How Much is Reasonable for an Engagement Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirraf

Established Member
I don't mean for this question to be tacky, but I am trying to get a sense of what guys are spending on rings these days. I am looking to buy something in the next few months, but I don't want to seem too cheap. What do you guys feel is a reasonable price range to pay for a ring?

sleek98

Established Member
I paid 7,500 for her ring, and another 2,000 on the wedding band.

She is a nurse so I wanted to do a custom ring that would not tear her gloves.

Honestly, spend what you feel comfortable with. Do NOT take a loan to pay for it. You can always upgrade it later if you feel like you want to.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
12081286_968886139821325_1720044218_n.jpg

Intervention302

Established Member
I don't mean for this question to be tacky, but I am trying to get a sense of what guys are spending on rings these days. I am looking to buy something in the next few months, but I don't want to seem too cheap. What do you guys feel is a reasonable price range to pay for a ring?

I spent $1400 on something small, yet "higher" quality.

I forget the exact specs, but it was above average color and clarity, just was only .44 karat.

To be fair, I/we signed a mortgage for our first house the exact same day I bought the ring haha.

So I figured better house, smaller ring would be the way to go. Plus, with the diamond upgrade policy, as long as I bring the ring back and spend more than I bought mine for, I'd get all of my money back

Rct851

Established Member
These always get good.

I wonder what forum the woman are on debating how much of their savings they are willing to part with for their husbands gift.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I spent a lot, I'm not going to say how much, (more than 3K), and we never got married. Got the ring back and I sold it in Boston at the Jewler's Building and got almost half of it back.
With that money I used it to help pay off the Roush. :)

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Without knowing what you make, this is hard to answer. $1500- 2000 will get a decent ring.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Don't go into to debt regardless of the amount. I have been married for nearly 20 yrs and my wife still talks about her ring. Go the extra mile.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I spent 1500-2000 on both bands but that was almost 10 years ago. My buddy spent 10k + on just the engagement ring and not a half year later she had him spending more on a bigger diamond etc. Nuys.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Go to a pawn shop that specializes in jewelry and has a jeweler onsite. Diamonds are diamonds. And the jeweler can custom make a setting. I spent right at 1k for a 3/4 karat diamond with custom setting. Done.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I've always heard a good way to budget this is 3 months pay. Now with that said I didn't spend that but spent way more than what most are posting here.

I was able to design the ring the way I wanted it and the quality of the diamond was much more important to me than anything else. I got more than a fair deal as a close family friend is our jeweler and at whatever point I feel I'd be able to make some money on the ring if we ever needed to.

All and all I spent around 4k for the engagement ring and the wedding band. It appraised for over 9k.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Paid 2k for my wifes band/setting. She used a diamond she got from her grandmother.

Opened ended question really. Depends on what you can afford or want to spend. I agree with others though about not taking out a loan to pay for it as it can always be upgraded later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread