How many have changed the placement of the shelby lettering??

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Take a piece of fishing line and pull it back and forth while pulling it behind the letter. Pull it gently away from the body and there is no chance it will marr the paint. Then remove the tape residue with lighter fluid, NOT NAIL POLISH REMOVER!

Or you can use kerosene or Goo-B-Gone to remove the residue.

yep on the fishing line. never tried lighter fluid. you can also use a hair drier or heat gun (careful!) to remove the residue (as troublemaker mentioned).

There's someone on TeamShelby that sells templates for the centering of the letters. I may buy one as this seems the easiest way to go. :coolman:

thats great!

Why Ford didn't do this from the factory is beyond me.

so you can but some from Ford Racing Performance Parts :thumbsup: lol

it does look great and is a wonder why they didnt do that to begine with :shrug:

mustang loco

Established Member
pat i will drop by and we can do both cars!

no problem any time,actually took them off yesterday clean &"buffed" out that area looks like they were never install!! this afternoon going to a local bodyshop, he's a friend of mine and will put them back "on".But we can still do yours anytime it'll be my pleasure!!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I removed mine soon after buying the car, along with the stripes. I temporarily installed them as on the KR, then decided to leave them off permanently. I think the car looks far less cluttered without them. I also didn't feel it necessary to drive a rolling billboard with his name plastered on the ass end. Reminds me of the young girls that sloppily wear sweatpants with 'Candy' or some other message labeled on their buttocks.

It attracts far less attention now, especially from the young crowd, that only seemed interested in finding out how to peel them off when I wasn't around the car.

Easier to clean/wax now as well. To each his own I guess.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I changed mine early on in 07 and was no problem at all. I took the old ones and stuck them to my tool box and they are still there 2 years later.

Clean up was easy with Goo-Gone, then Mother's clay bar and then 4 new coats of ICE paste.

ShelbyCenterLettering003.jpg

Last edited:

ZXMustang

Banned
I removed mine soon after buying the car, along with the stripes. I temporarily installed them as on the KR, then decided to leave them off permanently. I think the car looks far less cluttered without them. I also didn't feel it necessary to drive a rolling billboard with his name plastered on the ass end. Reminds me of the young girls that sloppily wear sweatpants with 'Candy' or some other message labeled on their buttocks.

It attracts far less attention now, especially from the young crowd, that only seemed interested in finding out how to peel them off when I wasn't around the car.

Easier to clean/wax now as well. To each his own I guess.

I agree with you. I was thinking the whole time while reading this thread that I would rather just remove them. To me, they look too much. And then spacing them out on the trunk makes it worse. I may just take them off.

rickmaura@embar

Beemer
Established Member
I wasn't able to download the full size picture, but you can see the lettering on the picture above my sign in. I purchased new letters, but after taking off the old letters, you could scape the tape off and purchase 3M trim tape.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
ZXMustang said:
I agree with you. I was thinking the whole time while reading this thread that I would rather just remove them. To me, they look too much. And then spacing them out on the trunk makes it worse. I may just take them off.
Be forewarned. I first removed the stripes. Then the grille snake, followed by the faux cap and lettering. The clean look is addictive.

If I was still a teenager, the striping and lettering might excite me. But I'm not and it doesn't. Cops in the know are drawn to the 285's all around, as they know that there is something up with the car. At least now they don't notice me coming from miles away anymore though. My insurance company and my wallet appreciate that.

Tob

TexasShelby

Established Member
I've always said that the GT500 is a wonderful blank canvas with which to make it your own.
I've seen a few "deleted" "sleeper" GT500s that are absolutely gorgeous and appreciate those who have done them.
Back in 2004 when I heard they were going to make them, I knew I had to have one and had that picture in my mind was of a retro version, hence my keeping the stripes and retro look from when I got mine in 2006.
I've always been more of a sleeper driver so this is a bit of a new experience for me and it's enjoyable. Perhaps my next will be a sleeper. :)

Six_Offender

Established Member
i have been wanting to do this free mod but im scared the letters will be burnt into the paint! anybody experience that surprise or am i too paranoid?

TexasShelby

Established Member
no...but mine was fairly new at the time.

I heated them up with a dryer and took fishing line and worked it between the paint and 3M. Then cleaned it well with GooGone, then used a clay bar on the area, then laid down 4 new coats of ICE paste.

3M actually makes an adhesive remover that works well too.

mustang loco

Established Member
i have been wanting to do this free mod but im scared the letters will be burnt into the paint! anybody experience that surprise or am i too paranoid?

Mine is a 07,did the job last week and no problem at all!!After cleaning it all,I polished the the area,it's like they were never there!!:rockon:

Last edited:

wyomustang

Established Member
Yeah surprisingly the letters come off pretty easily. With just a hair dyer and some fishing line mine were off in about a min. I just pulled what ever little glue was left on with my sticker sprayed that bug off a few times and buffed it right out. No issues

TexasShelby

Established Member
Hey Six,

this might help when you get ready to do it.

I couldn't use it on mine because strips were painted on and about 1.5 mm off in that area. But if you have OEM stripes, this should work good.

shelbyletteringlayout.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread