How much value does a drilled bumper destroy?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I was just looking at some used cars and was just wondering how much value do you guys feel is lost by drilling the front bumper for a plate?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It depends on how anal retentive/ocd you are I guess. If I could get some color matched plugs to throw in the holes that would probably good enough in most cases. If the car was otherwise what I was looking for at a reasonable price I wouldn't sweat it much personally

I'm assuming you arent talking about a show car or something rare

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I would say it definitely takes a slight bit of value away from the car but if the car is coming from somewhere like where I live and the state mandates a front plate I don't think there's really much you can do about that. A dealership might take something off the selling price of a used car, but I doubt it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I dont think it should affect the value, but if it did then I would say no more than $400-500 which is about what it would cost to have it fixed.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
My local Ford dealer drills holes in all bumpers and puts on license plate frames. Our state does not require a front plate, so I told them to stop. They keep right on going. I think there is a guy who meets the delivery truck at the dealership and he's standing there with his drill just waiting. LOL Only car that doesn't get the holes is the GT350. I told them I will never buy a car from them because of this practice. They are idiots...brand new GT's sitting on the lot with holes in the bumpers. SMH

Take a look: General | Ford Country LV

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I was just looking at some used cars and was just wondering how much value do you guys feel is lost by drilling the front bumper for a plate?
I feel like this should be an owner option, not something added by manufacturers or dealers. I personally do not want any holes for tags drilled into my bumper cover.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
My local Ford dealer drills holes in all bumpers and puts on license plate frames. Our state does not require a front plate, so I told them to stop. They keep right on going. I think there is a guy who meets the delivery truck at the dealership and he's standing there with his drill just waiting. LOL Only car that doesn't get the holes is the GT350. I told them I will never buy a car from them because of this practice. They are idiots...brand new GT's sitting on the lot with holes in the bumpers. SMH

Take a look: General | Ford Country LV
I wouldn't buy a car from them.

TimKonaGT500

Established Member
If you don't want to use the front bumper bracket, you should take that into consideration for what you are willing to pay for it. I wouldn't say that it hurts the value per-se, because if front plates are required in your state, then many buyers wouldn't see the drilled bumper as an issue.

There is a company that sells color matched plugs for most factory colors that you can use. I used them on a 2011 Charger I bought with good results.

08mojo

Established Member
It depends on the car. Regular, daily 'beater' probably doesn't make a difference. A nice car you take pride in, it will make a difference.

Recon

Established Member
I discriminate against ALL drilled bumpers. Will try my hardest to avoid, unless the deal is too good to pass up. Definitely lowers value for me.

Agreed. Still irritates me every time I see the bumper on my Mach 1.

Pick your poison.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
def. depends on the car. on a Terminator it would go from a buy to a pass if it had holes in the front bumper. other cars I wouldn't care at all if they had one. but some cars just don't have a spot for them and those would be a pass as well

Kiohtee

Established Member
I guess I'm just a prick/picky bastard, but I'll walk away from a car if it has a drilled bumper. Hate that shit.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Im hoping it helps with the resale of mine. Drove 2 years with no plate and just zip tied it on there after the wife got stopped by a state trooper.

Personally I couldn’t care one way or the other. Its a car at the end of the day and will depreciate and i will never get my money back out of it

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
I thought I was the only one. I would not buy a car will holes in the bumper. It’s a deal breaker. There are other cars out there that don’t have holes, so I just move on to the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackoyote

Established Member
If you live in a state that doesn't require front plates, I'd say the cost of a good filling and painting is the max value loss...if you live in a state that requires front bumpers, I wouldn't think twice about it.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I wouldn't buy a car from them.

My thoughts exactly. When I was shopping for my car, I immediately ruled out any car that had holes. When I take it in for service at the dealership (same one that drills holes in all bumpers) the guys there marvel at how good my car looks. I always make a snide remark about the fact that it doesn't have holes in the front bumper and they just shrug it off. No idea why they do this.

Machdup1

Established Member
I try and get license plate brackets that do not require me to drill the bumper.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
If I wanted the car, I'd buy it & negotiate the cost of new bumper cover/paint into the deal.
Keep the original, run the new one.
If I found THE car I was after, drilled bumper aside, it'd not make it a deal breaker for me.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The only value it affects is that to the enthusiast. John Q. Public doesn't notice or care.

If I'm flipping a car, license plate holes aren't changing what I'm paying and what I'm selling it for. I'm sure not reducing the price because a potential buyer doesn't care for it.

Users who are viewing this thread