HOW TO: IRS Subframe bushings at home

NJredfire03

Established Member
Well dabbled with the cobra a little bit. did the fuel filter, easy as hell, got the sway bar in, rear springs in(only kept the bottom isos) i grinded down the OEM rear subframe bolts so now theyre low profile. Big issue...can't get the bolts back in...AT ALL! even the subframe isn't going up evenly. one side is lower than the other. I'll get the bolt through then it's not threading on the other side. ANY insight or tips will be greatly appreciated!! I bolted the shock back up to the control arm, should I have done that after I got the rear subframe bolts in? would this make a difference?

Last edited:

SVTr1gger

Established Member
I would undo the shock..i put the subframe in first, and then tried to evenly lift the irs back in with two jacks. We also put a little bit of wd40, or white lithium grease on the bolts and tapped them with a rubber mallet. Didnt damage the threads at all, that part was actually pretty easy.

NJredfire03

Established Member
yeah I'm gonna go back at it tomorrow. Once I get that bolted back up I'm gonna tackle the diff seal,mount bushings,and brace. once that is done its totally downhill. cannot wait to feel the difference

Users who are viewing this thread