How fast you guys going on a stock clutch?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm just wondering how fast people are going on a stock '03-04 cobra clutch, quarter mile speaking.

Maybe post up your ET, gear ratio, and power level.

I'm still on my stock clutch, I've gone 11.0@125, sprayed nitrous, power shifted, daily driven, and just overall am nasty to it, and it's still holding strong. I switched to a steel flywheel and the clutch looked so good I didn't replace it.

Experiences?

silvercoffin

Established Member

YOU are PROOF that a spec 3+ and all these otehr crazy clutches are not necessary! LOL..

I did my 11.40 @ 121 on a FMS RAcing clutch which I have been told is the "stock" clutch... or the clutch that the dealership replaces the stock clutch with. Its 10% higher TQ capable.. Although with my 470hp 460tq at the wheels an FMS clutch would only last couple of seasons at best of consistent mid to high 11 sec runs.

I made the mistake of buying a spec 3+ hoping to fix my shifting problems but turned out to be the trans not the clutch. Now im going back to a spec 2 with the new trans and 26 spline. I was tempted to just go back to a FMS clutch.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
silvercoffin said:
YOU are PROOF that a spec 3+ and all these otehr crazy clutches are not necessary! LOL..

I did my 11.40 @ 121 on a FMS RAcing clutch which I have been told is the "stock" clutch... or the clutch that the dealership replaces the stock clutch with. Its 10% higher TQ capable.. Although with my 470hp 460tq at the wheels an FMS clutch would only last couple of seasons at best of consistent mid to high 11 sec runs.

I made the mistake of buying a spec 3+ hoping to fix my shifting problems but turned out to be the trans not the clutch. Now im going back to a spec 2 with the new trans and 26 spline. I was tempted to just go back to a FMS clutch.
Why don't you send me that 3+ since you hate it so much. PM me for my address.:thumbsup:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Well, that's sort of my point. So many people are upgrading when realistically, they probably don't need to.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Well, that's sort of my point. So many people are upgrading when realistically, they probably don't need to.
I needed to. After I put on the Whipple I went to the track once & it slipped bad in the upper rpms. Put in a Spec3+ & cut 6 tenths off my 1/8 mile time.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
lloyyd said:
I needed to. After I put on the Whipple I went to the track once & it slipped bad in the upper rpms. Put in a Spec3+ & cut 6 tenths off my 1/8 mile time.
What times are you running? How many miles on the stock clutch when it was slipping?

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
lloyyd said:

Wow, 6 tenths off your 1/8 mile time... thats nuts:eek:

I'm sure you felt a big difference in that too, congrats.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
What times are you running? How many miles on the stock clutch when it was slipping?
When I first got the Whipple I ran a best of 7.63 in the 1/8 on the stocker, 22-23K miles on it.
After the 3+ I ran a best of 7.06.

I will say that I did swith from 275 MT's to 315 Hoosier DR's also, so those may have helped a little too, but my 60's weren't that much better.

I only felt it slip at the track, if felt fine on the street.

BlownAway03

Established Member
I got 73,000 miles out of my stock clutch. My car's been modded since around 30,000. It never slipped. I just replaced because I figured it had to be almost worn out. When I took it out it was just pretty much evenly worn and probably had a few thousand miles left in it.

silvercoffin

Established Member

They are pretty good but with a modded car i find it hard to believe that it lasted that long if you were actually racing. You must not race weekly like i do because my slightly better than stock FMS Racing clutches lasted two seasons and i used both of them up with only 13,000 miles on the car. Depends how you launch to though im sure. I would ride or feather the clutch to get 1.6 60fts with my upper pullied car.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm at about 13k miles, and my car has been heavily raced since the day it was born. I'm still on the stock original clutch.

Last edited:

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
My stock clutch is done with 28K on it. No track time at all. Just street racing.
Either going with a Centerforce DF, Spec Stage 2... some have told me to get a FRPP... I dont know for sure. I dont plan on any major power upgrades anytime soon... your thoughts?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'd go with the FRPP, it's cheap, reliable, and proven. Especially for what you're using it for.

What's a Spec II cost?

silvercoffin

Established Member
?

What is FFRP? Is that the Ford Racing Clutch? What is that rated for?

I am going with the SPec 2 because I want a clutch that hopefully will be able to be slipped/feathered a little and not be on/off like my 3+

Im getting worried because I have heard from a few people who say even the 2 is pretty on/off??? Might be because they used it in cars that didnt need more than a stage1 though..

I'm also a little concerned about Kevlar. I have heard that it needs a break in unlike sintered iron that people still break in but it isnt as important. The Kevlar is touchy...kind of weird when you read up on it. Suppoed to glaze from street driving but then go back to normal when driven hard. Can also burn up and doesnt recover as well when burned as a stock/organic clutch.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The FRPP is basically a stock replacement for the '03/04 cobra. I just put one in my Saleen and it feels just like the one in my Cobra.

M-7560-D46

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
FWIW when my clutch goes I'm just putting a Ford Racing unit in. Just have heard too many people unhappy with their aftermarket clutches. I would be willing to bet that the life of the clutch has a lot to do with how you slip it when you shift. No doubt powershifting really eats up a lot of clutch material.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I think thats what i have had since my stock one. The mechanic who put them in called them FMS Racing clutches. Downs ford here in NJ says they are only rated for 10% more than stock, but i loved mine. The second one wasnt really shot either. I switched to the 3+ in hopes that my shifting problems were clutch related not the trans.

I guess ill try the spec 2 since i already bought it. Then go back to the ford clutch if im not happy.

Users who are viewing this thread