How much discretionary income do you have each month?

how much discretionary income do you have a month?

• $0-$500

Votes: 43 30.5%
  • $500-$1000

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • $1000-$1500

Votes: 25 17.7%
  • $1500-$3000

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • $3000-$5000

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • $5000+

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
So i was looking over my budget recently and i was trying to figure out how much discretionary income i have. It turns out it really is not that much. I think this is a much more relevant question than how much you make. i am curious how some of these guys afford so many toys.

I guess having 4 kids and one income is the wrong way to do it. :rolling:

Last edited:

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I marked less than 500, but I'm not sure. I've got a part time business that brings me about 100-200 a week for 3 or 4 hours every few weeks, but otherwise I'm a full-time student that leeches off my upper-middle class moter. Aside from maybe spending $100 or less a month on shit for myself, all my money goes to gas, food, and treating my long-time girlfriend. I spent about 1500 on the sc conversion, supporting mods, and a 255lb fuel pump over the winter, but that kinda spending is rare for me. Once a week or so I'll buy a trivial cheap toy and that's considered a treat. I'm poor.... lol

Off the records, I probably net 10-15k a year. Shameful. haha

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
0-500 for now, as i am saving for a new roof for my casa. if i wasnt saving, id have alot more to save for the lightning motor build. i do allow myself 225 bucks a week for going out to eat, clubbing and drinking in my budget. weekly fun money had its own checking account too.

best way ive found to save money is direct deposit to 2 banks, have both checking and savings. then chose how to splite the money for your needs and wants. when the weekly fun account grows too much i simply transfer it to savings and forget about it.

Majck123

Established Member
Personally I ran into a ton of luck with my job. I'm not married and have not been dumb enough to have a kid. I have two car payments, a motorcycle and two ATVs as well as insurance for everything. I'm about to turn 21 by the way. Without having a wife or kids is what gives me the free time to work plenty of overtime and thats how I cushion my pockets.

I've seen how it can suck to watch other people waste money on their hobbies like cars. But do your kids have a good life and are you putting away for your own retirement? That would be my main concern

Kiohtee

Established Member
The fiance and I have about $1,200 a month leftover after all the essentials. We're off to a pretty good start I'd say.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
We live off my income and my wife works part time.. Each month after bills I have about 1500 in play money so to speak.. But something always comes up.. Or I pay down 1 more bill. My goal is to pay off my Mazda by the end of summer, and be debt free by the end of the year.. It should happen..

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
Personally I ran into a ton of luck with my job. I'm not married and have not been dumb enough to have a kid. I have two car payments, a motorcycle and two ATVs as well as insurance for everything. I'm about to turn 21 by the way. Without having a wife or kids is what gives me the free time to work plenty of overtime and thats how I cushion my pockets.

I've seen how it can suck to watch other people waste money on their hobbies like cars. But do your kids have a good life and are you putting away for your own retirement? That would be my main concern

Hence the reason I don't have much. The kids an wife come before me...believe me I wish I could afford a 2013 GT500 :)

In due time for us, once the kids go to school my wife will be able to work and that will free things up big time. Daycare for 4 kids would kill me...it would be like $2000.00 a month.

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
We live off my income and my wife works part time.. Each month after bills I have about 1500 in play money so to speak.. But something always comes up.. Or I pay down 1 more bill. My goal is to pay off my Mazda by the end of summer, and be debt free by the end of the year.. It should happen..

Nice! Are you an E or O? I am an E-6, so it isn't terrible

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Nice! Are you an E or O? I am an E-6, so it isn't terrible

E5 with over 6yrs in.. It's not to bad. I'm testing for E6 in Nov. So I hope to god I make it.. If I do tack on another 300ish per month to that straight into savings. Alot of it goes into my retirement account though.. But I do have a good bit of money I can touch for my car.. I just like seeing that I have X amount of cash instead lol.

Oh and I have a 3yr old too lol.. But my work schedule is 1 on 3 off and I'm the LPO of my desk so I make the schedule.. And my wife makes her schedule at her work so no daycare ;)

Last edited:

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Between the wife and I we have roughly 1500$ left over each month after the bills are taken care of. It would be a bit more if we didn't put so much into our 401ks each month and my work offers a good employee stock purchase program that 5% of each check is sent to. We are younger and trying to make sure we set ourselves up for a nice carefree future.

Last

Established Member
I'm saving everything for a new business, so $0.00.

but you didn't make the poll only one vote, so I voted everything.

oldmodman

Established Member
I'm saving everything for a new business, so $0.00.

but you didn't make the poll only one vote, so I voted everything.

:lol:Same here.

Some months I have very little left lying around. This month has been very, very good. One stock went up quite a bit. Also helps to be pretty much retired, and single.:banana:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I would say I fall perfectly into the 1500-$3000 range as my income does change monthly. I do try to save it all. Some months I save more than others. This month I dropped $300 on some mods and worked less than normal. In July I"m taking a road trip so there goes about $600-700 probably. In August I'm taking like half the month off, so with bills, that's gonna be a neutral month.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Last year I had $3,000 a month, last year was the best out of the past 4, which have been pretty shitty to say the least. This year has not been so good, I'm lucky to see $500-$1,000. The first quarter was the worst, I was lucky to have $100 left over. Ever since Obama took the reigns the economy has been in the dumps.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
3-5K range.
Cars and insurance less than 1000.00. House maid/nanny 500 dollars a month. Son's daycare, 350 a month. Groceries and going out once a week 1000.00. International phone 150 a month. No gasoline bill, no utilities to include internet, no house payment. Pulling about 9K a month, no taxes.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what I voted for is a lot less than what I have left over after my bills every month but Im not counting the money that automatically goes into my savings every week or all my year end bonus money that goes into savings/IRA etc

Misquamarauder

Established Member
I get $3200 a month for expenses. My room costs $1260 a month. If I don't get lazy and cook my meals, I can do okay on extras. I tend to golf a lot while on the road, so that takes a big chunk. I give my wife my payroll check, and she manages to to put quite a bit aside as well. I've got it pretty good.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
About $2200 which is also about how much I have in bills per month. Essentially one of my two paychecks covers all of my bills.

I'm in the middle of paying down some debt though. I'll probably start adding an extra grand to one of my monthly bills until it disappears.

Users who are viewing this thread