How to install Optima Battery in the 03/04 Cobra.

Wohpony

Established Member
I've seen alot of threads about what Optima battery fits best in the 03/04 Cobra so I decided to make a How To.

So first off you need to pick up an Optima Battery (Part # 34-78, Model # 3478DT.)
DSC00896.jpg

The only tools you should need is a 5/16" socket and rachet with a extension and a small saw.

Remove the current battery then remove the battery tray by removing the 3 5/16" bolts one in the center and 2 on the side.

Set the Optima battery in side the tray, you will notice its a little to wide mark the side of the tray that sits closest to the headlight useing the battery as a guide.

Cut the side off the tray.
DSC00904.jpg

Fit test the battery and cut more if needed.

Install the two adapters that come with the battery.
DSC00897.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

Install the battery tray, slide in your new Optima and tighten it down, connect the terminals and enjoy!
DSC00905.jpg

Juruense

Banned
I would add a couple things:

It is best to cut the tray on the side towards the front of the car this way you will have an intact lip that will prevent the force of acceleration from sliding the battery back towards the rear.

If your hold down bolt is corroded as they often are you can get a new battery tray at the Ford parts counter for only $14 that comes with new hold down bolt.

Juruense

Banned
I think (not sure) that the blanket is to prevent damage when the battery explodes or to insulate it from heat...

I also removed my blanket.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Or you can run the Ford GT battery (just a group 75/35 Optima with a Ford sticker on it) and not have to cut your battery tray. I got my battery from Steve @ Tousley for $129 + shipping and the adapter was free from Optima. Don't even have to pull the tray to install it since there are no modifications needed.

attachment.php

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Anyone ever figure out where this tray came from?

LIKE IT

Established Member
Or you can run the Ford GT battery (just a group 75/35 Optima with a Ford sticker on it) and not have to cut your battery tray. I got my battery from Steve @ Tousley for $129 + shipping and the adapter was free from Optima. Don't even have to pull the tray to install it since there are no modifications needed.

attachment.php
? what is the CCA on that battery Thx.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
If your hold down bolt is corroded as they often are you can get a new battery tray at the Ford parts counter for only $14 that comes with new hold down bolt.

I need to do that. My bolt is corroded almost to the point where it won't thread in.

Back-N-Black

Established Member
I would add a couple things:

It is best to cut the tray on the side towards the front of the car this way you will have an intact lip that will prevent the force of acceleration from sliding the battery back towards the rear.

Wouldn't the force of braking be higher than any possible force of acceleration?

i have a red top optima and by tray is not cut.

What is the part number and model number?

There are two size optimas, you only have to cut the tray with the larger size.

What are the part numbers for these?

I've gone to the Optima website and they do not identify any batteries for the Mustang or the GT.

Anybody know who Tousley is? Tousley Motorsports perhaps?

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
The answer to that last question would be Steve at Tousley Ford. Look in the vendor section.

Back-N-Black

Established Member

attachment.php

This looks like a real nice setup but my 03 SVT Cobra hold down clamp does not look like the one you have pictured here. I can't find a 75/35 here but did find the 75/25. It was just too narrow for the 03 SVT Cobra mounting clamp.

Users who are viewing this thread