How to deal with this eBay buyer?

01GTB

Established Member
I've had a non-working, commercial refrigerator sitting in my shop for two years and decided it was time to sell it when eBay sent an offer to sell items for free. No listing or final value fees. I list it for $250 but lower it to $225 or best offer, local pickup only, payment due at time of pickup. I get an offer of $175 and I accept it, ending the auction. I really wanted to send a counter offer, but figured I better take what I can get.

I message the buyer and get no reply. Two days later I send another message. I send another invoice and finally get a reply five days after the auction ended. He says he will get with me shortly to pay and pickup the item.

Nine days after the end of the auction he contacts me and says he does not feel comfortable paying cash and asks if I can take another form of payment. I reply that I do not understand what he means about not being comfortable. You pick it up and give me money when you do so. He sends back a reply that simply says, "paypal?"

I've had a weird feeling ever since the beginning. Almost like he threw an offer out there and never expected it to be accepted. Would you take Paypal for an item that someone was picking up? It seems like he could just say he never got it and file a complaint with paypal, and I'd be out a refrigerator and $175.

Last edited:

DaBigBone

Established Member
I've taken paypal in similar situations before. I just make sure the funds are showing as "available" in my account before I let them leave with the items.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i wouldnt do it personally, Id be afraid of them disputing it. I would imagine this is an-is sale, buyer takes their chances on if its worth fixing or not

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What payment option/method did you offer in your eBay listing?

sleek98

Established Member
He might not have the cash and wants to put it on a credit card, thus going through paypal. If you do it through paypal make him gift the money while you are standing there. Since there is no need for the buyer protection since he is taking it with him and its being sold as is non working, that is why I said gift it.

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Does you ad clearly state not working to the point even Stevie Wonder can't question it?

Just asking as a just in case the dude tries to pull a fast one through paypal to say he got sold a defective fridge.

The gaps in response are weird. Maybe just relist it.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
IF you decide to accept the PayPal, tell the buyer that when he picks it up, you WILL REQUIRE him to show you a proof of identification AND sign a receipt of property that you and him will both sign and get a copy of. Get that notarized if you are able to do so.

Otherwise, cancel the sale and relist it.

01GTB

Established Member
Does you ad clearly state not working to the point even Stevie Wonder can't question it?

Just asking as a just in case the dude tries to pull a fast one through paypal to say he got sold a defective fridge.

The gaps in response are weird. Maybe just relist it.

Very clear on the description. The only question he asked before making the offer was whether it had the bottom rail and caster wheels, which it does. My thought is that he is trying to drag this out and make it to where I finally say no, I've had enough of this game. Then if I leave him negative feedback he can tell eBay that he tried to complete the sale, but I was the problem. I really don't think he wanted the thing after he made the offer.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Just relist it and be done with that buyer. Time is money, and you're wasting time.

01GTB

Established Member
IF you decide to accept the PayPal, tell the buyer that when he picks it up, you WILL REQUIRE him to show you a proof of identification AND sign a receipt of property that you and him will both sign and get a copy of. Get that notarized if you are able to do so.

Otherwise, cancel the sale and relist it.

That was what I was thinking. Making him sign a pickup acknowledgement.

usmc320

Established Member
I'm pretty sure ebay requires you to accept Paypal. If you're not comfortable dealing with him, I would just relist it.

Last edited:

wile e coyote

Established Member
Paypal is EVERYWHERE these days. I wouldn't hesitate to accept it. People carrying around cash is getting more and more rare.........just make sure it clears and is in your account and do a simple bill of sale with the dude. Get a copy of his ID or something just to be safe.

Hell, when you check out at the sporting goods stores and stuff around here you can choose to pay with paypal!!!

01GTB

Established Member
LOL. Ok, so it seems SVTP is pretty much divided on this. Kind of like I am. I really want to get the damn thing out of the garage since it's taking up so much space. And the other part wants to tell him no thanks because something doesn't smell right.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Probably using Pay Pal Credit. Pay Pal has been expanding lately to stores as well. Local Home Depot accepts Pay Pal, you can purchase the item online and pick it up with an ID and email confirmation.

Not sure what the protection would be in something like that, I would do what someone else said and have him sign a pick up confirmation if you’re willing to go this route.

Users who are viewing this thread