How many of you have shift lights?

What type of shift light

• Raptor

Votes: 209 44.8%
  • Autometer light with the plug in pill

Votes: 21 4.5%
  • Full 5" tach with shift light

Votes: 24 5.2%
  • None, but I wish I could turn off that yellow arrow!

Votes: 212 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleck 5

Established Member
I have hit my rev limiter on several occasions and I am worried that I am going to do some damage. After doing some research It appears that a large percentage of Cobra owners have the raptor shift light. I am leaning towards that light as it is cheap, easy to install, and is very stealth. I just wanted to see how many people have it. If any of you have a full 5" tach with shift light, please post pictures as I am still condidering the UPR tach bracket with the Autometer Indiglo 5" tach with light.

Last edited:

redsvtcobra

Established Member
For an even cheaper shift light, have the built in shift light that comes on right before 2000 rpm moved to 6300 rpm in a tune. :D

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Rapter here.
403Rapter_shift_light-med.jpg

micksnip

Established Member
rev limiter

Dudes and dudettes-Can you believe that when I took my 03 in (have an 04 now-love it-long story) for head tick, the mechanic said Ford could void you if they read a code that said rev limiter was hit!!!!!!! He also said the usual-signs of racing like rubber on the rear wheelwells. Finally, he said ford "disapproves" of open element air filter replacements, and could void the warranty if that caused anything. I know-to another dealer, but I didn't-I listened and learned that mother ford is in the business of voiding warranties, because warranty work is a PITA, and flat rate for the mechanic, and ford doesn't want any mods done-safe ones are catback(I have stingers) and enclosed air filter(I have Steeda). No midpipes, cats off, DRs, and I'm not sure of SFCs. Certainly no pulleys, chips, blower ports, NOS, and a host of other things. I feel like I'm going to be asked for a urine specimen next. On the issue of hitting the RPM ltr., however, back OFF immediately! I read it on the net(must be true), but there's a lean condition, and you know what happens if you keep on it w/a lean condition no matter the reason-right? At least for me-do what you want-if I hit the rev ltr, I'll back off and drive like an old geezer of 50, which I am. Any thoughts(aside from the ")(*)(&&&-WTF-hitting the rev ltr" I know-it has to be a reason for your malfunction. So, if I hit the RL, kept on it, ran lean, and did some damage, would they "void me"??? Micksnip

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Your choices suck. I got a shiftlight that doesn't fit into any of the choices you listed. I apologize for sounding harsh but what's the point of this poll anyways? Can we take it easy on all these damned polls now?

Fleck 5

Established Member
Kovachian,

I find it ironic that you aren't a big fan of polls, yet you opened this post knowing it had a poll and then posted anyway.

As far as having a spot to vote for other, I wasn't aware of any other shift lights.

What shift light do you have? Do you have any pictures?

It seems that in the results for every search I do for a shift light, everone has a raptor. I just wanted to see what percentage have them.

Fleck 5

Established Member
redsvtcobra said:
For an even cheaper shift light, have the built in shift light that comes on right before 2000 rpm moved to 6300 rpm in a tune. :D

I would like to do that but I do not want to risk my warranty as these cars have a lot of issues. The chip and tune is very tempting but these cars aren't exactly slow and in need of more power like some cars. On the other hand, it is hard to pass up the cheap horsepower you can get out of these beasts.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Well, I certainly can't profess my displeasure with polls with posting eh? Anyways, pictures of my shiftlight are on my webpage.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Go w/the raptor. Its electronic, so it's more accurate that your RPM guage. I haven't hit my rev limiter since. Best investment dollar for dollar I'm made yet!!

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
ddurnan said:
Heres a couple of pics of mine...Lunar 5" with shift light
DSC006232.jpg

nice setup, what color does the air/fuel guage turn when you gun it? is it worth getting, the lunar 5" tach looks very nice mounted there, is there any drilling involved w/ that mount? and is it really bright or the same as the instrument cluster glow at night w/ the lunar tach b/c the c2 tach is really bright , its kinda distracting but looks good too though.
and i heard that when you hit the rev. limiter it sends the computer a safe code to make it run rich but you can dissconnect your battery and it resets the computer back to normal is this true??

metaman

Established Member
Can you believe that when I took my 03 in (have an 04 now-love it-long story) for head tick, the mechanic said Ford could void you if they read a code that said rev limiter was hit!!!!!!! He also said the usual-signs of racing like rubber on the rear wheelwells. Finally, he said ford "disapproves" of open element air filter replacements, and could void the warranty if that caused anything.

The problem is that you where talking to the mechanic. By law ford has to prove that the modification that you did caused the problem being fixed under warranty. The open air filter element will not cause any problems unless it is installed improperly or something.

As far as them voiding the warranty for an indication that the rev limiter has been hit. There is no way they could do that. They set the rev limiter 500 rpm below the mechanical redline of the engine. You could bounce off of it all day and it would never hert the motor unless you blew out the diaphram in the FRPS and got fuel in the oil. Even then it would be fords fault for programing a rev limiter that cuts fuel instead of spark.

As far as rubber being in the wheel wells goes, as that would prove is that you turned off the traction control. Next time ask the service manager not the mechanic.

As far a racing the car voiding the warranty goes, racing is an organized competition. If you are just beating the s--t out of the car on the street, it is not racing. The SVT manual that comes with the car sais that if the car is used for COMPETITIVE racing that the warranty will be voided. That means that if you bracket race on the weekend and they somehow gain proof that you did it, they could void the warranty. But if you just went to a test and tune and ran the car down the track next to another person who happens to be testing their car as well, that is not a Racing Competition.

ddurnan

VET ETR
Established Member
Mr. Freeze said:
nice setup, what color does the air/fuel guage turn when you gun it? is it worth getting, the lunar 5" tach looks very nice mounted there, is there any drilling involved w/ that mount? and is it really bright or the same as the instrument cluster glow at night w/ the lunar tach b/c the c2 tach is really bright , its kinda distracting but looks good too though.
and i heard that when you hit the rev. limiter it sends the computer a safe code to make it run rich but you can dissconnect your battery and it resets the computer back to normal is this true??
The A/F reads green at WOT , but I plan on getting a wideband to replace that guage...As for the tach, www.uprproducts.com makes the bracket that uses the bolts that hold the a/c controls...The instructions say to also bolt it to the side of the dash. You don't see any of the bolts...

Bluedot_26

This Space For Rent
Established Member
metaman said:
As far a racing the car voiding the warranty goes, racing is an organized competition. If you are just beating the s--t out of the car on the street, it is not racing. The SVT manual that comes with the car sais that if the car is used for COMPETITIVE racing that the warranty will be voided. That means that if you bracket race on the weekend and they somehow gain proof that you did it, they could void the warranty. But if you just went to a test and tune and ran the car down the track next to another person who happens to be testing their car as well, that is not a Racing Competition.

In fact .. page 22 of my SVT Mustang Cobra suppliment gives me tips on what to do before operating the car at "high speeds". (wonder what Fords legal department defines as high-speed ... )

Page 24 mentions the warranty .. and while it says SVT does not recommend modifying or racing SVT vehicles ....

Repairs are not reimbursable under warranty when caused by:

Misuse of the vehicle (that's pretty subjective .. no ?) , driving over curbs (riiiiight, that must be for Bo and Luke Duke .. ?) racing (who .. me?) .... or using the vehicle as a stationary power source.

I'm guessing that last one has to do with a dyno .. and not me using it to power uncle Clem's windmill ... just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread