How much discretionary income do you have each month?

how much discretionary income do you have a month?

• $0-$500

Votes: 43 30.5%
  • $500-$1000

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • $1000-$1500

Votes: 25 17.7%
  • $1500-$3000

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • $3000-$5000

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • $5000+

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

96 cobra

Established Member
Around $1.5-2k/month, but the vast majority of it goes back into savings and then some extra back into the mortgage; no other cc/car/loan debt thankfully.

The small cost cutting measures really add up over the years.
E.g. no cell phone/cable since 2000 (using the work cell for emergencies & internet in place of TV), assuming $100 a month, adds up to $14k+

2000gtp1sc

Established Member
I understand how it works, it was more of just a curiosity thing.

Once again, i understand that, hence the "discretionary income" part. I was not as interested in how much people made but more how much money people allot themselves to spend on fun shit

For anyone who wanted to read the difference between disposable and discretionary. We all know WIKI is always right.

Disposable and discretionary income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey op! Just wanted to apologize for junking up your thread. I was having a crappy day and I guess I took it out on you! After reading through more responses to this thread, I gotta say, I'm quite surprised to see how many people actually do budget for spending money every month. It's a new concept for me and one that makes a lot of sense when you think about it. I guess I learned something here!

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Hey op! Just wanted to apologize for junking up your thread. I was having a crappy day and I guess I took it out on you! After reading through more responses to this thread, I gotta say, I'm quite surprised to see how many people actually do budget for spending money every month. It's a new concept for me and one that makes a lot of sense when you think about it. I guess I learned something here!

biggest man on SVTP right here:beer:

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member

lol, NP man.....i was not offended....:)

alex3610

Established Member
I need a new career...if I have more than 400 bucks left over every month I'd be amazed. Daily driver will be paid off in the next 6 months or so and that will free up $356 a month so hopefully I can actually start saving for once.

holtsch

Established Member
I voted over $5,000. Currently have about $11k disposable income each month. That will probably dip down to the $1,500 - 3,000 range next year though. Currently have no bills, but will be starting a new business so I expect the business to lose money or at best break even the first few years and I'll start giving my parents money each month to offset the bad economy and to pay their expenses/bills (thanks Obama).

I figured it also be important to mention I have other plans for my disposable income. Not sure if that would count against the disposable income. For instance, I plan on buying about 20k in upgrades to my car/suv over the next few months. So I guess if you consider what I anticipate spending my money on.....then for the next 2 months my disposable income is $0.

Last edited:

jleews6

Established Member
I devote all my time and money to being a dad. My wife and I could have allot of things or have allot of money saved but we have learned that life can be short (we almost lost our son to cancer) so we do everything with our kids. I spend about 20K on my sons racing so that's most of our disposable income.

siLversLeigh

Established Member
So what I learned here so far is:

If you have kids you are dumb.
This site should really be called millionaireswhodrivemustangs.com
Military pays very well.

Thanks.

4vcobra

Established Member
So what I learned here so far is:

If you have kids you are dumb.
This site should really be called millionaireswhodrivemustangs.com
Military pays very well.

Thanks.

:lol:. My wife and I followed the Dave Ramsey plan a few years ago and became dept free, besides the house which freed up about 2,000+ a month. Our house is ran like a business with budgets and budget meetings, hard to get used to at first but well worth it now.

Kiohtee

Established Member
You consider that rich?

Me personally, considers $60k a year in discretionary income pretty wealthy, especially in this economy.

I'd be thrilled to say I have $5,000 a month in disposable income. :rockon:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Me personally, considers $60k a year in discretionary income pretty wealthy, especially in this economy.

I'd be thrilled to say I have $5,000 a month in disposable income. :rockon:

yep, I think anything over $2000 per month free and your pretty well off provided your not counting on a ton of overtime to achieve it.

Users who are viewing this thread