HOW ONE PIECE OF DUCT TAPE IMPROVED HANDLING AND EFFICIENCY IN NEW FORD MUSTANG

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
1507643541236.jpg

Ford engineers Mike Del Zio, left, and Jonathan Gesek use tape to modify the grille of the 2018 Mustang to reduce lift and create a better-handling car.

In the data-driven, computer-monitored world of vehicle testing, sometimes there is no replacing the human touch. Ford engineers Jonathan Gesek and Mike Del Zio are proof that both the objective and subjective remain integral parts of car development.

After driving a high-speed lap at the test track in a prototype Mustang, Del Zio, a vehicle dynamics engineer – the objective one – reported that despite wind tunnel numbers that would indicate otherwise, the car wasn’t responding around corners to his satisfaction. Gesek, an aerodynamics engineer – the subjective one – had a quick solution.

Gesek applied a simple strip of duct tape over the lower gap of the grille. The goal was to reduce what is known as front-end lift. Del Zio re-tested the car, paying attention to the vehicle’s response when cornering at high speed. The result: a better-handling car and a modified grille.

“That little strip of tape made all the difference,” Del Zio said. “The key to the subjective is confidence. At the end of a straightaway, what confidence do you have in being able to brake and make a turn? Things start to come up fast at 155 miles an hour.”

In recent years, Gesek and Del Zio devoted hundreds of hours to improving the aerodynamic performance of the new 2018 Mustang, helping maintain or improve upon EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings over current models by up to 5.6 percent.

Front-end styling changes include a lowered nose, a larger front splitter that adds downforce and helps keep the front end planted to the ground, and a rocker shield that allows air to flow better underneath the car.

Active grille shutters are standard across the lineup on non-Performance Pack-equipped vehicles, reducing drag at higher speeds by completely closing off the grille, sending air over and around the car instead of into the engine compartment.

The changes improve aerodynamics by reducing drag (by up to 3 percent on the EcoBoost® model) and improve performance by helping Mustang keep a better grip on the road.

mustang-chart.png

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I always find it interesting when "solutions" like this are found using such unlikely test methods. Pretty cool!

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Will this be a dealer mod or will we have to find a shop to do the work? Does it have to be Motorcraft duct tape or does one of our vendors have a different type? If I was to use off the shelf tape, what color does it have to be to get the best results?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
So all the mpg's improved, except the manual trans GT. Why? I think there is too many variables in that equation. Autos have a revised trans 10spd vs 6spd All engines got a bump in hp. I would've expected a bigger jump in the autos due to the better efficiency of the 10spd auto.

AAG

Established Member
So all the mpg's improved, except the manual trans GT. Why? I think there is too many variables in that equation. Autos have a revised trans 10spd vs 6spd All engines got a bump in hp. I would've expected a bigger jump in the autos due to the better efficiency of the 10spd auto.

The 10 speed makes very little mpg difference. Heck, even when the F-150 dropped 500-700 pounds and then added the 10 speed, it made very little difference compared to the previous generation F150.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The 10 speed makes very little mpg difference. Heck, even when the F-150 dropped 500-700 pounds and then added the 10 speed, it made very little difference compared to the previous generation F150.

That's just strange. You'd think there would be a large mpg impact due to less weight and better gearing in the 10spd. Maybe due to GM? I know my CTSV gets terrible gas mileage, about 5-6 worse than my Hellcat.

jshen

Established Member
I was expecting to see a photo of a couple in the car with duct tape over the mouth of the passenger seat occupant..My bad......

AAG

Established Member
That's just strange. You'd think there would be a large mpg impact due to less weight and better gearing in the 10spd. Maybe due to GM? I know my CTSV gets terrible gas mileage, about 5-6 worse than my Hellcat.

I thought so as well. The '18 5.0 now with a 10 speed, direct injection, and the huge weight loss only gets about 2 mpg better than a '14 F150. They haven't added cylinder deactivation like GM and Ram have. Maybe that would make a difference on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread