How do you choose a mattress?

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
The last time I needed a mattress, my wife and I decided that the one we had was too hard and needed to go. We upped to a king since the dogs (Boxer, Maltese, Bulldog) liek to sneak into the bed at night. We had both slept on some pretty nice SOFT mattresses before and felt great when we got up.

When we purchased the one we have now we thought it was nice and soft enough, but I am thinking it might be too soft. It is a Simmons pillowtop and it is very thick even before the pillow top.

Clearly I don't knwo squat about mattresses, but we paid at least $1400 for the thing and I believe it was on sale.

This may be a stupid question, but do sleep centers (the places where they study the WAY you sleep to determine if you have apnea and so forth) have anything set up where they can determine what tyupe of matress would be best for you?

I am not sure what to do. My wife and I are ALWAYS very tired when we wake up, and both us us frequently wake up with back pain. I'd love some type of solution.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
Subscribing. I have been thinking of buying a new mattress myself and know little of the subject matter. I hope someone can help us both (in this case, the four of us, me, you and our better halves).

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Buy a more firm mattress? Have you never been to a furniture store. They have them lined up where you can lay on them. I prefer the latex mattresses myself. I like a soft mattress though.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
Buy a more firm mattress? Have you never been to a furniture store. They have them lined up where you can lay on them. I prefer the latex mattresses myself. I like a soft mattress though.

I have been to plenty of furniture stores, but none of them will let me stay over night to see how my back feels in the morning... not sure why though. :shrug:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
What did you sleep on before, what do you sleep on now? I bet salesmen love you guys.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
What did you sleep on before, what do you sleep on now? I bet salesmen love you guys.

That is why I don't deal with salesmen. I'd rather deal with someone who has personal experience. I buy just about everything through someone that has personal experience. I don't deal with salesmen. When I go to buy something, I know what I want.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member

Are your posts even serious, or did you think I put this in smack down?

If you read the original post, you would see I already had a firm mattress to begin with. In the interim, we both slept on much softer mattresses with no problems, but once we bought a significantly softer mattress, we still had the same probless as the firm one.

Therefoer, I was hoping someone with some INPUT could advise me on a way I can find out how soft is too soft, and how firm is too firm. Short of blowing over a thousand dollars each trial.

Either hers or mine. There's only two choices :shrug:

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
In the interim, we both slept on much softer mattresses with no problems, but once we bought a significantly softer mattress, we still had the same probless as the firm one.

My bad. I just think that some people answer their own questions.

You have to admit, asking about mattresses on an online forum doesn't really make much sense now, does it?

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
My bad. I just think that some people answer their own questions.

You have to admit, asking about mattresses on an online forum doesn't really make much sense now, does it?

Well, my primary curiousity is if sleep centers that do overnight studies have the ability to check what type of mattress would be best for you as well. I know they study things like how you breathe, how long it takes you to fall asleep, and how you sleep in general, but I don't know to what extent they could help.

In a way, what type of mattress you might need somewhat falls into the same catagory since it can cause sleep deprivation just as easily as a medical condition could. I could be way off base here, but I was hoping that someone with experience on the subject would chime in.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
My father has sleep apnea, I'm pretty sure they're mostly looking at vital signs and other biological things. If you work hard enough, any mattress will suffice.

Just sayin'...if you have to complain about your mattress being too soft...well.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I go into a store and lay on them ... then have my girl lay down and I get on top of her and bounce a few times .... if we both get up without being sore .. that is the matress for us.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I've heard the sleep number bed is the best thing since sliced bread. You can go from soft to firm with the touch of a button.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Id rather invest in a great nights sleep

no hate from me on that for sure. only reason I don't have one is because when I bought my new matresses I didn't have the money for a sleep number set. now it would be different.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sometimes a hotel bed can pick you a winner. Because you get to try it out for one or more sleep nights. My wife and I stayed at the Maya Hotel in Long Beach last week and our bed was the best we've ever slept on. If we were looking for a new bed, THAT would be the one we'd pick. Laying on a bed in a showroom isn't the same as actually sleeping on it for at least one night. Many buy a bed with a replacement guarantee if you're not happy with it. A friend of mine bought a mattress from Macy's and returned it within a week for a new one. They didn't like that one either and returned IT for a new one. I believe they had 3-4 different models delivered before they finally got one they liked.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
and very very expensive as well

Not really. The great thing about a sleep number is you can adjust it. With that said, we just bought a mattress a few months back and they had a simulator thingy that you laid in would recommend a type of mattress for you by answer questions and taking measurements of your body.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Not really. The great thing about a sleep number is you can adjust it. With that said, we just bought a mattress a few months back and they had a simulator thingy that you laid in would recommend a type of mattress for you by answer questions and taking measurements of your body.

Then they have dropped in price since last I checked LOL! where did you see the simulator thingy? that would be cool to check out

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i just bought a new pillowtop mattress but i slept on a memory foam mattress and slept like an absolute baby on it. I got mine from that mattress place on Siegen lane behind Whataburger

Users who are viewing this thread