how to 4valve a s197

4valvemach

Established Member
Just looking for some imput into what it would take to put a 4valve cobra motor in a new body style mustang.40k for a gt500 is to much and to build a car would be some fun.I love my mach1 motor, seats,scoop and the blue paint but not so much the body style and love the whine of a kenne bell.so I have this in mind= azure blue with mach1 treatment as in seats ,strips,scoop,wing and a nasty motor.plus it would be diffrent:-D

cthunder

Established Member
Why? the 3 valve has shown to be far better under boost than the 4 valve. If you still wish to do so, you'll have to get 4 valve heads and upper intake. The engine did not change much.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
:read::read::read::dw::??::kaboom::nonono::read::idea:
Sorry IMO it would be WAAAAAAYYYYY to much of a pain in the ass to do something like that no to mention cost shit you should just buy the GT500. Dude just look around great numbers are being made with Superchargers/Turbo's and Nitrous.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just put forged rods and pistons into what you have now, supercharger/turbo, fuel delivery, tune and go.

BTW: Timing covers are different too. The intake side of the 3v heads is very similar to the 4Vs(good), and the single big exhaust valve, I would imagine, is significantly less sensitive to the TICK issue, it has more mass and is less likely to overheat it's guide.(also good) An exhaust valve that is NOT glowing red hot, also will be much less likely to initiate a detonation event.

Last edited:

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Why?

If you want a new motor dont go with a crappy run of the mill 4v, get a new motor to put in the thing and make it a beast. Ive never liked goin stock to stock.

BlownnGT

Established Member
umm the 4 valve has a built bottom and you can probably find them cheap as to spending the money on a "new motor"

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
After its all said and done you have bought a new motor. Instead of buying some retards 30k miles or whatever the case may be worth of punishment he/she has put on the motor, rebuilding the top end, making sure the motor you have got is in good shape, NOT TO MENTION FINDING THE DAMN THING, you could have got a nice built new motor. But i could never find one for 'cheap' when i was thinking about putting a new motor in my GT. So i just let it go.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
I work in a speed shop. you put the same mods on a 4 valve as compared to a 3 valve and the 3 valve has significantly MORE horsepower.

pics vids or ban.

Might be a reason that most all performance modular race cars are running 4v's though......

machstang23

Established Member
Why? the 3 valve has shown to be far better under boost than the 4 valve. If you still wish to do so, you'll have to get 4 valve heads and upper intake. The engine did not change much.

you may want to contact Ford about this, because according to you they are doing it wrong by supercharging the 4v motors and not the 3v...

cthunder

Established Member
Check out roush's site... they have the M90 kit for the 05-08 mustangs that pump out 390 RWHP all day long on 8 psi. Compare that to a procharged Mach 1 that hits 400whp on 10 psi.

Users who are viewing this thread