How many big TS guys breaking stock lower?

Terminator17

Established Member
The guy I bought my blower from (3.4 whip/crusher) told me he had the same issues. He said he put 2 tack welds somewhere I don't remember exactly but that it did the trick and fixed the issue. I'll try to find him on the forum so he can chime in
Thanks for the help:beer:

There is a thread in the engine section in regards to a lower pulley using the factory cage. Hit up that guy. He had a new hub made for someone or for him. Maybe what he had made is stronger than stock.
Thanks, Ill have to see if I can find it. Seems like an aftermarket company could make a killing with a lower that still has support.

Terminator17

Established Member
I'd check into micro-welding if you're going to add weld. It's tiny and should work fine. You simply tack weld on that and knock it out of balance the crank is going to take the punishment.

I think youre right. Do you think a machine shop could balance it after welding? Or would the cage get in the way too much that theyd just say they cant do it?

GodStang

Established Member
Fortunitly this is only a Whipple 3.4L problem. I think there has only been around 10-15 known cases doing it so it is not super common. This is one of the first I have heard of the stock one doing it. Sucks that this happened.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
not to be a smartass- but I've heard this is one of the reasons to not have a blower this size on our tiny motors? and haven't a few cars snapped the crank snout off itself?

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
I broke the crank snout off once..

Had to have a new crank modified by a machine shop, it was expensive. :(

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
It was a metco lower pulley, so it was lacking in the stock support.

Had the slicks out back and nailed a 1-2 shift.. kapow!

The crank snapped where the dampener bolt ended in the crank shaft. That creates stress concentrations.. so the new crank uses a longer bolt, and the crank shaft was machined accordingly.

Thus there is no longer a stress concentration right outside of the timing cover (where there are large oscillating loads due to rotation + belt tension)..

:beer:

Oh yeah, and I went back to a stock lower pulley. No need for 33+ psi anyway.

oldmodman

Established Member
For anyone interested here is a must read thread over on Modford about deep drilling the crank and using an ARP stud to move the load on the crank to behind the undercut portion of the crank.

Crank Tech

whitemachine

Established Member
i def think the 3.4 is too much so after im done messing with my 2.3l im going turbo these motors love turbos as long as its tuned right lol

Users who are viewing this thread