How Much Can It Handle?

THE LIRA

Established Member
Back home in San Antonio,Texas TIME SERVED!!USMC
Hello all I am not an 03 Cobra owner yet but I do own a 97 Cobra and a 91 coupe. I was wondering how much HP can a stock block, internals, handle on an 03? I am looking forward to buying an 03 in the future but I figure if I have a Cobra already will it be more cost effective to stay with wehat I got now. This is what the 97 has on it right now: :rockon:
Sony Xplod stereo w/ mach 460
-Autometer ultra lite gages 3 under stereo
-oil temp
-trans temp
-air fuel
-Hurst short throw shifter w/white hurst knob
-MSD dis 4 box with a rev limiter switch
-MSD wires
-MSD shift light
-MSD tach adapter
-MSD coil packs
-NOS system 150 wet shot have pills for 135 shot
-NOS purge valve
-pulleys
-gator back belt
-new tensioner pulley
-MAC long tube headers
-MAC h pipe
-MAC cat back exhaust 3.5 in tips
-Densecharger cold air kit
-green air filter DONE!
-upper & lower control arms Mustang Extreme
-3.73 gears Ford Motor sport
-Trick Flow rear end support cover
-aluminum drive shaft
-sub frame connectors welded in
-King Cobra clutch
-FMS lowering springs
-Boyd Coddington smoothie 2s 18x10.5 rear 18x9.5 front
-Baer 13" drilled and slotted Eradispeed rotors front
-FMS 11" drilled & slotted rotors rear
-Forged internals
-TR6 plugs -EGR valve
-31 Spline Moser axles
I am going to pro-turbocharge :burn: it in the near future. What do you all think? Should I buy an 03 anyway or will the Cobra I have now hold up to a SS,03 Cobra, Viper. How much do you think I will be pushing with a 81mm turbo? Sorry for the book.
Thanks in advance,
Tony

mad03bom

mad03bom
Established Member
By yourself an 03 or 04 you will be happy camper. Trust me i know, use to have 97 Cobra also you name i had every basic bolt ons with p1sc intercooled. Best hp i got out of it was 378hp 356tq. Thats with the famous MIKE MURILLO tuning it. Yeah i forgot to say MIKE MURILLO :rockon:

BWH2003

Established Member
For everything I have read if you can keep the motor cool then the hp numbers are quite high. Take care of the heat problem and your golden. Problem with is heat goes up with higher horsepower due to usually more boost pressure.

TRBO VNM

I will be shooting for 800 hp/tq on my next dyno visit. but those will be dyno numbers only.

track I plan to run about 650-700rwhp and 700-750rwtq. this is all on the stock long block. Street I run 500-600rwhp and 500-650rwtq depending on the boost I put through it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You have to decide how much power you want to make. If you're happy with your setup right now, looking at all the money you've put into it, I'd keep it. The '03/'04 has a lot more potential of course. You can easily make 500-530rwhp with the basic mods and a ported Eaton blower. Or 550-575rwhp with basic mods and a Whipple or Kenne Bell blower to replace the Eaton (with no internal mods). The pistons will be a weak point after that, so from north of 575 you'll need to make some changes to the internals. If you want to make more than 575rwhp on a Terminator you will be wise to have your motor built by a good shop as many have done here.

RiffRaff04

Established Member
Just look around the site a bit and you will see the numbers that people are making with their cobras. I do also agree with cobrabob said about the 575 range.

Blaine

Established Member
The 03/04 Cobra motors have problems to when they hit high HP numbers. Heads and Pistons.

Depends on what body style you like. :shrug:

BUT, for the money you will spend switching cars to reach a similiar HP level you can purchase a built motor for you vehicle which will handle over 1,000 HP+ for any poweradder your heart desires and even throw in a built T56. :read: (For your target HP level you should go with the above)

Or you will spend thousands and thousands to buy a 03/04 Cobra and then build it to handle that power level safely. (See CobraBobs reply)

Plus you will have to upgrade to level 5 axles, upgrade the input shaft on the T56, injectors, MAF, Boost a pump, ............. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

THE LIRA

Established Member
Thank you all for your comments. I really like the 03 and the 97 Cobra body styles but I think Blaine is the most logical on the money thing. I love the whine of the KB and Steggy ported blowers. I also like that blow off valve on the turbos. I cannot decide! I guess I am just going to have to get an 03 as well and keep both Cobras. How much HP do you think the stock block will make/handle with .20 over bore on the block, forged internals, port and polish of the heads, stock cams N/A? With a 150 shot of the good stuff?
Thanks,
Tony

THE LIRA

Established Member
On the 97 Cobra that is?

Oh I am selling my coupe so I can purchase an 03 /04 Cobra. I have seen the light and have talked it over with the wife . She said as long as I sell the coupe and let her drive the 97 once in a while i am golden. I have a wonderful wife!! :)

whippleblown03

Established Member
THE LIRA said:
On the 97 Cobra that is?

Oh I am selling my coupe so I can purchase an 03 /04 Cobra. I have seen the light and have talked it over with the wife . She said as long as I sell the coupe and let her drive the 97 once in a while i am golden. I have a wonderful wife!! :)

She is a keeper! now go spend some money ! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread