How do I tell my wife

AzDropTop

Established Member
Just tell her that the dealer had a setback and it is going to be a couple of weeks late.

Goldy

Established Member
Looks like it's a goner. My suggestion is to get another '03 on order before it's too late.

I feel your pain. I had an '86 SVO Mustang. The first time my wife drove it, she had an accident and the car wound up on top of a guard rail. Here's my brand new SVO, not even 2 weeks old and nearly totalled. I told my wife "Just think hun...48 more payments and that baby is all ours!"

Since, my wife has driven my (our) '99 twice (under duress), and has no desire what so ever to touch the '03 (she avoids it like the plague). I do miss the '86 though. As I remind her every so often, "Only 3382 where made... now it's 3381".

Good luck.

Howard
Indy SVTOA chapter director

'99 Cobra Vert; Electric Green w/Black Top
'03 Cobra Vert; Black w/Black Top

CWCobra

Established Member
Been married 30 years this December. One lesson I learned a long time ago is to always tell the truth. Like Mark Twain said, you have to have an awfully good memory to lie; it's just too much trouble. Be honest with her. Tell her that she means more to you than the car, but you don't want her to drive the car until you get back. And that's the end of it. She may get mad, but it's better than making up something, and getting found out later.
Good luck,
CW

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Originally posted by 2k3biz

Sounds like quite a delima. You just have to train them from day one. ;-), but since you have a hell raiser from way back your kinda stuck.It's just a matter of time b4 you have to give it up anyways. So Lay down the strict break in procedure and hope for the best.. :coolman:

I have done this to my girl (pavlov dog style)
1. She says.."I want to drive your car"
---I say....nope...smack with stick...
2. She says .."please let me drive..."
---I say...nope...smack with stick...

repeat till the sight of the stick elicts no more requests.... :):rolling:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :beer:
Man that really is funny.

I think your best bet is to just take all the keys w/ you, end of story. It will be worth the peace of mind and if she gets upset just tell her it was an accident of some sort, like you took all of your papers that came w/ the car to review while you were gone and the keys were all in the folder.

Last edited:

Mako

Established Member
Originally posted by CWCobra
Been married 30 years this December. One lesson I learned a long time ago is to always tell the truth. Like Mark Twain said, you have to have an awfully good memory to lie; it's just too much trouble. Be honest with her. Tell her that she means more to you than the car, but you don't want her to drive the car until you get back. And that's the end of it. She may get mad, but it's better than making up something, and getting found out later.
Good luck,
CW

I agree, be honest, tell her that you think that it's too much car for her.

i8u

Established Member
1.Take of the negative battery cable.
2. Pull the fuel pump fuse or various others.
3. Unhook the crankshaft position sensor. (my personal favorite)
4. Unhook the starter cable.

Any of these will work.

My girlfriend wants to practice her manual skill on the 03.I think NOT!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
My girlfriend wants to practice her manual skill on the 03.I think NOT!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What is wrong with that? The 03 likes it when you rev it up to 4k and drop the clutch and forget to shift between gears.

Gatorac

Established Member
Pop the fuel pump inertia switch. These cars have that like the 5.0's, don't they. Wack it on the side and it should set it off. The car won't run for more than a few seconds. When you get back find the problem and claim that it must have went off when you slammed the trunk closed to hard.

Good luck.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What is wrong with that? The 03 likes it when you rev it up to 4k and drop the clutch and forget to shift between gears.

I taught her how to ride a stick in a 81 subaru wagon with less than 1000 miles on it last year. Took her less than one hour to burn up the clutch! No No No! She can ride me, not my clutch. :beer:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Gatorac
Pop the fuel pump inertia switch. These cars have that like the 5.0's, don't they. Wack it on the side and it should set it off. The car won't run for more than a few seconds. When you get back find the problem and claim that it must have went off when you slammed the trunk closed to hard.

Good luck.

Thats a good idea. Just hope she doesn't get stuck under the garage door!

Elliotness

Established Member
No more pictures.... PPPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEE. It's too painful.

All very good suggestions.

Can't take the car with me. I'm going to Goergia I live in El Paso. I have to be back on the night of the 10th day 8 hours after the training. These things are fast just not that fast.

I think I'm going to buy her a nice bracelet for our Anniversary and tell her I don't want her driving my car. I then will take the keys with me just in case she forgets. It's sounds bad that I can't trust her, but I can't trust her. I don't know if I could resist driving it for a week either. So I'll just take the keys and keep my sanity.

97cobravert the pics did it for me.... Absolutely no way will I leave the keys... :nono:

Last edited:

Hammer

Established Member
Being that I am a master manipulator, I have the answer you are looking for (assuming that you will be home when the car arrives):

You get the car, drive it around, etc.

When it's close to departure time, you inform your wife that there is some latent problem with the car...it's making some funny ticking noise (you can tell women that it's talking in tongues...they ain't technical so they'll buy anything).

You tell her that you have talked to the dealer and they are concerned that it is a serious problem based on the symptoms. They recommend bringing it in for service immediately and not to drive it until service.

You explain to your wife that you don't want the car sitting with the dealer for the duration of your trip. But it should not be driven at all until the problem is resolved.

BINGO! You go, the car sits and you don't have to hurt your wife's feelings.

Elliotness

Established Member
HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... I like it... It's deceiful, it's wrong, probably shouldn't tell her that. Hell man I'll try it.. I even have about a week and a half to hipe it up before I get the car.... I knew I could rely on my brethren...

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Elliotness
HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... I like it... It's deceiful, it's wrong, probably shouldn't tell her that. Hell man I'll try it.. I even have about a week and a half to hipe it up before I get the car.... I knew I could rely on my brethren...

EEEEHHHH????? I told you. Master of disguises!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hopefully she doesnt suddenly get interested in cars and decide to come looking for info at SVTPerformance.com in the 03 Cobra section.

Oops:)

I say pull a fuse or two and hide all the keys.

satx

Banned
just remember what is really important here and tell her that there is no way in hell she's driving it!

Users who are viewing this thread