How to install Optima Battery in the 03/04 Cobra.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Need a new battery for my '04, and am prety sick of crappy batteries that only last a year or two.

I like the idea of keeping my battery tray uncut, as previous posters claim with the optima 75/35 (Optima GT application??)

Is there any advantage to going with the "Part # 34-78, Model # 3478DT" and cutting the tray?

Anyone know if Tousley Ford still sells these? I will try to call them on it, but I am traveling for work this week and wont have a ton of time to make calls.

BTW: My cobra is pretty stock. I have added Jamie's StartNcharge alternator, but the motor and stereo is pretty much stock.

I bought mine online from Amazon, IIRC they had the best price around. But that was almost two years ago.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I am now looking at the Optima 35 (# 8020-164FFP). It has the same ratings as the 75/35, but only has the top-mount terminals. Its also about $35 cheaper from what I can see. Before I order it, I am going to compare the dimensions vs the 75/35

I wonder if this could be the battery that was reportedly supplied in the GT. ??

Just noticed the '35' has the polarity reversed, but they have a '34' (8002-002-FFP) red top with the negative towards the front and looks like it should fit.

Dimensions:
10"wide x 6 7/8deep " x 7 13/16" tall

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread