How to be a proper NCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
what are you looking for in particular? There are the easy things like keeping yourself squared away, setting the example, etc. But are you asking how to lead?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Well one thing is to know the regs and where to find them. In damn near everything honestly. I can't count the number of times I've seen other NCOs **** over their troops because they were ignorant to the regs. I'm talking evaluations, regs for PCS/TDY (use the JFTR for that one), etc.

Mcdiaz

rookie SVT Poster
Established Member
the best advice i can tell you is lead by example, and know your information in general. One of the things that also helped me the most was knowing the difference between a good NCO and A terrible NCO, and I am sure you have plenty of examples in your Unit, and that set my standards.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't be a douche just to be a douche.

Lots of NCO's seem to love doing that.

I find this to be because they are on a power trip simply because they have the "power". Hence the reason I suggested he know the regs. Call them out (not in front of subordinates of course), it is your duty as an NCO to ensure EVERYONE is maintaining the standard.

NinjaBum

Established Member
Yeah pretty much. Felt bad for guys underneath some shitbird e5 or corporal who was trippin' hard.

I tried to be chill until you screwed up.

Cbarr300

Established Member
Separate yourself from Jr enlisted friends as much as possible. Dont be a supervisor, be a working supervisor. Work with them and teach them. The more they know, the easier your job. Check on their welfare, learn how to talk with, not to. Know your job. Make them accountable for themselves. Dont complain to lower ranks.

jmsa540

Established Member
Separate yourself from Jr enlisted friends as much as possible. Dont be a supervisor, be a working supervisor. Work with them and teach them. The more they know, the easier your job. Check on their welfare, learn how to talk with, not to. Know your job. Make them accountable for themselves. Dont complain to lower ranks.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Bad-Buford

Established Member
Advice from 26 and counting year CSM. The Army is changing fast. Go to youtube and look up TRADOC. ALM 2015, Doctrine 2015, AWG (Asymmetric Warfare Group), AWALP. These will provide you with the knowledge of were the Army is going which will allow you to adapt your experiences into useful training venues.

Foster a learning environment for you joes, be fair but firm. Mistakes will happen but that is part of the journey.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
don't forget where you came from
don't make the same mistake twice
you can learn something from everyone
LEAD FROM THE FRONT
hold your bearing in any situation and stay motivated to complete the mission.

congrats on the promotion!:beer:

mrose75

Established Member
Lead by example. Know and understand your sphere of influence. The little things you do or say or don't do or don't say have far reaching impact upon your Soldiers. You were a Soldier, you know. They will watch every little thing you do and either mirror it or use it to build their own personal case against you. Be, Know, Do. Are you going to have the personal courage to tell your buddy or that other NCO or officer that they are out of line? Or will you let it slide? They are watching, they are always watching. Live the creed.

Last edited by a moderator:

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
This is really just leadership in general

1. Set a positive example personally and professionally. PT, work ethic, knowledge, uniform wear, and not doing anything stupid. Get dirty and work with your guys when you can.
2. Be the type of person that people want to follow. This feeds off of point 1. Don't be a dick to be a dick and maintan the same standards that you enforce. Develop an atmosphere of mutual respect so people will work for you because they want to instead of fear.
3. Honestly care about your troops. Get to know them on a personal level and seek to grow them as individuals. Actions speak louder than words so don't talk about how much you care about them and then treat them like shit. You still need to be a supervisor and leader. They have enough friends so they don't need you trying to be theirs.
4. You're training and supervising people who one day may replace you as you move up or move out. Make sure that you transfer your knowledge and skills to them. Empower your people whenever you can. I've always told my people that if it's good for the mission, good for the AF, and isn't illegal or immoral then they don't need my permission if they have the skills and resources to do something.
5. Set reasonable expectations and deadlines. Set them up for success instead of failure.
6. Know what decsions you can make at your level. If you don't have the authority to make the decision then deliver the situation to somebody who does.

To shorten that up: don't be a hypocrite, don't be a douche, and share your knowledge

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
These are my traits that's I've uniquely placed for myself to separate me from other NCOs; some are common though:

1. Don't yell just for the sake of yelling. There are different purposes and attitudes when raising your voice. Junior Marines get accustomed to NCOs who yell at them for every little thing. NCOs who can't control their tempers display poor leadership qualities imo because they struggle to actually sit down and work out an issue. And junior Marines just become numb to it anyways and you lose your edge with them. See how they react when you're the calmest guy they know but then they manage to piss you off. The slightest hint that you're raising your voice and you'll see some guys start to tear up. They feel like they've just disappointed their dad or something.

2. Don't be afraid to ask questions and admit when you're wrong. Know your job and know how to find answers because you won't know the answer to every question.

3. If you get your own squad, run it with the mindset like you're running your own business. Think efficiently and look for ways to stream line your business and make it more productive.

4. Be everywhere on time, finish your work on time, and don't complain... at least not in the sight of your subordinates or anyone higher that may form a negative opinion of you for it.

5. Don't be afraid to speak up and take the lead.

6. Don't be a dick suck.

BCisme

Established Member
Advice from 26 and counting year CSM. The Army is changing fast. Go to youtube and look up TRADOC. ALM 2015, Doctrine 2015, AWG (Asymmetric Warfare Group), AWALP. These will provide you with the knowledge of were the Army is going which will allow you to adapt your experiences into useful training venues.

Foster a learning environment for you joes, be fair but firm. Mistakes will happen but that is part of the journey.

this.

by the time i hit 13 years, i had broken my back for my country, and wasnt the slim fast highspeed guy i once was. i could barely keep up with PT, i was in agony every day, and once i went on profile and my MEB started,i took a staff job off base and i was pretty much out of the picture on day to day soldier stuff. ideally you want to lead by example, but even when you are a broke old man you can still lead in other ways. as a young NCO you should be much more visible. be the first person they see at PT formation, and the one who sends them home at COB.

keeping up with the constant changes is one of the best things you can do. i spent most of my last 2 years pushing/developing my E4's with leadership skills to better themselves and advance their careers. I often used the angle of "i'm not going to be here much longer, step up to the plate and be the soldier who gets promoted to take my place". be the same leader to everyone, but help each soldier with the individual needs they have.

basically you need to create your own leadership style. teach them everything you know, and most importantly enable them. having connections and resources is also good. especially when it comes to training.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
LEAD, dont follow. Some people have a natural instinct for leadership, other have to build. There are managers, and there are leaders. Learn to be both, and when to apply accordingly.

Set the example, be the example.

Have a mentor, regardless if its another NCO or someone higher ranking, you need that input/guidance.

Learn from your mistakes, and others.

Know what battles to fight, and what bridges to burn, not all of them are worth fighting.

Hold those accountable around you for their actions, including other NCO's, just dont turn a blind eye.

Give constructive feedback, cultivate & empower those under you to your job, and hold them to the same standards you hold yourself to. Be realistic....

Be prepared for change, manage it correctly. It will happen especially in today's military.

Realize, there are some things you cant influence.

Rate someone truthfully. The military would promote alot less shitbags if SNCO/NCO's had alot more conviction and actually rated people on their performance, and not the "norm". If someone sucks, rate them as such, dont award them with a fake performance report marking, your only screwing yourself, and the rest of the people in the process.

When you "say" someone is a good NCO it doesnt mean just as work, or doing their job. I know people who are good, but then you those who would give their shirt off their back or their last dime. Those are your "good" NCO's. Its a well rounded package.

Lastly, just take care of your people. Guard them from the bad people, the stupid policies, and everything in your control. Be that "filter" and voice of reason.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I didnt read any of the comments on here but here is a little advice for you. Iv been in almost 11yrs and am a SSG so Iv seen some pretty wild stuff.

As a E5 dont settle for less than being a squad leader. I knot some MOS such as MPs the squad leader is a SSG and the team leaders are SGTs... As a mechanic SGTs are squad leaders and SSGs are platoon sergeants or in my case shop foreman / team chief. with that being said still dont settle for anything less that squad leader. If you are not one then strive to be the best and become one.

Ok the the meat and potatos. I HATE HATE HATE POS NCOs that are "sergeants" so dont be that guy who will just focus on your best interests. Off duty is when you focus on yourself and do things like college or what ever. While on duty think only of your soldiers. Learn them, figure out what makes them tick and figure out how to use them to their fullest abilities. Once you have done this push them further into those areas they dont like. worse case is they learn something new. While you are doing this work on learning everything you possibly can about your job and just over all army stuff. Be the leader who knows his job better than anyone else and always has the answers. I currently work for a SFC who as a mechanic should have a damn good grasp on mechanics but he couldn't install a windshield wiper blade and asks things like " how do you spell LA or LAX" seriously im not lieing.
You will be passed up in your job knowledge by a younger guy sooner or later but at least know as much as you can. Your role is more leadership and some will say "well your SFC doesnt need to know mechanical stuff anymore his role is not supervisor blaa blaa blaa" thats complete bullshit and you cannot lead that way.

Next as much as you may hate it, be that guy who volunteers for the crappy details. you will learn from them and in many cases your soldiers will be on a detail with you. you will gain their trust this way. you can lead by yelling all day long but the leader who has the trust of his soldiers will accomplish way more with his guys than the leader who just yells. If you have their trust they will respect you and do tasks for you because they respect you instead of doing a task so they wont get in trouble. with respect you will get better work out of your guys.

NOT be afraid to correct ANY soldier regardless of rank, just be respectful and professional. Iv been corrected on stuff by E1s and they were respectful standing at parade rest and my only comment iv ever used is "thank you and good looking out". If they out rank you and tell you to go pound dirt just shrug it off and tell your platoon sergeant. If the soldier is lower ranking and wont listen simply write down his name and figure out who his first line it. tell his first like you would like to see a counseling on the soldier and if he tells you to pound dirt tell the lil shits platoon sergeant. they days of yelling and shit are over all it will do is get you jacked up. i know i know its bullshit but its just how it is now.

Make yourself known as the guy not to **** with but at the same time be approachable. If you said something you need to mean it and always back it up. if you tell a dude to be somewhere at a certain time and if he/she is late you will give them a 4856... you damn well give the soldier a 4856 ASAP if he/she is late. dont cuss at a soldier because they can use that against you if you find yourself recommending actions be taken against time under the UCMJ. Before you correct a soldier if you have the time and other seasoned NCOs around you get some advice first. you never know they might keep you from smashing a joes head in or they might have a outstanding corrective action.

last and not least. if you had buddies when you were a E4 you have to ditch them. dont be that NCO who goes out drinking with your old buddies and calling each other by first name. If your whole section meets up for some celebration and alcohol is involved have a drink with them and then leave. Dont accept a drink from a lower enlisted and dont offer one to them regardless of age.

As gay as it sounds if you live by the NCO creed and not just recite it you will be fine. also watch out for what some NCOs will tell you. As you probably know just because we are NCOs doesn't mean we are all perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread