How many big TS guys breaking stock lower?

Terminator17

Established Member
My 3.4 crusher broke the stock lower pulley. I cant decide if I should get a metco kit, or another stock caged pulley. I like the idea of having the cage support but not if it keeps breaking. How many of you have broke a stocker? Whats your opinion?

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Interesting. Haven't heard of any stock pulley issues. I was thinking of putting the stock lower back on when i install the 2.9. I currently have a 4# lower ring on it but may just change the ring instead.

Terminator17

Established Member
dsc00086hq.jpg

dsc00085i.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terminator17

Established Member
Posted a few pics for ya. I thought of welding right there at the hub to pulley connection by tacking it while it was bolted to the car and then taking it off again and fully welding it. But I think since the weld wouldn't be perfect consistency around the pulley that it would make it unbalanced? Or is a heavy spot in the weld around it not enough to matter?

Terminator17

Established Member
That sux. Yea don't think you would want to weld on it unless you were to get it balanced afterwards

That may be my best option. Id put a weld around a new one for added strength and get it balanced. Any of you seen a pulley broke like that?

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
this scares the shit out of me, im only making 19 pounds on my 3.4 but im at 710 wheel. Spun the belt last night in third gear and thought the motor went, felt like i lost all power. Guess these are a couple down sides of the big blower cars.

Terminator17

Established Member
this scares the shit out of me, im only making 19 pounds on my 3.4 but im at 710 wheel. Spun the belt last night in third gear and thought the motor went, felt like i lost all power. Guess these are a couple down sides of the big blower cars.

Thats what mine felt like when it broke. You still using the stock lower?

Chiflikalotapus

Whippled
Established Member
The guy I bought my blower from (3.4 whip/crusher) told me he had the same issues. He said he put 2 tack welds somewhere I don't remember exactly but that it did the trick and fixed the issue. I'll try to find him on the forum so he can chime in

TRBO VNM

There is a thread in the engine section in regards to a lower pulley using the factory cage. Hit up that guy. He had a new hub made for someone or for him. Maybe what he had made is stronger than stock.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
The guy I bought my blower from (3.4 whip/crusher) told me he had the same issues. He said he put 2 tack welds somewhere I don't remember exactly but that it did the trick and fixed the issue. I'll try to find him on the forum so he can chime in

I'd check into micro-welding if you're going to add weld. It's tiny and should work fine. You simply tack weld on that and knock it out of balance the crank is going to take the punishment.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
LOL at all the welding concerns.

Does anyone know how a stock lower caged assembly works?
It was invented by FORD so it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CRANKSHAFT HARMONICS OR STRESS PUT ON IT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread