How to improve handling on 04 Cobra?

xenon

Established Member
I am an ex 2001 Vortech S/C GT owner and my girlfriend recently bought (don't laugh) a 2005 Mini Cooper S. I think this is a cute car for a chick and I never thought I would ever want to drive it but let me tell you how much it surprised me after I took it for a spin.

The strait line acceleration is nothing to write home about (0-60 in 6.9sec) but I’ve taken corners in her MCS faster than I would ever dream possible in my S/C Stang.

I was looking at buying a low mileage 04 Cobra but I don’t think I can live with the handling. I know it has IRS and that is much better than the GT but I am sure it could use some improvement. What is required to improve handling drastically?

SlowSVT

Established Member
It's not likely a 3700 lb. Cobra will ever handle like a Mini Cooper. Guys on the autocross circuit get flogged by the smaller cars in the corners. I hear putting Derlin bushings in the lower rear control arms makes a big difference. If you go with hard bushings on all the suspension pivot point you will transmit lots of road shock to the chassis and cause the body to rattle after a while. A set of sub-frame connectors will stiffen the chassis (I've got the Hans). Put better tires on the car (Goodyear DS3's are a good choice). Move the battery to the trunk to take weight off the nose. If you wanna get a little crazy you can remove the AC, rear seat and go with lighter front seats. Some guys swear by the coil over springs while others swear at them (I personally don't like the idea of supporting the entier weight of the car on the shock towers. One guy stated that his wife jumped a curve and punched a hole right through the shock mount). Those changes will help but it will never be a real nimble car. Too much mass.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Totally different animals...

Tight course ----->Mini and SVT Focus rule...

Add some high speed sweepers and a couple medium length straights....

A bone stock Terminator will eat em up...

--> note modded M3 getting owned in sig at TWS

You need to drive one! :banana:

Jimmy :thumbsup:

TTA89

Established Member
I think its a floaty pig stock but thats just me. :)

$1570 = Maximum Motorsports Front and Rear Coilovers with Rear 2000R Shocks, Full Length Subs, K-member Brace, Strut Tower Brace and CC plates.

This is WAY better than stock, I lost to a Full Race Miata on Hoosiers by less than 1 second on a 2 min and 20 second Auto X course and I was miles ahead of the Vettes, BMWs and F-bodies.

It still drives just like stock on the street but when you turn the wheel it turns, instead of wanting to rollover and play dead with the stock suspension . :-D :-D I hade Top Time of the Day out of a field of 43 2 Auto X's ago and lost to that Miata and a friend in a 96 Kobra last event.

Last edited:

TK Doom

Established Member
TTA89 said:

$1570 = Maximum Motorsports Front and Rear Coilovers with Rear 2000R Shocks, Full Length Subs, K-member Brace, Strut Tower Brace and CC plates.

This is WAY better than stock, I lost to a Full Race Miata on Hoosiers by less than 1 second on a 2 min and 20 second Auto X course and I was miles ahead of the Vettes, BMWs and F-bodies.

It still drives just like stock on the street but when you turn the wheel it turns, instead of wanting to rollover and play dead with the stock suspension . :-D :-D I hade Top Time of the Day out of a field of 43 2 Auto X's ago and lost to that Miata and a friend in a 96 Kobra last event.

When you say it drives like stock, do you mean that it isn't a much rougher ride or anything?

TTA89

Established Member
TK Doom said:
When you say it drives like stock, do you mean that it isn't a much rougher ride or anything?

Yes, I mean it rides like stock. Its not harsh or jarring and really doesn't feel much different from a stock car until you turn the wheel.

I paid $1570 for the following

375lb Front Coilover Kit
550lb Rear Coilover Kit with 2000 Cobra R shocks
K-Member Brace
Strut Tower Brace
Full Length Subs
CC Plates

My IRS is stock other than Billetflow Brace and 14mm Bolts. I don't really have any issues with my IRS. :shrug:

All MM stuff. Look on there website and call some of there distributors, they will get you a better deal than buying direct. I bought through Brooks Performance.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
TTA89 said:

I was going to recommend a set of coilovers as well. The car will definitely handle a whole lot better. Not a cheap setup, but it IS adjustable. So it works well on a road course.

coolcobra

Established Member
handling improvements

I went with the Maximum Motorsports coil overs front and rear with stock Bilstein shocks, with about 1 1/2 lower stance. In addition, I used their full length subframe connectors and changed the IRS 14mm bolt and bushings.

I have been to 3 road racing events, and quite pleased with my set up and the ride in much better than stock on the road. There is virtually no body roll or brake dive. My only problem is the need to go slow over speed bumps and drive way entrances.

My previous rides include a M-5, 4 Porsches and one 930 Turbo, and I feel the suspension set up on my Cobra is close--but still lacks the tight feel and road feedback of the German sports cars.

The cars' limitation in road racing is my abilities!

jpk

Established Member
I'm no road racing expert, but I'd say the chassis is by far the weakest link of the Cobra. The suspension is second and weight is third. Get the chassis fixed first, then see how much tweaking you need on the suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread