How much discretionary income do you have each month?

how much discretionary income do you have a month?

• $0-$500

Votes: 43 30.5%
  • $500-$1000

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • $1000-$1500

Votes: 25 17.7%
  • $1500-$3000

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • $3000-$5000

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • $5000+

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Mine is highly dependent on how much overtime I get at work, but my average is 16 hours a pay period. combine that with my total bills per month ($500 or so since I live in an apartment with a roommate and don't have a car payment) And I'm looking at $4.5g's. I put back a grand into my savings account and then another 500 into a retirement account and it leaves me with about $3g's to play with. Which I blow handily on alcohol, guns, and trips all over the place.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
none, if you owe anyone money including the bank its not discretionary in my eyes. I try not to spend anything more than absolutely have to

Then I was correct. I'm saving for a house, but at the moment have zero debt of any sort, so after my monthly bills the $1500-300 is discretionary.

jasil

Established Member
4 kids and 1 of those in college.......what money.......lol.

The wife and I are fortunate!! We know a few people much wealthier and alot of people much poorer.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
-500~700 cause I blew all my money when I was young. Now I'm paying it all back. My credit score is good though. Sheesh, that's cause I make ok paper.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
After all bills are paid, gas and groceries accounted for, right at $2000 or so. We try to throw a good chunk of that into a cash savings but there's always that next car mod, gun, or other toy on the mind though. :rolling:

Dragu1a

Established Member
hardly anything...i feel like i'm living paycheck to paycheck, but that's bc when i step back and look at it i blow $ on a bunch of stupid shit every month.

i have a bunch of guns that i don't need and find myself constantly looking for new ones. i'm still paying on shit for the car, golfing, bowling, expensive gym membership when there's a cheaper one down the road plus i have tapout xt and p90x at home, eating out bc i'm too lazy to cook at home....i need to sit down and make out a budget.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
My wife and I both work full time, I average about 42-45hr/week(weekends always off) and my wife gets between 40-48hrs/week. We too were smart enough to not have kids, rather we have 2 dogs that keep us company. After ALL of our expenses, including date, food, gas, etc, we have between $1000-$1500/month depending how many hours we choose to work. I like to think we are pretty well off, once we get our savings built back up we'll be paying off the little bit of CC debt we have(about $1400) and then were going to be saving up to pay off my wifes Honda this winter, after all that we'll be in the green closer to $2000/month. All while being able to get my blower after taxes next year:rockon:

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
I hate to be an ass, but isn't this thread essentially just a "how rich are you" one? I mean everyone's situation is different so comparing how much extra money one has after the bills are paid accomplishes what exactly?

If the op is wondering how people afford all their "toys", it really just comes down to common sense. Income outweighs expenses. Duh!

The less fortunate either have to wait longer to save up funds for toys, or borrow the money, or steal it. Pretty simple.

I understand how it works, it was more of just a curiosity thing.

This. You can have a mediocre salary but not waste you money and have more left over than someone bringing in 6 figures and blowing their money on dumb shit.

Once again, i understand that, hence the "discretionary income" part. I was not as interested in how much people made but more how much money people allot themselves to spend on fun shit

For anyone who wanted to read the difference between disposable and discretionary. We all know WIKI is always right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discretionary_income

Last edited:

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Well seeing that I'm rich, good looking, and hung, I voted 5k plus :coolman:
NAH..... This is a mustang forum, I make a lot, but I spend a lot! (pat Ewing)

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Well seeing that I'm rich, good looking, and hung, I voted 5k plus :coolman:
NAH..... This is a mustang forum, I make a lot, but I spend a lot! (pat Ewing)

You consider that rich?

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I have around $1000 left over each month after bills and such. Not too bad but I always double bills up or have to fix something on my vehicles or just replace something that needs to be replaced.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
$4.17 if the wife doesn't search my cupholder.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
This thread makes me think I need to do a better job of tracking my spending. I spend less than 100 monthly on stuff I don't need, but I also don't think about how much I need day to day. I just buy what I want.

Fuerza

Established Member
I'd say about 1500 but, I admit I blow a lot of cash. My biggest money waster is easily Cable TV, Internet, Smart Phones, going out to eat, trips to the movies. I have a tendency to spend first and pay off fast, versus save first then spend. :shrug:

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
without looking 0-5. it could be more but I'm paying 4-5 times what I need to be on my student loans. in a couple weeks it'll be 5-1 because I have a pay raise coming and in a year it should be pushing 2k

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I clicked 0-$500 but it really depends. I have no clue. I'm a bartender, so by the end of the night I leave with anywhere from $80-250 during normal weeks and work 6 nights a week. My bills are $250/week. Bad weeks I have about $200 extra, great weeks, well over $1000. Plus I get a paycheck. One of my bar jobs its about $50 every two weeks and the other about $100. Plus what I leave with is minus my bar tab, so depending on how frisky I am that night, my bar tab is between $10-$50.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
i was in the 500-1k mark but i got orders to korea and took huge pay cut, almost 1500 a month that is bah/bas which i dont need here but it was still nice to have. i could save alot if it wsnt for energy drinks im at 2 a day so almost 60 a month there. ive got soem things im going to work on while im here

Last edited:

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
i was in the 500-1k mark but i got orders to korea and took huge pay cut, almost 1500 a month that is bah/bas which i dont need here but it was still nice to have. i could save alot if it wsnt for energy drinks im at 2 a day so almost 60 a month there. ive got soem things im going to work on while im here
sounds like when I moved from MS to CA

Users who are viewing this thread