at that power level. 650-700 wont be easy, nothing on that car will be stock to achieve that number.

Stanger00

Established Member
Is 2.7 a typo?

7k will get you a built short block and fuel system.

If you have the 2.1 KB you will be lucky to make 520-530 at the wheel with stock PI cam and stock PI heads.

Save up and have your heads ported and get a good cam and then fabricate a big inlet for that kenne bell to help it breathe and maybe then you will be in the 550-560 range. That blower just doesn't have the ability to make much more power than that, unfortunately.

tobynt

Established Member
Is 2.7 a typo?

7k will get you a built short block and fuel system.

If you have the 2.1 KB you will be lucky to make 520-530 at the wheel with stock PI cam and stock PI heads.

Save up and have your heads ported and get a good cam and then fabricate a big inlet for that kenne bell to help it breathe and maybe then you will be in the 550-560 range. That blower just doesn't have the ability to make much more power than that, unfortunately.

I was kind of curious what a 2.7 would fit myself. To the best of my knowledge, the largest huffer Kenne Bell made for a 2 valve was 2.6

Did Kenne Bell ever make a 2.7L for anything?

Stanger00

Established Member
Kenne Bell also made a 2.8H Mammoth for the 2 valve but only approved shops are authorized to purchase and install them.

The 2.6 is big enough to handle a very powerful street setup and any Joe Schmo can buy that thing.

tobynt

Established Member
Andrew, I have been going through some of your old post. Your not new to this game and you have obviously had a number of Mustangs in the past 2 years.

You already know that 7 grand will not get you in the ball park of 700 hp. Even if you already have a Kenne Bell 2.6 (if the prior was a typo)

Stanger00

Established Member
A built long lock with stage 3 PI heads, custom cams, new timing chains and valve train components, windage tray, gaskets and new fasteners eat up all of that 7k and may even cost more depending if you are paying labor as well!

Then the transmission issue and that leads to differential and axle issues.

Not to mention safety equipment. Upgrade brakes and suspension is a must with that kind of power...

Dasaliac03

TWINscrewed
Established Member
A built long lock with stage 3 PI heads, custom cams, new timing chains and valve train components, windage tray, gaskets and new fasteners eat up all of that 7k and may even cost more depending if you are paying labor as well!

Then the transmission issue and that leads to differential and axle issues.

Not to mention safety equipment. Upgrade brakes and suspension is a must with that kind of power...

Agreed. I spent an easy 7k on just building my mmr900se...and i used the stock heads with a stage 3 port/polish job new valves and springs but stock cams! only put in a stage 3 clutch, 3.73's, and 31 spline axels so im just waiting on the shit to hit the fan now!

What is your "budget" if you dont mind my asking........

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
In another thread this guy was asking if their 2.1 KB that is or sale would fit a non-PI motor with PI head swap.

OP do you truly have a 2.6 KB?

I feel troll'd, dammit!

froush

Established Member
I only have 13k into my car including buying it and swapping to a v8 and putting a blower on it and ill only be a pulley away from hitting close to 700.

musclemustangcb

Established Member
Do what im doing. On3 forward facing Turbo kit. Get urself a good set of rods and pistons, cobra crank.....and boost the shit out of it. Im going for 700 whp.

Users who are viewing this thread