"How The SR-71 Blackbird Works," by Animagraffs

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Jake at Animagraffs has always made the most incredible 3D-modeled cutaway videos. His features on the steam and diesel-electric locomotives are amazing. But this time he has totally outdone himself. This video is almost an hour long, and it's got more info on my favorite plane in one place than I had ever dreamed could be unclassified.

You can skip through the sections, if you like. I had to watch the engines and inlets, first.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Will definitely watch! Thanks for posting. I have always admired this plane.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
No...but i wanna
Same as what NASA used in fact the flight suits was the same as Gemini types with a few modifications. They said you could actually go to the moon and walk around with them as they was self sealed. The U2 /TR-1 fleet also uses them in their flights.

The thing that shocked me was you dare not put your hands on any of the glass windows in flight as the heat would fuse you to them then gradually would melt the glove right onto your hand and basically char it to a cinder!!!!!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Same as what NASA used in fact the flight suits was the same as Gemini types with a few modifications. They said you could actually go to the moon and walk around with them as they was self sealed. The U2 /TR-1 fleet also uses them in their flights.

The thing that shocked me was you dare not put your hands on any of the glass windows in flight as the heat would fuse you to them then gradually would melt the glove right onto your hand and basically char it to a cinder!!!!!

That i knew...speed gets hot!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The start carts with "two muscle car engines side by side with no mufflers" used to start the Blackbird was a surprise fact in the video. That is pretty cool!

Awesome video to watch. Truly!

Silverstrike

Established Member
The start carts with "two muscle car engines side by side with no mufflers" used to start the Blackbird was a surprise fact in the video. That is pretty cool!

Awesome video to watch. Truly!
Buick 401 nailheads then I think they used Chevy 454's in the last 10 years of service as parts for the Buicks was getting hard to come by.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
This was the coolest aircraft growing up no doubt. Crazy to think this is 1950's technology. Great video!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Buick 401 nailheads then I think they used Chevy 454's in the last 10 years of service as parts for the Buicks was getting hard to come by.

I thought they went to an 440 rocket...cant remember lol

I know for sure the AG330 was a buick 401 though lol

Edit...quick search...yup 454

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I saw that on my YouTube last night but didn't have a chance to watch it. I definitely will. I recently watched a video that went through both cockpits. It's crazy to think they used a navigation system that was based on the stars.

Silverstrike

Established Member
Other little neat fact you had to be married to even be considered to be included for crew on the SR-71 as it would be very highly unlikely you would be tempted to defect with said wonder plane to a foreign nation.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
While buying titanium from Russia, the country the plane was built to spy on. Crazy what Kelly Johnson and his team(s) did.

Absolutely awe inspiring

Silverstrike

Established Member
While buying titanium from Russia, the country the plane was built to spy on. Crazy what Kelly Johnson and his team(s) did.

Absolutely awe inspiring
There was around 20 dummy companies that the CIA created in the late 50's two that I know about was one out of Split Yugoslavia as a deep sea rescue and exploratory services and another one out of Prague Czechoslovakia as a tunneling and mining firm. The one in Prague was totally unbelievable it only involved a 2 room studio apartment with just a desk, chair, and phone with a CIA woman and man as secretary and president/ overseer of said company. So they put out feelers to the in country Soviet embassy wanting to buy said titanium for drilling and so called deep sea submersible vehicles and so the Soviets bit and that was how some of the titanium was acquired. I think the CIA was able to almost get 200 tons by these so called dummy plant companies in the 4 years of operations 1958 to 1962.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Watched it, loved it.

The J58 is a work of art and I love that they used a start cart with two muscle car engines to start it.

Also had no idea it was designed to be as stealthy as it was with its composite materials and edges.

Users who are viewing this thread