how much boost can we run on this motor with the boss rods and pistons???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
With proper tuning I expect these engines to perform similarly to the Boss engine, even without the forged pistons.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The new engines have a really narrow top ring in them close to the top and are not very boost friendly as far as durability goes. If your talking 6-9 psi with propper tuning you will be fine. If your looking to push things a piston rod upgrade is a must along with some other components.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Already have headers together.

received_273623362848611.jpg

received_273623366181944.jpg

Using the 62mm turbos off my 14gt hellion setup(going 67's on it).

All the rest of the parts are already in or on their way. Doing a simple build with this one, Turbo kit, fuel pumps/injectors, half shafts, circle d torque converter, billet oil pump gears and a few other misc things.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
The new engines have a really narrow top ring in them close to the top and are not very boost friendly as far as durability goes. If your talking 6-9 psi with propper tuning you will be fine. If your looking to push things a piston rod upgrade is a must along with some other components.

Is the distance from piston face any less than the 11-14 5.0's?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We agree with Livernois, 7-10 psi would be all we would suggest, beyond this you are risking a $1200 block and $3000 heads, if you have any plans to go beyond 10 psi a New Forged shorblock from MMR or Livernois would be suggested, we have them for the 2015 starting at $3799.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Gotta love emissions pistons.

BMR Tech

MMR / Livernois

When you describe the ring characteristics on the new 15+ engines, are they similar to the 11-14's?

Is it safe to assume, that although the 11-14 engines aren't the best and most reliable for boost applications - they (11-14) are better than the 15 engine (rings/pistons) ?

Thanks!

REDS197

Established Member
What is the difference in the pistons from 14 to 15? I would be very interested to see diagrams of each before I put 15psi in the new car.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
What is the difference in the pistons from 14 to 15? I would be very interested to see diagrams of each before I put 15psi in the new car.

I'm sure u understand the whole process, 15lbs seems like built motor and reinforced block territory. It seems the 15+ blocks also are lame ducks just like the 11-14 blocks from what I've heard. As time goes on we learn more and more, honestly the awesom rods suck if the Pistons are going to be weaker than last gen stuff. :/

REDS197

Established Member
I'm sure u understand the whole process, 15lbs seems like built motor and reinforced block territory. It seems the 15+ blocks also are lame ducks just like the 11-14 blocks from what I've heard. As time goes on we learn more and more, honestly the awesom rods suck if the Pistons are going to be weaker than last gen stuff. :/

15 psi with all variables is 800-850ish. This is where I hope to be. My 13 ran 11 psi and E85 for 6000 miles before I built it and went twin turbo. You are right about the rods. Why give us 900hp capable rods and a shitty piston. If the pistons are even slightly better than stock 13 pistons I will risk the boost!

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
15 psi with all variables is 800-850ish. This is where I hope to be. My 13 ran 11 psi and E85 for 6000 miles before I built it and went twin turbo. You are right about the rods. Why give us 900hp capable rods and a shitty piston. If the pistons are even slightly better than stock 13 pistons I will risk the boost!

post pics when it grenades :pop:

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
When you say "the new engines," are you specifically talking about the ones in the '15 Mustang, or all of the Coyote 5.0s in general, from '11-'15?

Users who are viewing this thread