How to deal with this eBay buyer?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Probably using Pay Pal Credit. Pay Pal has been expanding lately to stores as well. Local Home Depot accepts Pay Pal, you can purchase the item online and pick it up with an ID and email confirmation.

Not sure what the protection would be in something like that, I would do what someone else said and have him sign a pick up confirmation if you’re willing to go this route.

Yeah if you do it right PayPal can protect you as well.

The transaction needs to be done as payment for merchandise. This will cost you a small fee based on the price, but offers you sellers protection. From there document the fact that the product was delivered as described in the ebay listing and get a signed notice that the product was delivered to the winning bidder. If he tries charging back the account or filing a dispute, that information will help you win the case and keep the money.

97ReoCobra

Established Member
If he has a decent number of eBay feedbacks and a high positive % tell him you'll accept paypal but he has to add the "discount" to the total. If it's no to any of those move on.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
What payment option/method did you offer in your eBay listing?

This. If you specifically stated cash on delivery in the ad then he can go pound sand. File a complaint with Ebay against him and then relist the item.

MysticRob

Established Member
LOL. Ok, so it seems SVTP is pretty much divided on this. Kind of like I am. I really want to get the damn thing out of the garage since it's taking up so much space. And the other part wants to tell him no thanks because something doesn't smell right.

He might be the only guy to take it so I'd just make it very clear with him signing documentation that it's as-is and good luck. Then free up your garage space. His use of paypal could be seen as being shady, but if you have the signed documentation from him regarding condition, etc, then you're good. Just verify it clears first before pick up.

01GTB

Established Member
In the payments and shipping it was listed as pay at pickup. I had no real problem taking a postal money order, but ebay will not allow you to include that. I did not check the box where it said "accept PayPal." If he had contacted me pretty shortly after he ended the auction I wouldn't have thought much about it. His avoidance for days and days seems sketchy. By the looks of it I don't think he lives further than 10 miles from here.

I agree, Rob. If I have to relist it I will have to pay a final value fee next time..if there is even a buyer. If this guy doesn't try to screw me I'd just as soon have this behemoth out of the garage.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Have you considered selling it to a scrapyard? A lot of those places will even come and carry it away.

01GTB

Established Member
Scrapping would not be a problem but its too nice to scrap. I bought it with the fallback idea of doing that, but even when metals were paying good I knew even then it would be better to sell it. The inside and out are as nice as you will find in a used 50 cf commercial refrigerator.

nxhappy

Established Member
yep, have him send money as PP gift.

otherwise he could pay, reclaim the money, and state that he never picked up said item ...

cj428mach

Established Member
Then if I leave him negative feedback he can tell eBay that he tried to complete the sale, but I was the problem. I really don't think he wanted the thing after he made the offer.

I don't think sellers can leave negative feedback anymore. I know I was selling some lifters and a guy bid them up to $150. When it was time to pay he gave me some excuse that he was on the road and would in a day or two. Finally a week later he just quit responding, by that time the second highest bidder had moved on and found some.

I looked into trying to leave negative feedback but everything I found said the seller couldn't do that anymore. The only thing I got out of it was I got to relist the lifters for free unfortunately this time they only sold for $80. :fm:

thehunterooo

Established Member
I have 1200+ feedback so I am a bit of an expert. I would just relist it and sell it again, you might even get more. I wouldn't say this is a scam but is sounds like a pain.

But most likely the buyer either is using PayPal to pay via a credit card or some other reason, but there is always a chance for a dispute. If paid with a credit card that is another level that could be disputed. Just easier to get cash on site or someone who buys it and pays quickly is a really good sign.

Also, people on eBay do not read. I have sold quite a few things that did not work and sold them for parts or repair while stating mutilple times that it did not work, etc. Then the buyer will send a message saying the item doesn't work and wants a refund, calling me a scammer and such haha

Users who are viewing this thread