HOW-TO: Fix the lumbar support

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I've done countless searches on how to fix the lumbar support. I won't take it to the dealer a third time for them to fix it cause it's a waste of my time and the nearest dealer is about 30 minutes away.

Has anyone done this?

Basically it's out of place and bulging out of the back instead of the front. It does inflate, but it's out of place.

I'm not even sure how the seat is on there. I heard someone mention there's two hooks that connect the front of the seat with the back of the seat, but saw nothing like this.

:shrug:

EDIT, PICTURES BELOW!... This is How to fix your lumbar support. This damn thing had been bugging me for days. Total time to complete this task was around 30-40 minutes. Be patient, and most of all, becareful with your driver seat. This does NOT require you to go to the dealership especially if you're out of warranty. I wasn't but I hate leaving my car there. Took this pictures for you guys cause I'd like to contribute something more than just smackdown comments. haha. enjoy

These are the "tools" I used to fix my lumbar support..

lumbar8.jpg

Push your seat forward using the buttons in front of the seat. Lean it forward using the lever, and make sure it stays there. Locate the bottom of the seat, and there you will find the two connections holding the front of the seat, to the back of the seat. It's about a foot long, and all black.. see picture

lumbar.jpg

Disconnect these two hooks..

lumbar1.jpg

Push the front part to the front of the seat FROM the back... like this...

lumbar2.jpg

Now locate the other lever on the back of the seat that tilts the seat forward... Disconnect this lever. User a little leverage and this thing will pop right off. from TOP to Bottom!

lumbar3.jpg

Now carefully work the leather/suede seat up. Take your time with this. it may require a little muscle, but I know everyone on SVTP is the Hulk!

Should look something like this now...

lumbar4.jpg

As you can see, the lumbar bladder was out of place. DEFLATE IT FIRST!! do it nowwww! Many be experiencing this same problem. The white pouch below is where it goes, so carefully put it back in there. There is a vac line attached at the bottom of this thing, so becareful not to pinch it or the bladder will not fill up properly. again, deflate this thing before you go any further!

lumbar5.jpg

lumbar6.jpg

In anticipation that this might happen again, I used clear tape to basically hold it in it's place. You can use whatever, but I just went with what I had. It's basic clear packaging tape. No one will ever know it's there except you and well, everyone here now.

lumbar7.jpg

Before you even think about putting the leather/suede skin of the seat down, INFLATE the bladder to make sure it's working properly, and it's in its secure position in the white pouch.

Work the seat cover back down, and reconnect the two hooks, front to back. This is tricky, so muscle up a bit. Make sure everything is tight and secure, reconnect the lever on the back of the seat, and you're good to go. yay for Lumbar Support!

Mods, please move this to the "HOW-TO" section...

-lex

Last edited:

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
Nice write up. I have the same problem, now I will fix it thanks.:banana::banana:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
awesome write up bro thanks for the contribution! this has bugged the hell out of me since i got my car in october.

i need to remove the front seat when i install my clutch quadrant...will perform this fix with the seat out of the car.

Juruense

Banned
Mine is in the correct place but it leaks and does not hold the air. Based on your experience with the part do you think it is fixable or just needing replaced?

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Oh Man, Thanks a million for this write up and photos. I really really appreciate this.
I have had the same freakin problem now for months and have dreaded bringing this into the idiots at the stealership to take hundreds of dollars of my money. Looks like I have a project tis weekend.
Thanks Bro!!!

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I did mine last year but I removed the seat and did it on the bench. I ddint tape it and its on the move again lol. This time I wont remove the seat.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
mine isn't holding air. are there replacement parts?

I'm not sure if there are replacement parts... it could just be that the bottom of the bladder isn't connected to the filling tee.. It's clear and it just plugs into the bladder to either fill it, or deflate it.

Mine is in the correct place but it leaks and does not hold the air. Based on your experience with the part do you think it is fixable or just needing replaced?

See above, you both may have the same problem. I'm not an expert, but if you needed the part in a hurry, Steve @ Tousley may be able to get it to you asap!

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the tee and the hose that connect to the bottom of the bladder. It's there! trust me.
good luck!

glad many of you appreciated the write up!

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Hey! I did it. No hits , runs or errors. Great write up and thank you!

I realized that mine moved when i realized the seat back looked like the hunchback of Notre Dame. There is ONE ADD to the write up. The white section on the back of the seat has a an indent and a tab. It aligns with a tab on the bladder (side facing the back of the seat. I believe the intent was for it to hold the bladder in place. We all see how that worked out.

I put tape on the outside to hold it in place and on the inside I used double sided carpet tape. So far so good.

I thank you, and my back thanks you.

vipergts281

Established Member
I did this about 3 years ago. But now it is out of place again. Haven't fixed it again yet.

Seems to be very common. Ford quality.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Great thread, deserves a bump. Don't forget to put the bladder tab in the tab on the white hard plastic.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Great thread and write up! Mine had this problem over three years ago, luckily Ford fixed it the first time I brought it back.

Users who are viewing this thread