How fast you guys going on a stock clutch?

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
My stock clutch did not last...thanks Kenne Bell.

Other than that, I was pullied & ported w/ upper-lower pulley and my it held up to that quite well but never ran it at the track when I was ported but I would have imagined that it would have gone mid 11's.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'm worried as hell about mine and it only has 4,000 miles on it. The reason is I"m going back to the track and I'm going to slip it at about 3,500rpms(at least) and I know that it aint going to like it that much! I've got a lot done to the car now and I don't think it's going to last much longer slipping it with street tires.

convert03cobra

Established Member
My wife bought me a Spec 3 and steel flywheel for Xmas and the only reason I'm changing my clutch is my dam TOB is shot. Otherwise, I would keep the stocker until it kicked the bucket.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
i have 36000 miles and the stock clutch it only slips a little when i ride out the clutch at about 4000rpms on nitto dr's at the track....o yeh...it hel d enough to brake an axle...and i was spinning when it broke

gotboost03

gotboost?
Established Member
I have 46,000 on what I think is a stocker but I can not be sure if it is. I am about to replace it and not sure what to go with. It never slipped on me before now so if it is stock it has held up great.

silvercoffin

Established Member

yeah......... ;-)

No its hard to launch this car if you dont race a lot. You must have had a 1.90-2.0 60ft to run that time.. Your MPH is real good...so you are shifting right.

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
silvercoffin said:
yeah......... ;-)

No its hard to launch this car if you dont race a lot. You must have had a 1.90-2.0 60ft to run that time.. Your MPH is real good...so you are shifting right.
My firewall adjuster is out about as far as it will go so, I was actually worried about the stock clutch slipping on the launch so I was trying to do more "street starts" then "drag launches". Later in the day after being fed up with the times I did launch it off my two step and pulled a 1.73 60 ft but missed third and quit on that run. No excuses here I still stand by I suck.:p My alt. actually died at the track I noticed I only had 9 volts when I left and the car died at 7.5v about a 35 miles from my house. I am changing to a spec 3+ this week. After breakin time, I will be back at the track to run a better time then this horrible performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
On my stock clutch and IRS, I have been as fast as 11.80 @ 119.5 mph with DA 4800ft. I've probably made close to 20 track passes on M/T ET streets and now Hoosier QTPs launching from 5200rpms to 6400rpms on the last 3 passes that got me 11.80 and 11.81. I am getting a new clutch since then and solid rear.

silvercoffin

Established Member

no man you dont suck! LOL its a PITA to launch this car!
And beware of that 3+ spec I think mine is a very good clutch but it is also very on/off... no matter how much I try to feather or ride the clutch to launch it, the power just turns on resulting in bad hop I didnt have with the FMS clutch. I put et streets on and that got rid of the hop but after about 15 launches I still cant hook like I did on DRs with my good old FMS clutch

I am switching to a spec 2 (had to anyway because I a bought a new trans Level V from RPM with 26 spline) im hoping the spec 2 will allow me to slip the clutch a little.

Let us know how you do with the 3+

Last edited:

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I'm just wondering how fast people are going on a stock '03-04 cobra clutch, quarter mile speaking.

Maybe post up your ET, gear ratio, and power level.

I'm still on my stock clutch, I've gone 11.0@125, sprayed nitrous, power shifted, daily driven, and just overall am nasty to it, and it's still holding strong. I switched to a steel flywheel and the clutch looked so good I didn't replace it.

Experiences?

im calling bs.:burn:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
D's01Snake said:
im calling bs.:burn:
Dick.

Hmm, well...Since you Witnessed it! Oh and btw, I pushed your wagon out in the street, and welded one of your header tubes completely shut. I hope you don't mind.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Mine has 46k on the stock Cobra clutch. 10.9@127 dropping it from 6k on the launch. Unported, upper pulley only, bolt-ons, exhaust, SRA, 4.10s, drag springs, under 3300 lbs without me in it. I just started being really hard on it and it seems like it's going to have to be changed soon. Got a couple high 1.5 60-fts out of it at first on M/T ET Street radials but can't seem to get better than 1.6-1.7 now.
I'm thinking of going with the McLeod street twin because I want to be able to abuse the hell out of it at the track but most of the driving I do is actually on the street so I'd like something with reasonable pedal effort that's not an on/off switch.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Mine's got 4,200 miles on it and I powershifted 2nd to 3rd and then 3rd to 4th and it didn't like it at all! Third grabbed pretty good and 4th slipped like hell!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
posi said:
Mine's got 4,200 miles on it and I powershifted 2nd to 3rd and then 3rd to 4th and it didn't like it at all! Third grabbed pretty good and 4th slipped like hell!
Could be caused by poor clutch adjustment. At 4,000 miles, your clutch shouldn't be giving you any issues.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
How fast? 127mph in the 1/4 on stock clutch. It's ruined now at 37k btw, ended up shifting like a stock auto. crappy 60ft and et. I don't trust the dyno but it said over 550# of tq, a bit over 500 hp. W just the 2.9 it said +390hp 410tq. at that timing, 11.7 a/f doing a back to back test. I heard a well tuned 03, ported, upper and lower put down 440hp on that dyno. Shop owner told me his coworker 05 stick gt put down 218 there stock. It's a awd dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread