how to 4valve a s197

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Check out roush's site... they have the M90 kit for the 05-08 mustangs that pump out 390 RWHP all day long on 8 psi. Compare that to a procharged Mach 1 that hits 400whp on 10 psi.

not even comparable. Roots SC versus a Centri. Are you looking at peak hp or the entire powerband? Sure the 3v might be off by 10hp, but if the 4v has a more linear powerband, better tq curve, etc. id rather be in the 4v, or vice-a-versa.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Check out roush's site... they have the M90 kit for the 05-08 mustangs that pump out 390 RWHP all day long on 8 psi. Compare that to a procharged Mach 1 that hits 400whp on 10 psi.

10 PSI should be putting down more then 400 rwhp... but if you are going to compare the 3valve and 4valve engines... at least use the same type of supercharger so the results can be shown as similar.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Just looking for some imput into what it would take to put a 4valve cobra motor in a new body style mustang.40k for a gt500 is to much and to build a car would be some fun.I love my mach1 motor, seats,scoop and the blue paint but not so much the body style and love the whine of a kenne bell.so I have this in mind= azure blue with mach1 treatment as in seats ,strips,scoop,wing and a nasty motor.plus it would be diffrent:-D

MOVED:wf::wf::bash:

WTF is so damn hard about using the correct fricking forums people?:nonono::nonono::nonono:

The SVTP staff has to move multiple threads every day.

How about turning on your brains before you post.:bored:

4valvemach

Established Member
was not trying to start a war but the looks of 4v motor alone would make the swap worth it.The question is what would you need to do the swap?how to wire it to make it run ,computer,headers,a/c etc etc.....what parts do you think would be needed:)

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
eatdrink033.gif

Thump_rrr

Established Member
GT500 crate motor $14,999
GT500 PCM and Wiring harness $1,500
8 bolt flywheel $385.00
GT500 exhaust headers and H-Pipe $2,000

I can see you'll be saving a ton of money and still will have no warranty.

After all is said and done you'll probably still get beat by a lighter 3v with a blower or hairdryer and a forged shortblock.

96supersnake

Established Member
GT500 crate motor $14,999
GT500 PCM and Wiring harness $1,500
8 bolt flywheel $385.00
GT500 exhaust headers and H-Pipe $2,000

I can see you'll be saving a ton of money and still will have no warranty.

After all is said and done you'll probably still get beat by a lighter 3v with a blower or hairdryer and a forged shortblock.

WELL SAID :lol:. kenne bell has already done this test , and the 3 valve is just as good , if not better flowing.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
WELL SAID :lol:. kenne bell has already done this test , and the 3 valve is just as good , if not better flowing.
IMHO it is not that the 3V heads flow better but that the 3v has VCT which enables the timing to vary with the rpm's.
It has been proven that when the VCT is turned off there is a loss of around 40 rwhp on a car running around 12psi of boost.
There are many people using VCT lockouts or limiters since there have been some cam phazer failures with stiffer valve springs and higher lift cams while others don't.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=1701

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I work in a speed shop. you put the same mods on a 4 valve as compared to a 3 valve and the 3 valve has significantly MORE horsepower.

WTF are you talking about, 3V heads do not flow nearly as well as 4V heads.

What's funny is that I keep reading on all these message boards "3V heads flow nearly as well as 4V heads," or "3V heads outflow 4Vs heads." But the real kicker is that a set of SVO 2V heads outflow 3V heads above .550 lift.

3V heads are down by a good 40 cfm on the intake and 30 cfm on the exhaust side to a set of '03 Cobra heads, and the 4V head outflows the 3V head at every lift point from .050" to beyond .600" lift. With porting the gap only gets bigger.

Funny how one apples to oranges test performed by Kenne Bell turns into the 3V magically responding better to boost. I hope you people do realize that test compared dyno graphs from years apart (tuning is always progressing), the 3V had the superior blower and over a point more compression and still only made the about the same power.

Last edited:

Chris06GT

Established Member
I am not trying to get in this argument...Just wanting to say that there are a father/son couple on Corral...Dads car has a Whipple, 10.5 psi, 534rwhp...I'll dig up the video, his son's car Procharged H.O. kit made 499, I own an 06 GT, and I am currently working on a 302" stroker for mine, but if it were keeping my stock motor, definitely save some money and go blower or turbo....

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread