How Many Miles do you AVG. Per Year?

Live Wire

Established Member
7 years of ownership this past July. Got it with 36,600 and now at 39,700. That's an average of about 442 miles a year.

Not looking forward to 40k miles though. I dunno what the stigma is, but 40k just feels like a high mileage cobra. Wasn't an issue when I got it, just developed over time.

Rail1

Established Member
07 GT500 5k miles per year
03 Cobra 3k miles per year
One of the worst things you can do to a car is to let it sit.
Why own it if you are not going to drive it? :)

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
07 GT500 5k miles per year
03 Cobra 3k miles per year
One of the worst things you can do to a car is to let it sit.
Why own it if you are not going to drive it? :)

Plenty of collectors have cars that rarely if ever get driven. They didn’t buy them for the driving experience. Also, in regards to letting a vehicle sit, I have a 96 Cobra with 402 miles on it. That’s an average of 17 miles/year. It has absolutely zero issues... no leaks or driveability problems. I plan to drive it around the block and get it up to temp periodically. I have other cars I drive hard and have fun behind the wheel.

Rail1

Established Member
Plenty of collectors have cars that rarely if ever get driven. They didn’t buy them for the driving experience. Also, in regards to letting a vehicle sit, I have a 96 Cobra with 402 miles on it. That’s an average of 17 miles/year. It has absolutely zero issues... no leaks or driveability problems. I plan to drive it around the block and get it up to temp periodically. I have other cars I drive hard and have fun behind the wheel.
Again why own it if you do not drive it????? Give it time your problems will come

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
Bought mine 2 years ago,with 7800 miles on it. Turned 12000 this month, so 2000 a year. Thinking about moving south so I can drive her year round.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Bought new in September '03
Currently has 41,256 miles
Average of 2,750 miles/year
Still has original Motorcraft battery using Battery Tender Plus!

Goose17

Established Member
Again why own it if you do not drive it????? Give it time your problems will come

That car to me is art on wheels. I just enjoy having it. As for “giving it time,” how much time do I have to give it? It’s already 23 years old and has zero issues. I just changed the oil and coolant. Both were clean.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
@Goose17 your car who’s cares is how I see it. I didn’t and won’t even hit 1k miles in my CO Cobra or Fox this year normally that’s what I try to go for for but had other stuff come up.

Some people daily drive or put x amount of miles some hardly any. Your car your choice the way I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
@Goose17 your car who’s cares is how I see it. I didn’t and won’t even hit 1k miles in my CO Cobra or Fox this year normally that’s what I try to go for for but had other stuff come up.

Some people daily drive or put x amount of miles some hardly any. Your car your choice the way I see it.

On another forum I'm on a guy bought a 2014 and then traded it in when the S550's came out with 600 miles on it. People gave him a hard time, but it's his money.

Goose17

Established Member
On another forum I'm on a guy bought a 2014 and then traded it in when the S550's came out with 600 miles on it. People gave him a hard time, but it's his money.

Like mentioned... it’s his car, no need to give him grief over his decision on how to use it.

From a collector standpoint though, it may not have been good decisions all the way around... I don’t consider the 07-14 GT500 to be a collector car. Too many were made for too many years. Yes, they got better through the years, but there are a bunch for sale at any given moment, which keeps driving prices down. So with the example above, the guy bought a car, didn’t get to enjoy it much on the road and then traded it in for most likely a considerable loss on a new Mustang that will depreciate even more quickly.

I get the desire to have the newest toy, but don’t keep it sitting in the garage unused if that is your direction. You never get either of the pluses of driving enjoyment or an appreciating asset.

The Terminators are far more of a collector car than the GT500. The 03/04s were a 2-year only car and the years before and after were nothing like them. Plus you can get one year only specialty versions like 10th Anniversary and Mystichrome that are even more collectible. With the Terminators, it’s nice to have a somewhat modern toy that you can play with occasionally and see the value appreciating along the way.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Like mentioned... it’s his car, no need to give him grief over his decision on how to use it.

From a collector standpoint though, it may not have been good decisions all the way around... I don’t consider the 07-14 GT500 to be a collector car. Too many were made for too many years. Yes, they got better through the years, but there are a bunch for sale at any given moment, which keeps driving prices down. So with the example above, the guy bought a car, didn’t get to enjoy it much on the road and then traded it in for most likely a considerable loss on a new Mustang that will depreciate even more quickly.

I get the desire to have the newest toy, but don’t keep it sitting in the garage unused if that is your direction. You never get either of the pluses of driving enjoyment or an appreciating asset.

The Terminators are far more of a collector car than the GT500. The 03/04s were a 2-year only car and the years before and after were nothing like them. Plus you can get one year only specialty versions like 10th Anniversary and Mystichrome that are even more collectible. With the Terminators, it’s nice to have a somewhat modern toy that you can play with occasionally and see the value appreciating along the way.

I agree except I do think the 13-14 GT500 will be a collectible down the road. Carrol supposedly had some what of a role in it before he died. But we will see.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

I wouldn’t give him a hard time for the mileage but an S-550 GT will depreciate way more if he had a Shelby.

HPLouis

Established Member
You know, to piggy back off of what Goose17 is saying, I enjoy watching the car sit versus driving it. This is my second Mystichrome, I had a vert and now a coupe. I love the shape of it and the paint. Also, it's a car I've always wanted so now I have it. I do feel that it's "art on wheels". I can't tell you how many times I just take a walk out to the garage and just sit and stare at it.

I have a Pathfinder, Lexus and BMW that I beat on. I think the Lexus and BMW are better driver's car than the Terminator. I put the miles on those (and the Pathfinder in the winter) and just take the Mystichrome out for a little drive once in a while, but I get more enjoyment out of just seeing it. I'm not a collector, the car has too many miles on it to be considered a collectable, but I just enjoy the car enough the way it is.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

I'm with you Goose. I purchased my Roush in Nov of 2002. It has around 7600 miles on it today. It normally sits under a car cover with a battery tender and Stabil in the fuel tank. I go out and start it maybe once every 6 months. I do not necessarily drive it or move it. It runs fine and I have zero issues and no leaks.

Everyone owns things for different reason. I get a car is a car and is meant to be driven. However, most people purchase a car just for transportation and could care less about it (hell, some people put all their crap in the garage and then let their $25,000.00 car sit outside). Others purchase a car because they like the way it looks or sounds and they care about it and want to preserve it. This is a debate that will NEVER end on these car forums.

My Dad is ALWAYS on my case about letting my cars sit. Says seals will go bad, tires will dry rot, fuel will go bad yadda yadda yadda. Maybe during his time those things were true, but I feel with the new technology in chemicals and compounds you do not NEED to drive your car as often as before. Goose's 96 Cobra is a perfect example. 23 years old, 402 miles and zero issues. I feel confident letting my cars sit without fear of problems down the line............

01yellercobra

Established Member
I agree except I do think the 13-14 GT500 will be a collectible down the road. Carrol supposedly had some what of a role in it before he died. But we will see.

The 2014 he was just a GT. He enjoyed modding it and keeping it clean.

Most of the hard times were just teasing him. It wasn't serious.

Goose17

Established Member

Most all Mustangs will be “collectible down the road.” The 13/14 will be at the high point of the 07-14 prices. The problem is the 13/14 is an improved version of the earlier years, which is drastically different from the Terminators. The Terminators were really a different car entirely from previous years. I see all 07-14 GT500s depreciating for a long, long time. If anyone bought them for an investment, I hope they get enjoyment from ownership because the ROI will not be there. If they hand it down to their kids, decades later it might be worth something to talk about.

It boils down to supply vs. demand. When supply is short, prices go up with demand. If there was no 07-12 GT500 and Ford only made the 13/14, it would have been an instant collectible. Eventually prices will be higher, but that’s quite a ways away.

On the flip side, I bought my first Mystichrome vert in 2013. I drove it for 4 years and sold it for a profit. Supply is low and demand is high.

Don’t misconstrue my thoughts though... I am a fan of all of these cars. I’m just talking from a collector’s viewpoint.

Rail1

Established Member
I'm with you Goose. I purchased my Roush in Nov of 2002. It has around 7600 miles on it today. It normally sits under a car cover with a battery tender and Stabil in the fuel tank. I go out and start it maybe once every 6 months. I do not necessarily drive it or move it. It runs fine and I have zero issues and no leaks.

Everyone owns things for different reason. I get a car is a car and is meant to be driven. However, most people purchase a car just for transportation and could care less about it (hell, some people put all their crap in the garage and then let their $25,000.00 car sit outside). Others purchase a car because they like the way it looks or sounds and they care about it and want to preserve it. This is a debate that will NEVER end on these car forums.

My Dad is ALWAYS on my case about letting my cars sit. Says seals will go bad, tires will dry rot, fuel will go bad yadda yadda yadda. Maybe during his time those things were true, but I feel with the new technology in chemicals and compounds you do not NEED to drive your car as often as before. Goose's 96 Cobra is a perfect example. 23 years old, 402 miles and zero issues. I feel confident letting my cars sit without fear of problems down the line............
From the man himself .....

These cars are meant to be driven, so enjoy the hell out of all of it.

-Not just the look of it when it is all clean

Carroll Shelby

Users who are viewing this thread