How do I tell my wife

Gumball

Established Member
2 questions for you. 1. How insurance smart is your wife? 2. How friendly are you with your insurance agent? If your answers are not and very keep reading. Tell her that because of the kind of car, the insurance would be too expensive for more than one driver. Tell her that you signed a "named driver exclusion form" (Technical stuff makes you sound smart), so no one but you is covered to drive the car. When she yells at you for that, tell her you were only trying to save the family money (Responsibility, very sexy...see anniversary). Oh yeah, make sure you tell your agent what's up. I know she's blonde, but she sounds smart enough to dial a phone. With her past driving history, she may buy it. And yes, I do own an ins agency, and this stuff does exist...sort of!

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Gumball
2 questions for you. 1. How insurance smart is your wife? 2. How friendly are you with your insurance agent? If your answers are not and very keep reading. Tell her that because of the kind of car, the insurance would be too expensive for more than one driver. Tell her that you signed a "named driver exclusion form" (Technical stuff makes you sound smart), so no one but you is covered to drive the car. When she yells at you for that, tell her you were only trying to save the family money (Responsibility, very sexy...see anniversary). Oh yeah, make sure you tell your agent what's up. I know she's blonde, but she sounds smart enough to dial a phone. With her past driving history, she may buy it. And yes, I do own an ins agency, and this stuff does exist...sort of!

Oooooh! That's GOOD! Another dark soul.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
I was having a bad day until I read through this thread!!

Call the dealership and ask if they can keep the car there for a few extra days until you get back.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
she couldnt hurt it much worse than the guys who park it at the plant, or the guys who load and unload rail cars, or the truck driver, or the car wash guys at the dealership...

since its your car I say let her drive it... lol j/k

take the plug wires out before you leave and when it won't start tell her on the phone... oh, gosh well I will have to look at it when I get home, can you see if your dad can loan you a car?

lol and good luck

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
Originally posted by IceBourg
I was having a bad day until I read through this thread!!

Call the dealership and ask if they can keep the car there for a few extra days until you get back.

I wouldn't recommend that. I would trust the dealer bubbas even less than a spouse. The dealership I bought my car from put 54 unauthorized miles on it!! I just wish I had caught the fugger in the act. :gt: Leaving it with the dealer means the sales and service personnel, not to mention customers will be flogging the car.

MJ32V

Established Member
Been in that situation before...sometimes honesty isn't the best way to go. My beautiful BLONDE wife wouldn't understand either. Disconnect batt like someone else said. Here's my story, I'll try to keep it short: Bought wife a new Explorer a month ago (so I could buy Cobra). Last week, she forgot to close tailgate door, and pressed the garage door opener to close... scratch city. Garage door handle, which is metal, put a nice gouge in the tailgate paint. She blames me for not reminding her to close tailgate! Couple days later, she tells me that she wants to drive my car into work. Arghh... I tell her "what about the tailgate?... besides, the car isn't broken in yet (when do these cars breakin? around 60K miles or so?!! hehe). This is one of many car stories regarding my wife. She also did in my '87 Buick Grand National intercooler scoop on the curb... totally mashed it! I can go on and on about these stories... like the time she drove her '87 300ZX bumper thru the sheetrock in the garage, or the time she used the Camaro qtr panel to remove the garage door mouldings (she actually drove car into garage and scraped off the moulding).... or how about the time she locked the keys in '85 Stang GT and got so pissed that she whacked the roof with a night stick and never told me she did it till years later after I sold it (always wondered what caused dent in that darn roof). Need I say more? Disco that battery.

MJ

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by MJ32V
She blames me for not reminding her to close tailgate!

I love how women can turn the blame around in the turn of the hat. I never though I would have to tell a very smart educated women everything that she should or should not do with a vehicle. My opinion is I bought my wife several vehicles she now has a 2002 MDX, because she refused to drive here 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer any more because of all the problems in the news I really got screwed on that trade-in purchased at 34k trade-in at 16K a 1.5 year later, and does not take care of it at all inside or out and does not care about it at all to her it is a way to get from point A to point B. If she does not take care of or care about here own car why should I think she would treat mine any better.

C_Record

Established Member
I hate to say this, but you should grow some balls(or at least start wearing the pants in your family). You shouldn't have to make up excuses why you can't let your wife drive your Cobra. Just tell her she can't, end of story!

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by rcogs
I hate to say this, but you should grow some balls(or at least start wearing the pants in your family). You shouldn't have to make up excuses why you can't let your wife drive your Cobra. Just tell her she can't, end of story!

Leme guess...you're single, right?

Elliotness

Established Member

I do wear the pants in the family. I am not afraid to tell her anything...

That said.

I simply don't want to hurt her feelings and tell her that I don't trust her with my car. It's true I don't trust her with my car. However, she would be hurt if I told her that I don't trust her with my car. If that in anyway can be construed as not wearing the pants in the family or not having balls, So be it. I think, no correction, I know I can't tell her I don't trust her. :nono: It would make the situation worse. Hence the ruse.

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by griffined
It's things like this that make me glad to be single.

I will be nice and simply say this.

You haven't seen my wife..:beer:

Last edited:

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
she couldnt hurt it much worse than the guys who park it at the plant, or the guys who load and unload rail cars, or the truck driver, or the car wash guys at the dealership...

since its your car I say let her drive it... lol j/k

take the plug wires out before you leave and when it won't start tell her on the phone... oh, gosh well I will have to look at it when I get home, can you see if your dad can loan you a car?

lol and good luck

I know your just kidding but this dealership is the dealership that received a 03 about 2 weeks ago. While on the lot, someone, I believe an employee, moving an F-150 backed into the 03. They fixed the car but dayum don't want that to happen to mine.

MJ32v I think that would also work. My wife understands money.. She would believe it.

Last edited:

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by Hammer

Leme guess...you're single, right?

Not exactly, my beautiful girlfriend(technically now my wife) and I celebrated 20 years together last Dec. 6. Though no matter how beautiful she is, when my car comes in, she knows me well enough not to even ask if she can drive it(granted, I will as long as I'm with her).

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Elliotness

That said.

I simply don't want to hurt her feelings and tell her that I don't trust her with my car. It's true I don't trust her with my car. However, she would be hurt if I told her that I don't trust her with my car. If that in anyway can be construed as not wearing the pants in the family or not having balls, So be it. I think, no correction, I know I can't tell her I don't trust her. :nono: It would make the situation worse. Hence the ruse.

Elliotness, you seem like a nice guy.

The minute I drove my black coupe home, my wife was standing in the yard as proud as could be. That's because we feel for each other. I immediately got out and handed her the keys. She didn't want to drive it and I insisted. And she loved it. Still, she doesn't want to go near the car because it makes her nervous.

You know what I say to that?

FU@K THE CAR! Yes, I lust for my car. But, in all seriousness...
FU@K THE CAR! It's beautiful and a mechanical symphony. But it's just a hunk of metal.

Would I put a hunk of metal in front of my wife's feelings? The person who would do anything for me? The person who would make any sacrifice for me??
NEVER. NOT EVER! I let some friends drive my car. I let Jimmy V. take my car down the track. Why? Cause I ain't gonna be a stingy PRI@K over a car....no matter if it's $35,000 or $350,000.

It's just a matter of where your priorities are at. I have a philosophy:

LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS.

NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

IMO, anything short of that is a moral deficiency. Some guys on this board talk about how it's wrong to get warranty work after the car is modded. But yet they'll hold the stupid car in higher regard than family and friends??

GET A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can understand your circumstances (her track record...your being away for an extended period of time) but try to keep it all in perspective.

Honestly? All joking aside?

I would impress upon her to be careful and give her the keys. And I would tell her to enjoy the shit out of it. And if she got in an accident with it, I would get it fixed and get on with my life.

What would she do if the tables were turned? Would she turn into a stingy scumbag on your ass over a material possession? I hope not. If so, I feel bad for you. If so, you're being CHEATED out of the REALLY IMPORTANT things in life.

And those things don't include any material possessions!!!

C_Record

Established Member

That said.

Well, this is neither the time nor the place(thread) to lecture you. All I will say is, you don't want to hurt her feelings, but it appears she is oblivious to the fact that she does not know how to operate a vehicle properly and it's costing you(both of you) a lot of money, and undoubtedly creating frustration and tension between you. If I go on anymore, I'll have to charge you:)

Elliotness

Established Member

Well, this is neither the time nor the place(thread) to lecture you. All I will say is, you don't want to hurt her feelings, but it appears she is oblivious to the fact that she does not know how to operate a vehicle properly and it's costing you(both of you) a lot of money, and undoubtedly creating frustration and tension between you. If I go on anymore, I'll have to charge you:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator

That said.

Great answer. :beer:

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
In a perfect world, our life partner (wife or husband) would be completely trustworthy and we would always be honest with each other no matter the event. How many times have you choked down a meal and told her "it tastes great! Can I have some more?". Humans aren't perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread