How to drive these Coyote engines?

MLMike25

Established Member
So far, is there a universal way not to drive these Coyote engines?

For example, folks with a Terminator knows not to boost in 5th or 6th gear (for prolonged periods) b/c of piston clearance.

Is there a similar rule for the Coyotes? I want to be sure that I don't do whatever it is.

lsp408

Established Member
the proper way to drive these motors is simply keep rpm above 3500 rpm. cause thats when the motor pulls hard!!!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
last night i had a beat on it pretty hard. two runs until the end of 5th gear reving it to 7500rpm. I did not have an issue at all. no lights no noise no smoke nothing. the car feels as good as ever.

MLMike25

Established Member
last night i had a beat on it pretty hard. two runs until the end of 5th gear reving it to 7500rpm. I did not have an issue at all. no lights no noise no smoke nothing. the car feels as good as ever.

I guess that's what I'm trying to get it. Sounds like it IS ok to push these engines through 5th and 6th gear?

Just trying to find out the good/bad about these. Thanks.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I guess that's what I'm trying to get it. Sounds like it IS ok to push these engines through 5th and 6th gear?

Just trying to find out the good/bad about these. Thanks.

i dont see why anyone would make any 6th gear runs becaue 6th is just an overdrive to save fuel. I think that fifth gear runs are fine.. the problem with the cobras was that the heat exchangers would get heat soaked and raised the iat to the point that it will cause detonation. plus alot of people didnt have the eavenflow head cooling mode on top of that. this motors dont have to worry about that as the iat will be pretty much ambient. as long as the tune is fine then it should be safe.

Melvo

Trying to be fast
Established Member
I've never had any problems. I enjoy doing 6th gear pulls. I thought the terminators were problem prone because of the whole blower thing and not spot on tuning right? They were fine stock

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Keep in mind that 5th is 1:1 in the new 5.0's, which is the same as 4th in the 03/04's(and basically everything else).

2011fiveliter

Established Member
I beat on my car pretty good, and I have had no issues at all. I am approaching 6,000miles. Hits 7000rpms on a regular basis. Drive it, like you stole it. Ha, Ha.

chuckstang

Established Member
what is the stock redline set at, looks like 6800?

What is the safe limit to raise the redline at on a stock motor?

ViciousJay

Established Member

if you look at dyno sheets these cars start falling off at 6K or so, shifting higher without the boss intake might not help

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The boss intake is a must for high rpm runs

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member

IIRC, 6800 redline, 7000 fuel cutoff

i've seen lots of people running up at 7500 with zero issues at all, no reports that i know of of an engine failure from RPMs only. who knows what the safe limit really is with these young engines though.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i saw on horsepower tv when they had a coyote on the dyno.. they spoke to ford and ford told them that they could spin it to 7400rpm all day long. i have gone to 7700 a couple of times without an issue. sometimes it just revs very fast and catches you off guard but i normaly shift at 7500. 1980 miles on the motor atm.

chuckstang

Established Member
i saw on horsepower tv when they had a coyote on the dyno.. they spoke to ford and ford told them that they could spin it to 7400rpm all day long. i have gone to 7700 a couple of times without an issue. sometimes it just revs very fast and catches you off guard but i normaly shift at 7500. 1980 miles on the motor atm.

do you have a tuner, is that how you raised your redline?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Yes I have a tuner ofcourse. I raised my redline because I have a boss intake manifold.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread