How many getting the KB kit?

Gonna get it?

• Already ordered or ordering very soon.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Selling a kidney tomorrow and saving for it.

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • I'll consider it in the future.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • No way it's a ripoff!

Votes: 79 41.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dfw99cobra

Established Member
Taz said:
Yawnnnn ...

I think that sentiment has already been expressed once or twice in this very thread. You're kinda beating a dead horse, so tell ya what - you buy what floats YOUR boat and I'll buy what floats MINE. Okay?

:sleeping:

I'm not knocking the product just the price. I'll be done with what I've got planned for my 99 by christmas then I'll put a kb on my next stang. :rockon:

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Only gay bars house more drama queens than this thread! lol I'M KIDDING PEOPLE! heh

Anyho, here's where I'll step in...Let's say I was to build up a naaaasty Lincoln, say a Mark VIII. Beef up that 32v, same for the 4R70W, same for the IRS, hell just build up the whole damned car. I think perhaps seven, maybe eight hundred horses should suffice. All I want is a full weight, street-tired 10 second Shark. I can't afford an AMG Mercedes so I want to build the next best thing. This project hasn't even gotten off the ground (no Lincoln yet...uh...no money either...heh), and already I'm at a loss as to what method of stupid power I should get.

Coming from a centrifugal background, I'm in love with the jet turbine whoosh of them and turbos (got a 96 snake, S-trim) but I'm concerned that a Lincoln's 4000lb curb weight might not jive well with the inherent torque defecit. Having only 400 crank torque wasn't a problem with the Cobra's lighter weight and 4.30s, but it MIGHT be a problem with a Lincoln.

Never had a turbo car of any kind let alone a turbo Cobra so I can't speak from experience here. But, the near-zero parasitic losses, earlier peak boost (and resulting torque) along with the insane top end is very appealing. What isn't appealing is the fact that no one makes a turbo kit for Lincoln's and I just don't have the skills to fabricate my own kit. Plus I can foresee many headaches from trying to find room underhood for a pair of blow dryers and all that plumbing. The lack of a tubular front suspension might put another kink here.

Never driven a kb or whipple but I don't think I need to to be stupified by the torque curves they put out! To have 650+ rwtq is just what a slushbox-equipped big ol' heavy cruise missle needs. And seeing as how a KB can easily exceed the price of a 93-98 Mark VIII, IT BETTER WHOOP SOME ASS. My only gripe (and consider it as frivolous as you like) is the sound they make. I'm sorry but I just don't like that whine. It's annoying to me. Is there anyone making a quiet(er) blower? Or maybe I can grow to like the sound? :shrug:

I'm having a bitch of a time deciding on how I'm going to achieve my goals. I'll definitely take a KB for my Grand Cherokee though. :thumbsup:

Come to think of it, maybe this is the wrong thread for this post. :kaboom:

Last edited:

SGL

Banned
Kovachian said:
Only gay bars house more drama queens than this thread! lol I'M KIDDING PEOPLE! heh

Anyho, here's where I'll step in...Let's say I was to build up a naaaasty Lincoln, say a Mark VIII. Beef up that 32v, same for the 4R70W, same for the IRS, hell just build up the whole damned car. I think perhaps seven, maybe eight hundred horses should suffice. All I want is a full weight, street-tired 10 second Shark. I can't afford an AMG Mercedes so I want to build the next best thing. This project hasn't even gotten off the ground (no Lincoln yet...uh...no money either...heh), and already I'm at a loss as to what method of stupid power I should get.

Coming from a centrifugal background, I'm in love with the jet turbine whoosh of them and turbos (got a 96 snake, S-trim) but I'm concerned that a Lincoln's 4000lb curb weight might not jive well with the inherent torque defecit. Having only 400 crank torque wasn't a problem with the Cobra's lighter weight and 4.30s, but it MIGHT be a problem with a Lincoln.

Never had a turbo car of any kind let alone a turbo Cobra so I can't speak from experience here. But, the near-zero parasitic losses, earlier peak boost (and resulting torque) along with the insane top end is very appealing. What isn't appealing is the fact that no one makes a turbo kit for Lincoln's and I just don't have the skills to fabricate my own kit. Plus I can foresee many headaches from trying to find room underhood for a pair of blow dryers and all that plumbing. The lack of a tubular front suspension might put another kink here.

Never driven a kb or whipple but I don't think I need to to be stupified by the torque curves they put out! To have 650+ rwtq is just what a slushbox-equipped big ol' heavy cruise missle needs. And seeing as how a KB can easily exceed the price of a 93-98 Mark VIII, IT BETTER WHOOP SOME ASS. My only gripe (and consider it as frivolous as you like) is the sound they make. I'm sorry but I just don't like that whine. It's annoying to me. Is there anyone making a quiet(er) blower? Or maybe I can grow to like the sound? :shrug:

I'm having a bitch of a time deciding on how I'm going to achieve my goals. I'll definitely take a KB for my Grand Cherokee though. :thumbsup:

Come to think of it, maybe this is the wrong thread for this post. :kaboom:

It seems you have already answered your question.

By the way, I hope you understand that the heads on the Lincoln must be changed to 99+ design.

Last edited by a moderator:

aaron427

Established Member
No KB for me. Too much for cash for what you get. Decent power numbers. I thought the temps were high on a KB car? I will be going with the HP kit. It is a true kit. Comes with all the goodies, including front suspension. If matched with the right engine combo turbo's will have very little lag. To me blowers have just as much lag plus you don't make max boost until redline. Not to mention the stress it puts on the engine having to turn the blower. I have had a couple of ATI's and both were a pain in the butt. The self-contained unit leaked all the time, and the stupid belt slipped so much it was about worthless. I have done enough research to know that the HP, or something equal will be the way I am going.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
aaron427 said:
To me blowers have just as much lag plus you don't make max boost until redline.

Hmm i see 9.5 psi boost at 3k no lag with a twin screw

did i mention i see 400RWTQ before 4000rpm??

And good luck on getting you "true kit" from HP

Taz

Established Member
aaron427 said:
No KB for me. Too much for cash for what you get. Decent power numbers. I thought the temps were high on a KB car? I will be going with the HP kit. It is a true kit. Comes with all the goodies, including front suspension. If matched with the right engine combo turbo's will have very little lag. To me blowers have just as much lag plus you don't make max boost until redline. Not to mention the stress it puts on the engine having to turn the blower. I have had a couple of ATI's and both were a pain in the butt. The self-contained unit leaked all the time, and the stupid belt slipped so much it was about worthless. I have done enough research to know that the HP, or something equal will be the way I am going.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aaron427

Established Member
Double"O" said:
Hmm i see 9.5 psi boost at 3k no lag with a twin screw

did i mention i see 400RWTQ before 4000rpm??

And good luck on getting you "true kit" from HP
I wasn't speaking of the KB. I was speaking of the ATI. I have never driven a KB car. I am sure they are fun to drive. All in what you want out of your car. How many KB cars do you see breaking records and winning races? I am sure it's a fun street car, but that is about it.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
aaron427 said:
I wasn't speaking of the KB. I was speaking of the ATI. I have never driven a KB car. I am sure they are fun to drive. All in what you want out of your car. How many KB cars do you see breaking records and winning races? I am sure it's a fun street car, but that is about it.

We'll being that there aren't that many KB 99/01 Cobras out there I don't see many breaking records.

Yes it a fun street car, and it runs very well at the track I trapped just shy of 91mph in the 1/8th on only 9.5psi i had to let off at the 1000ft mark due to oscilation issue yet i ended up trapping 113. I am sure the car is good for a high 11 second pass at around 116 or better.

aaron427

Established Member
I mean any year of mustang. I am not bashing the KB I am sure it is fun, and makes decent power. Some people think that it is the best thing ever. Each power adder has it's negatives and positives. You choose which one fits what you want in a car. I am looking for power, and alot of it. So my choice is going to be different than other people. Have any power numbers on your car? Any pics? I would like to see it. Good luck with it.

Double"O" said:
We'll being that there aren't that many KB 99/01 Cobras out there I don't see many breaking records.

Yes it a fun street car, and it runs very well at the track I trapped just shy of 91mph in the 1/8th on only 9.5psi i had to let off at the 1000ft mark due to oscilation issue yet i ended up trapping 113. I am sure the car is good for a high 11 second pass at around 116 or better.

Taz

Established Member
aaron427 said:
I mean any year of mustang. I am not bashing the KB I am sure it is fun, and makes decent power. Some people think that it is the best thing ever. Each power adder has it's negatives and positives. You choose which one fits what you want in a car. I am looking for power, and alot of it. So my choice is going to be different than other people. Have any power numbers on your car? Any pics? I would like to see it. Good luck with it.

Hey, man!

If you're looking for a LOT of power, why not skip that whimpy turbo and go straight for the JATO pack strapped to the ass end of your ride? I hear that's what the BIG DOGS are runnin' this year. Or maybe you could get Morton Thiokol to break out one of their surplus shuttle SRB's for you. Then you could walk all those dawgs with the JATO's.

After all, we're talking strictly a track car here, right? You're not really looking to build something that you'd want to be lugging along in rush hour creep-n-beep, right? Or how about navigating your way through that Saturday morning flotilla of suburban soccer moms?

Yup, as long as all you want to do is wrinkle the pavement in a closed track environment, what you're planning ought to be a stone cold gas! Provided you eventually end up with a full kit's worth of parts that actually fit AND you ever get the car running.

Good luck with that!

:thumbsup:

T-

aaron427

Established Member
Taz said:
Hey, man!

If you're looking for a LOT of power, why not skip that whimpy turbo and go straight for the JATO pack strapped to the ass end of your ride? I hear that's what the BIG DOGS are runnin' this year. Or maybe you could get Morton Thiokol to break out one of their surplus shuttle SRB's for you. Then you could walk all those dawgs with the JATO's.

After all, we're talking strictly a track car here, right? You're not really looking to build something that you'd want to be lugging along in rush hour creep-n-beep, right? Or how about navigating your way through that Saturday morning flotilla of suburban soccer moms?

Yup, as long as all you want to do is wrinkle the pavement in a closed track environment, what you're planning ought to be a stone cold gas! Provided you eventually end up with a full kit's worth of parts that actually fit AND you ever get the car running.

Good luck with that!

T-
It will be driven on the street. My brother is drives his tt-coupe everyday, and never has any problems with it. h,c,i-twins, and about 17lbs of boost. Lots of turbo guys drive their cars on the street. He also gets about 17mpg around town with it.
From what I hear they have been slow with shipping, and availabilty. Hopefully they get on the ball, or someone else will step up to the plate.
I have a little longer before I do it anyways I still haven't built the motor yet. I guess I will work on that over the summer. Whoo hoo!!!!!!!! Later.

SGL

Banned
aaron427 said:

you are forgetting that KB sells 3 different kits for the 99/01 cars:

1. non-intercooled 1.7L blower
2. Intercooled 1.7L blower
3. intercooled 2.2L blower

#3 can make 700+ rwhp with a properly setup motor, i.e. low compression, forged rod, pistons. You will need the same motor setup for turbo anyway so the cost and hassles will be the same. I'm sure KB can make the 2.4L blower fit also and that is good for 800+ rwhp. A turbo setup with that kind of power will net you the same cost. Don't forget the rest of the driveline and chassis has to be upgraded to support that kind of power. Plus the turbos require a lot of exhaust plumbing and a lot of "massaging" (i.e. relocating) of various components under the hood. The KB sits in an area not used by other components: on top of the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

aaron427

Established Member
serpentnoir said:
you are forgetting that KB sells 3 different kits for the 99/01 cars:

1. non-intercooled 1.7L blower
2. Intercooled 1.7L blower
3. intercooled 2.2L blower

#3 can make 700+ rwhp with a properly setup motor, i.e. low compression, forged rod, pistons. You will need the same motor setup for turbo anyway so the cost and hassles will be the same. I'm sure KB can make the 2.4L blower fit also and that is good for 800+ rwhp. A turbo setup with that kind of power will net you the same cost. Don't forget the rest of the driveline and chassis has to be upgraded to support that kind of power. Plus the turbos require a lot of exhaust plumbing and a lot of "massaging" (i.e. relocating) of various components under the hood. The KB sits in an area not used by other components: on top of the motor.
How much boost is that? 25-30psi? I don't doubt that they don't make killer power with the right application. Not necessarly saying either make more power just curious why more people don't use them? That is the good thing about them no upper intake to worry about. I am pretty familiar with turbo setups. I have helped my brother with twins on a couple of cars so not worried about all the plumbing. I guess we will see which way I go after I get all of my ideas and some parts together.

coreseller

Established Member
Taz said:
Hey, man!

Good luck with that!

T-

JATO.......BIG DOGS..........ILMAO! Taz, you have a gift.

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
No point I got a brand new procharger kit, upgraded the s/c to d1sc and professionally installed and tune. and purchased long tube headers, or/pipe and all of these part installed for the price they are talking.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
KingCobra10Sec said:
No point I got a brand new procharger kit, upgraded the s/c to d1sc and professionally installed and tune. and purchased long tube headers, or/pipe and all of these part installed for the price they are talking.

nothin wrong with that!!! :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread