HOW TO: IRS Subframe bushings at home

03cobraracer

Established Member
tell your buddy to help u out! id help u if i was home, but im overseas right now. i gotta put a irs in my car also soon. luckily i bought mine with the whole bushing kit done already lol. where in nj u at? im from monmouth county.

NJredfire03

Established Member
im hoping that it wont take six weeks!!! im hoping like two weekends of working on it hard. what makes it so time consuming? drilling out the bushings? i can't imagine lowering and raising the irs just enough to do the subframe bushings would take much time. also, while i'm doing this, this would be a great time to swap out rear springs right?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Dropping the IRS can be found in this video:

http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/Videos/FTBR_IRS_REMOVAL.wmv

Skip the first minute if you're not going to be doing a bumpsteer operation.

@ the 5:20 minute mark in this video:

FTBR Subframe prep for bushing install (Part 2) - YouTube

is the subframe bushing removal. At the 7:25 minute mark you'll see the cleaning of the bore for the bushing install and at the 9:00 mark in the installation of the frozen bushings.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SuperSport01

Established Member
If you have a floorjack, jackstands, handtools, a drill, and bushing tool. And you know how to remove wheels and a catback. Then I dont see why cradle bushings couldnt be installed in your driveway in a few hours.

NJredfire03

Established Member
If you have a floorjack, jackstands, handtools, a drill, and bushing tool. And you know how to remove wheels and a catback. Then I dont see why cradle bushings couldnt be installed in your driveway in a few hours.

Thats what i'm thinking. I watched some videos thanks to Full Tilt Boogie Racing that were extremely helpful. not fully understanding the bushing removal was my real only worry. And now that's not a worry any more. I'm fully confident that it can be done much quicker than assumed. Do you know if, while doing the cradle bushings, that I can do the rear springs easily? I plan on doing the bushings, springs, rear sway bar, cat-back, and all 4 brakes in a weekend. I see it doable big time. :rockon:

oldmodman

Established Member
It took me a couple of weekends helping out a friend to do his.
And I have a lift and a trans jack which made it easy for two old guys to do it.
It took us a lot longer since we powder coated everything we could while it was apart.
And I would suggest buying Bruce's tools to get both types of bushings out.
He even has a rental or buyback plan for them, I don't remember which.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I still have not done this yet, waiting for my buddy to finish up some work on his cobra, then i can get my car to his house to work on it. also waiting for a weekend with no rain cause it will be done outside in his driveway. I will post updates when I get this done. I can't wait, especially cause i got a nasty noise coming from right rear when ever suspension flexes over bumps or inclines. was told that it was definitely the 12mm bolt where the 14mm should be. Glad I got those too.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
And I would suggest buying Bruce's tools to get both types of bushings out.
He even has a rental or buyback plan for them, I don't remember which.

Our customers can 'buy' the OEM bushing removal tools from us for $70.00. When they return them they get a $60.00 refund back. So you're essentially 'renting' the tools for a $10.00 charge.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Get the tools! I am sure people can get them out without them, but I have no idea how! Kit takes time because this is something you do not want to rush, but it is worth it. Also, while you have everything down and out, get things cleaned up!
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...nsion-upgrade-progress-powdercoat-inside.html
Question, shoot bruce a email and chances are, day or night, he will email you back very quickly!
Good luck and it will be worth it.

Alex

AKcobra

Established Member
Its not that bad. I did mine last sunday/monday night. I didnt work to hard. had the IRS out in 45min. I had to break for a few hours to watch my Tarheels in the NCAA tourney. I have everything ready to go just need to bolt the IRS back in the car. If havent I would look into get the FRPP IRS cover while you have it all apart, or at least a diff brace. I also used the FTBR bushing kit. Superior design, detailed instruction, and support!

NJredfire03

Established Member
I am JUST doing the subframe bushings. I am not dropping the whole IRS for that job. just lowering it enough to get the front and rear subframe bushings out. I don't have all the money in the world so I gotta do one step at a time. Can't afford a new brace or anything like that...unfortunately.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Next weekend I will finally be getting this work done. I plan on taking pictures to post up. If it was up to me, and my friends car was done, this would have been done WEEKS ago. I can't wait to get the work done. Either some time this weekend we will get the car to my friends house and get it up on stands, or sometime during the week. I'm hoping sometime after next weekend I'll have full details about how this all went.

Last edited:

SVTr1gger

Established Member
I just ordered the bushing kit, and the reinforced diff cover. I plan on tackling this in my garage...I have plenty of hand tools, power/air tools, and of course a jack and stands. Ive never done anything with suspension before...and especially not something this involved. Ill also be doing springs, and shocks. I think its alot to do..hoping to do it in a weekend. Let us know how you make out, ive been tempted to just take the car to a shop..its the first time Ive been nervous to do something.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I just ordered the bushing kit, and the reinforced diff cover. I plan on tackling this in my garage...I have plenty of hand tools, power/air tools, and of course a jack and stands. Ive never done anything with suspension before...and especially not something this involved. Ill also be doing springs, and shocks. I think its alot to do..hoping to do it in a weekend. Let us know how you make out, ive been tempted to just take the car to a shop..its the first time Ive been nervous to do something.

I would get a bushing removal tool from MM or FTBR. It's going to save a butt load of time. Also check out MM instructions on how to do the IRS subframe bushings. Very detailed and is aimed at doing it at home on jackstands. I have looked at the instructions over and over and pictured doing the job. I'm not nervous about it. Should be done in two days. A shop will charge an arm and a leg, better off doing it yourself especially if you have all the tools.

d-nice

Established Member
I would get a bushing removal tool from MM or FTBR. It's going to save a butt load of time. Also check out MM instructions on how to do the IRS subframe bushings. Very detailed and is aimed at doing it at home on jackstands. I have looked at the instructions over and over and pictured doing the job. I'm not nervous about it. Should be done in two days. A shop will charge an arm and a leg, better off doing it yourself especially if you have all the tools.

I so want to do this to my car and am nervous about taking on this in my driveway. I have swapped out a solid rear before and had no problems but this just seems to be way more involved. I asked a pretty well know shop for a price to get this done and the first thing that the guy said was that its a pain in the ass. Said it would take them 14-16 hours to complete and would be about $1600. Now for a shop with all the necessary tools and mechanics that work on cars every day to take that long, I wonder how long it will take me.

SVTr1gger

Established Member

I did order the bushing removal kit, Ive read alot about it, and figured id have to get it. Im hoping its not as big of a deal as im thinking.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Much better than 'printed' instructions............. we made a video. Several actually!

Check out our videos page:

FTBR Informational Videos

See the videos identified as subframe prep I and II for bushing installation.

Users who are viewing this thread