how hard will the predator be to program?

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Lol hey i'm still here I did get the laptop back. The ls1 crowd isn't accepting the diablo very well it took them forever to get it and custom tunes are still non existant as far as i know also they are not cheap either. A chip is the best option right now I wouldn't waste my money on the diablo it will have limited tuning capabilities. I wish we could have what the ls1 guys the have what is called ls1 edit. You can edit all options in the computer just like a chip but plugs into the obd2 port.

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
Don't forget the Predator has datalogging capabilities and it also can be used for pulling codes and such. You can have a custom tune for your car put in it and then fine tune(although small) when necessary. Just some things to remember.
Thanks Mike

lethal

Established Member
The guys at diablo are going to have tunes for this beast, I was among some of the stock Cobras they modded, plus they have all sorts of combinations they are testing. I'll bet this is well worth the wait. I'm going to joyride my car this weekend, just put in the new K&N Aircharger and with the new tune (Diablo's via a Predator) the car is quite snappy. Before the tune I had only the catback and Densecharger. I took the CAI out so that they could use my car as a stock car -- catbacks didn't count.

I'm sure this thing will be well worth the price, and they will be able to download any chip tune to your stock computer. For instance, anyone with the combination of say, Toofast, and I bet Diablo will have a tune for you.

John

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
yea they may have a tune for me but am i going to have to pay 400+ for this thing then another 100+ for a custom tune. if that is the case i'll go with the chip. i just want the predator to be able to down load the program out of the eec when i go to the dealer, but wouldn't i beable to just take the chip and pulley off and put the stock ones back on if i want to go to the dealer?
thanks
brandon

lethal

Established Member
Yes, but there will be evidence, especially with a chip. This solution is not for everyone... its an option for some who choose not to change their pully or what the scanning and data logging tools. Even with a chip you get free reburns... it is plausable that you buy the predator + tune from a tuner and you can get a couple of other programs (in leiu of a reburn).

There are just more options, and more options come prices. It's a personal decision. I chose this route, already the tune I have seems to give me more power and for some reason, better gas mileage.

John

lethal

Established Member
first tank I got 15.5 instead of the usual 12.5 to 13 mpg.

I'll fill up tomorrow and give you the results in a week or two (going out of town on Wednesday).

John

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Well im trying to stay up late while I still can... My professor was telling the class about when you get older that you simply cant pull all nighters and stay up late anymore and expect to make it through class/work the next day.

Very very true & sad :nonono:
Dont worry ur is coming soon for YOU ;-)

Marc....well if ud only take out the trash like mama said :shrug: :p

Maybe this Predator started off as a really good idea but just inst going to be all that Diablo wanted it to be :shrug:

03CobraBro

Established Member
I only plan on going as far as a 2.9 non slip pulley, chip of somesort, billet flow throttle body, and maybe exhaust somewhere down the road. I plan on the 2.9 pulley and the chip pretty soon though (and I already have a K&N). Would the predator be necesary for someone who only plans on having a handful of mods? (mostly the ones I'v listed.)

lifter213

Established Member
I only plan on going as far as a 2.9 non slip pulley, chip of somesort, billet flow throttle body, and maybe exhaust somewhere down the road. I plan on the 2.9 pulley and the chip pretty soon though (and I already have a K&N). Would the predator be necesary for someone who only plans on having a handful of mods? (mostly the ones I'v listed.)

Yeah your going to want to have something, chip, MAFterburner, Predator, etc to get the a/f in a safe place if you put on the 2.93 pulley. Now if you asking if you should get the chip and the Predator i'm not real sure why you'd do that since from what i hear the Predator will do everything the chip will but i guess we will see.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
i am worried that the predator is not worth the extra money and if i should just go ahead and get a chip? the biggest reason for me wanting to get the predator is for warranty reasons so i can download the programming out of the eec and go back to stock for warranty repairs!
what should i do?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by jfclague
Are there any other options similiar to the Predator?

I have the Superchips microtuner for my F150. Same thing. You can adjust timing, overall a/f, tranny stuff, gears, tires.. Downloads the stock program, flashes a new one. All though the OBD port.

I don't think Superchips is into the 03 Cobras for some reason. But they make programs for the Lightnings. I remember some of their tunes being out early for the 03's, and one being bad, too lean. Maybe that's why they aren't popular in the 03 Cobra market. :uh oh:

But the Microtuner would be the most likely competitor. Maybe Hypertech, but I wouldn't trust them.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by FEARSNO1
i am worried that the predator is not worth the extra money and if i should just go ahead and get a chip? the biggest reason for me wanting to get the predator is for warranty reasons so i can download the programming out of the eec and go back to stock for warranty repairs!
what should i do?

Chip=void warranty in nearly every case. Only you can make that call.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by lifter213
Yeah your going to want to have something, chip, MAFterburner, Predator, etc to get the a/f in a safe place if you put on the 2.93 pulley. Now if you asking if you should get the chip and the Predator i'm not real sure why you'd do that since from what i hear the Predator will do everything the chip will but i guess we will see.

I mean for the mods I plan on getting... Nothing real serious, after I get my 2.9 Pulley and whatever chip the only things I would be adding is maybe exhaust and throttle body later on... Will it really be worth spending the extra cash on the Predator... as opposed the Sport?

lifter213

Established Member
I mean for the mods I plan on getting... Nothing real serious, after I get my 2.9 Pulley and whatever chip the only things I would be adding is maybe exhaust and throttle body later on... Will it really be worth spending the extra cash on the Predator... as opposed the Sport?

If your saying your putting on the 2.9 pulley and getting a chip anyway and then asking if you should still get the Predator i'd so no. Alteast i wouldnt unless i just had that much money to get toys and throw around. You can always get a free reburn on the chip for any future mods you do like exhaust and the throttle body. So if you already are getting the chip my opinion is that you not worry about the predator. Not sure what you meant about the...."as opposed the sport part though".

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by lifter213
If your saying your putting on the 2.9 pulley and getting a chip anyway and then asking if you should still get the Predator i'd so no. Alteast i wouldnt unless i just had that much money to get toys and throw around. You can always get a free reburn on the chip for any future mods you do like exhaust and the throttle body. So if you already are getting the chip my opinion is that you not worry about the predator. Not sure what you meant about the...."as opposed the sport part though".

Ok, I plan on getting my 2.90" nonslip pulley, but I intend on having a chip installed the same time I have my pulley put on.

Now, assuming that the predator is more expensive... Would the predator really be necisary, in comparison to the cheaper Diablo sport chip for what I have? I dont really see the need to fork over an extra 200 dollars for the predators ability to be reprogrammed by me, if I dont plan on adding anymore really extensive modifications to my car.

lifter213

Established Member
Ok, I plan on getting my 2.90" nonslip pulley, but I intend on having a chip installed the same time I have my pulley put on.

Now, assuming that the predator is more expensive... Would the predator really be necisary, in comparison to the cheaper Diablo sport chip for what I have? I dont really see the need to fork over an extra 200 dollars for the predators ability to be reprogrammed by me, if I dont plan on adding anymore really extensive modifications to my car.

Ok i see what your saying now. And if it was me and i was getting the pulley and Diablo chip to start out with i wouldnt even mess with getting the Predator once it came out. I'd have everything done via the chip. That's just me though. You might like to be able to change stuff yourself whenever you want so the Predator might be something cool to have if you wanted to. Good luck with it. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread