How much do you think a Cobra is worth without a motor?

AaronK

Established Member
I've been thinking about selling my cobra without the motor.

Interior: 8 out of 10 (drivers seat has some wear, everything is perfect)
Exterior: 9 out of 10
Mileage: 120,000
It has new tires, 10.5 SVT wheels in the back, lowering springs, and some other minor mods.

What do you think a Mineral Gray 03 without a motor would sell for? I'm probably keeping the T-56 as well since it is completely built and not sure if it would really increase the value of the car much.

Thanks!

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
Rply

Well you have to think abouttotal car value let say it's worth 16 k with every thing motor and all. Used motor is worth 5k maybe and stock used trans would be 1k. So subtract that from total value 10 k. But youbhavr to find a buyer the hardest part. I buaght a Mach with blown trans and engine for 6k seeing it's a cobra I think u can get more

99 BIG RED

Established Member
I would say 6k and that's about your max. I think pictures would be the best thing to see. If its in perfect condition it could go for more.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I would agree with the other posters and say somewhere between 5-10k, depending on how accurate your assessment of the car's condition is. Problem is that a Cobra is not a "Cobra" with the drivetrain missing, it is essentially just a Mustang shell with a body kit, so finding the right buyer would be the hardest part. I would think selling the car complete would be the best bet, then just buy a crate engine (like Aluminator), or a used takeout drivetrain from a crashed Cobra if you plan to use the driveline for another project (which it seems like that is why you are asking;-)). I have actually contemplated this myself, but in my case, the car only has 15k miles on it, so it would be a total waste of a perfect car to "part it out", as well as losing too much value.

ChrisMustang

Established Member
Its basically worth a little bit more than its sum of parts. How much does a cobra, bumpers, hood, spoiler, rockers, mirrors, seats, guages, wheel, and anything else cobra specific go for? That would give you a general idea.

Ironhand

Banned
It would probably sell for about 6-7k. I paid 9 for mine without a motor and trans. But it only has 47k on the body and came with alot of parts.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
If you have the time and place, I would part out the shell. More money could be made.

Its pretty sad, but I think some of these cars (like mine) might be worth more dead than alive. I could be selling my '04 TR cobra. 99%stock with about ~92k miles.

I have the tranny out right now for a new clutch. The IRS bushings need replacing, it needs new tires and the right side scoop got scraped up by some @$$ in traffic last year.

By the time I get the clutch/tranny back in, but new tires and get the body fixed, I probably won't want to sell it. I think it would probably bring about $18k based on local sales I have been watching. FWIW.

The other option is to sell my '67 vert, which I don't really want to part with either.. :cryying:

stang910

Established Member
I'd say 5k. I got mine with a blown engine for 8k and 52,000 miles with everything included.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I doubt you would see over $3k for the car with out the motor.

A few have sold for less than $1k as bare shells. Interior and suspension dont add $5k value to a car.

$1k shell +$1K interior + $1k in suspension give or take a few hundred here and there.

The car is worthless as a roller/shell. Not to mention a very limited market at a roller/shell over $5k. Who wants to buy a car for $5k+ that still needs a motor and trans?

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
The car is worthless as a roller/shell. Not to mention a very limited market at a roller/shell over $5k. Who wants to buy a car for $5k+ that still needs a motor and trans?

It might just be an investment for the right person.

Back in the late 80's I passed up two opportunities to pick up a '67 GT350 and a GT500 shells for under 1k. I think we would all agree that those would have been good investments as a base to build a highly collectable car.

IMHO, it all comes down to the long term collectibility of the Terminators. My '04 TR Cobra was purchased new (by me) in October of '04, and was probably one of the last SVT cars built. Based on the current collector value of the old Shelby, Boss and SCJ cars, I am optimistic that the 03/04 Cobra will hold up in value over the years.

It would be sad to see a good vin# go to the crusher to enable a kit-car project. What was the OP's project anyway?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
It might just be an investment for the right person.

Back in the late 80's I passed up two opportunities to pick up a '67 GT350 and a GT500 shells for under 1k. I think we would all agree that those would have been good investments as a base to build a highly collectable car.

IMHO, it all comes down to the long term collectibility of the Terminators. My '04 TR Cobra was purchased new (by me) in October of '04, and was probably one of the last SVT cars built. Based on the current collector value of the old Shelby, Boss and SCJ cars, I am optimistic that the 03/04 Cobra will hold up in value over the years.

It would be sad to see a good vin# go to the crusher to enable a kit-car project. What was the OP's project anyway?

i agree. a terminator shell might not be worth more than a v-6 mustang shell to someone who's in it just for the short term and is just looking to get a running car.

but i guarantee you that in the future (or now) to a collector-type who's looking to restore a terminator, the vin that is attached to that shell will be worth a hell of a lot more money than anything else. you can never restore a cobra to a real a cobra without the vin.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
too many terminators were produced for them to be as rare as the gt500's

Rarity does always equate to collectibility. There were not that many CJ/Gran Torinos built either, but there not rolling off the stage at Barrett Jackon. Are they?

The market has totally changed since the 60/70's. Out of curiocity, I will look at the production #s for the 67/68 Gt 350/500s vs the 03/04 Cobras. I know there were about 350,000 total mustangs produced in '67. just not sure about the shelbys.

It is the demand that really drives the collectability and value. The pricing on the 67/68 cars did not start to take off until the "Gone In 60 seconds" atrocity hit the big screen. (I hated that movie FWIW).

Who knows what will impact the long term demand for the Terminators. They are a very unique animal. IMO, the crown jewel of the fox-body platform. If the shelby name did not carry soo much weight, they would pobably already be worth more.

Users who are viewing this thread